Should I get a GTX 1070 or build a new PC

fiddycent

So as of right now my pc consists of a GTX 960, an fx8350, and 16gb of ram. Im looking to upgrade my graphics card to a gtx 1070 so that I can buy an HTC Vive, but the problem is the fx8350 would bottleneck the 1070 like crazy. So to upgrade I would need a new motherboard, a new processor, and of course the 1070. So I see my options like this 1.Build a completely new pc 2. Just deal with the bottleneck or 3. Upgrade what I need to upgrade but do no build another pc. Hopefully some people that know some more about these sort of things can help me out :)

wait for zen then get a new cpu and wait another year for new gpu's to be out. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

If you want to do more than 1080p gaming tsuch as 1440p then yes the 1070 is a way to upgrade. If not the 1060 is a good choice and you can save some cash and put it somewhere else in the system or just keep it in the bank to save for a greater pc build down the road as an upgrade.

your cpu falls as under the recommended field, but your gpu currently isnt

personally, I'd throw the extra money on a 1080, then upgrade the rest later, rather than going a 1070 and an upgrade 

yeah, your cpu in some cases will be a bottleneck but not in all, and really at best gaming wise, you'll only pull another year or two out of that rig playing new AAA's, and the 1080 should give you a year or two of use over a 1070 playing the future games 

just my two cents, and more learned people my think otherwise, but your money and frankly new card and mobo update vs just GPU, either is going to be better than what you've got now 

Start with getting at least a Skylake i5 and then consider getting a new GPU when you can afford it.

To RGB, or not to RGB? That is the question.

- Shakespeare. Hamlet, Act III, scene I.

5 minutes ago, StaffCorporal said:

Start with getting at least a Skylake i5 and then consider getting a new GPU when you can afford it.

but vive recommends a gtx 970 or better, so his current GPU will run it, but it not recommended 
his CPU however is recommended, soooooooo, while the 960 is a good card, might not be the best option/route for the vive  

3 minutes ago, Copuis said:

but vive recommends a gtx 970 or better, so his current GPU will run it, but it not recommended 
his CPU however is recommended, soooooooo, while the 960 is a good card, might not be the best option/route for the vive  

He could do it the other way around. But I would still, as I said already, upgrade both the CPU and GPU.

To RGB, or not to RGB? That is the question.

- Shakespeare. Hamlet, Act III, scene I.