Why won't Intel make (D)RAM?

I know I asked why won't Intel make dedicated GPUs about a week ago or so, but now I ask: Why won't Intel make DRAM?  

Seriously, they can make processors, integrated graphics, motherboards, thunderbolt, storage/SSDs, chipsets - what's stopping them from making RAM?  They make SRAM (cache), why not DRAM?

But what for?

Do you benefit anything if they start making rams?

5 minutes ago, VPrime said:

I know I asked why won't Intel make dedicated GPUs about a week ago or so, but now I ask: Why won't Intel make DRAM?  

Seriously, they can make processors, integrated graphics, motherboards, thunderbolt, storage/SSDs, chipsets - what's stopping them from making RAM?  They make SRAM (cache), why not DRAM?

How many companies make ram? Thats really the thing. If there are too many competitors then Intel may feel there is no money in it. They have to be able to make a profit. Just because they can make other chips doesn't mean they dont have to buy new equipment and such. They need to have a return on the investment. If that return takes too long or the margins are not good, then its not a good business plan. Remember, at the end of the day those pesky shareholders expect money, preferable increased profits. Im not sure if Intel pays dividends, but those dividends are a portion of profit. If they dont do real well that could mean little to no dividends paid. *Oh god nooooo.... My accounting class is haunting me........ * LOL 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

but why would they? the ram market is already over saturated and highly competative. its also likely intel doesnt have the proper foundries to do that, so they either have to invest in new factories or buy chips from another company and rebrand them. the profit just wouldnt out weigh the cost of producing it

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

heheheh

intel doesn't make DRAM because they'll be first on the boat to make NRAM

biggest problem for me right now is finding out definitively if they're on the boat with Nantero

Intel already shares technology with Micron - their SSDs are manufactured with Micron RAM products

With how saturated the market is it would legit be unnecessary and would likely end up being a waste of time. There's pretty much no difference between RAM these days and I" doubt even intel could change that.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

41 minutes ago, VPrime said:

You could but some AMD ram. lol.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/memory/overview

And intel doesn't even make motherboards anymore, and haven't since haswell (non refresh).

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

2 minutes ago, VPrime said:

Err, they make server class motherboards

Not as many as they used to, most of what they have up on intel ark is EOL, and they only have a few lga 1151, and 2011-3 boards that they are actually still making. 

http://ark.intel.com/m#@top-level/BoardsAndKits/ServerBoards-sub

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

kinda why they teamed up with Micron/Crucial Memory to develop the cross-point flash. the idea is to remove the needs for physical RAM and have a pool of non-volatile flash to be used as storage and random access memory, thus allowing the OS/user scale the flash to the needs of the operation.

the limitations of a ram drive is when the system is powered down, the info in the ram drive needs to be moved to a storage drive for future use. using a non-volatile solution now will have ludicrous speed, reliable power down integrity, and less physical devices (storage and RAM DIMMs).