New HDD for games and general storage

yougottrolled5

I've been looking for a new hdd for a while now and i have stumbled across a toshiba P300 2tb 7200rpm drive for $80 ($70 after promo code) on newegg. I am looking for a drive that has 1tb+ of storage and i didn't want to pay the ridiculous prices of wd blacks. so this fits the bill nicely. Currently I'm using a ssd for the OS and some drives from old computers, a 150gb and a 250gb. Are toshiba drives worth purchasing? Are they even reliable? Thank you in advance!

The Toshiba drive in my grandma's desktop has been going for god knows how long, and the random Toshiba 2.5" drive is incredibly old and still works. So I'd say yes.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 minutes ago, carlospicywiener said:

I've been looking for a new hdd for a while now and i have stumbled across a toshiba P300 2tb 7200rpm drive for $80 ($70 after promo code) on newegg. I am looking for a drive that has 1tb+ of storage and i didn't want to pay the ridiculous prices of wd blacks. so this fits the bill nicely. Currently I'm using a ssd for the OS and some drives from old computers, a 150gb and a 250gb. Are toshiba drives worth purchasing? Are they even reliable? Thank you in advance!

I like Western Digital Personally as toshibas quality is questionable now a day based on my experience with their products. Here is a link to a western digital drive on amazon for the same price and storage. I have always had good experiences with western digitals and so have many people I know. Segate can be a bit cheaper and simillar in quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Cache-Desktop-Drive-WD10EZEX/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1473730175&sr=1-1&keywords=western+digital

2 minutes ago, Jay917536 said:

I like Western Digital Personally as toshibas quality is questionable now a day based on my experience with their products. Here is a link to a western digital drive on amazon for the same price and storage. I have always had good experiences with western digitals and so have many people I know. Segate can be a bit cheaper and simillar in quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Cache-Desktop-Drive-WD10EZEX/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1473730175&sr=1-1&keywords=western+digital

Have to agree, I've always like WD. My Seagate drives have failed me before. And my Toshiba ones are slow. You can get the 2tb WD blue for same price.

4 minutes ago, Bishop435 said:

Have to agree, I've always like WD. My Seagate drives have failed me before. And my Toshiba ones are slow. You can get the 2tb WD blue for same price.

Yeah, me and all my friends have WD blues and all seem to be working well with no issues so far

5 minutes ago, carlospicywiener said:

i was thinking of the 1tb wd blue. how about the new seagate BarraCudas?

Seagate is often a bit cheaper but the cheaper price also comes with some quality loss. For me Western have always lasted the longest and been the most reliable over time in terms of failure and speed. Also I would recommend getting an SSD for a OS drive if you want to help boot times out a bit and save a few often used programs to it to help out load times for those application. I personally like Samsung SSDs and find the EVO 850 to be a good option for the price for about $80.

Just now, carlospicywiener said:

so basically stay away from toshiba/seagate and get a wd?

Stay away from Toshiba is my personal option. Seagate is okay if you can't afford a Western but more of those have failed on my and specifically under heavier use. I would Recommend going with the Western as being it is a good reliable drive with a good warranty and for the same price.

ok thank you guys. ill get a wd then. last question, are the wd blacks prices worth it?

7 minutes ago, Jay917536 said:

Seagate is often a bit cheaper but the cheaper price also comes with some quality loss. For me Western have always lasted the longest and been the most reliable over time in terms of failure and speed. Also I would recommend getting an SSD for a OS drive if you want to help boot times out a bit and save a few often used programs to it to help out load times for those application. I personally like Samsung SSDs and find the EVO 850 to be a good option for the price for about $80.

I have no problem with Seagate. I have a 2TB HDD

Just now, carlospicywiener said:

ok thank you guys. ill get a wd then. last question, are the wd blacks prices worth it?

no. get wd blue

2 minutes ago, carlospicywiener said:

Not unless you plan on keeping the drive long term 6+ years and running it hard like VMs off the drive all the time or continued heavy read and writ 24/7. Such as hosting a VM server.

3 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

I have no problem with Seagate. I have a 2TB HDD

no. get wd blue

I am just talking long term. About 6+ years of use. And being I do fix PCs seagate I often have to replace more than Western Digital personally.

i am planning on keeping the drive long term. ill keep an eye out for some sales on wds. thank you guys for all the help.

2 minutes ago, Jay917536 said:

I am just talking long term. About 6+ years of use. And being I do fix PCs seagate I often have to replace more than Western Digital personally.

Yeah WD is good. But depends on which Seagate. Some of them are good but for only few dollars more then WD blue would be better

I've had a seagate barracuda 2TB for a few years now, with all my games on it and the like. I didn't have a problem with it although now looking on pccasegear its actually 10 dollars AUD more than a WD blue 2TB! I don't really have any experiences with WD but peoples general opinion is that they are really great drives. From what reviews i have seen seagate drives start having more failure rates if you get any model above 2TB.

6 hours ago, carlospicywiener said:

~snip~

Hi there :)

My two cents here: Since this will be a gaming/general storage drive you don't really need any special features for the HDD. WD Blue should be a pretty good choice here and should suffice for your needs.

WD Black drives are designed for more extensive and heavier workloads and comes with a longer warranty and the ability to perform better during multitasking and long usages. I doubt that you will necessarily need these additions for your type of usage. Gaming generally rely on the storage's performance solely for the loading times and you won't notice any difference in the FPS and the graphics' quality. 

Let me know if you need any info on the WD drives :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/