Dual Channel ram vs single channel ram for a apu ?

Would dual channel ram be better for a apu or can I go with a single 8gb stick ? or does it matter ?

Doesn't matter, but 2x4 will look better than 1x8.

Unless you only have 2 ram slots, in which case get 1x8 for upgradeability.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If your MoBo supports dual channel, go dual channel ram, as it will be faster to do so.            

Ex. Instead of 1 8GB stick, buy 2 4GB sticks.

i5-8600K -  Asus Strix Z370E - Asus GTX 1060 Strix - EVGA 650W P2 - Samsung 970 Pro 500GB - G.Skill TridentZ 16GB

my motherboard would be 4 slots would that fry the motherboard if its single channel ?

1 minute ago, Quinnerbone said:

my motherboard would be 4 slots would that fry the motherboard if its single channel ?

No. I've heard that APUs get a boost with dual channel RAM.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

no you will only use 1 ram slot but if theres 4 go with 4x4gb for 16gb it wont fry go dual channel 

Edit: If you have a Radeon Card you can run it in Dual Graphics mode so it combines the power of the IGPU of a APU and the Graphics card for better graphical performance but it has to be a radeon card 

PC's I Have Built And Currently Still in House:

Main PC (My One):

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k @5.00Ghz

Motherboard: Asus Strix Z270-E Gaming ATX

Ram: G.Skill Trident Z 32gb (4 x 8) 3200mhz

Storage: 2TB Segate Barracuda HDD, 960gb HyperX Savage (Games), 240gb Samsung 850 Evo (OS)

Case: Corsair 750D

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 1000w PSU

Graphics Card: 2x Asus Strix GeForce GTX 1080TI (SLI) 

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Cooling: Custom Water Cooling

APU's benefit majorly from more/faster RAM.
Dual channel will give you a significant boost in graphics power (around 10% even).
The difference between DDR4 and DDR3 is also similar.

Upgrading from 1600 to 1866 could potentially give you a larger increase in speed, but this will depend on the capabilities of your APU

23 minutes ago, Sydlexic Deity said:

APU's benefit majorly from more/faster RAM.
Dual channel will give you a significant boost in graphics power (around 10% even).
The difference between DDR4 and DDR3 is also similar.

Upgrading from 1600 to 1866 could potentially give you a larger increase in speed, but this will depend on the capabilities of your APU

1866 is the least an APU can do. As with dual channel, faster ram will also be most noticeable for APUs. 

5 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

1866 is the least an APU can do. As with dual channel, faster ram will also be most noticeable for APUs. 

Mine has been on 1600 for a while? :P

6 hours ago, Sydlexic Deity said:

Mine has been on 1600 for a while? :P

You can go as low as you want. What I say is that all APUs are capable of at least 1866 or 2133 out of the box, it's only above 2133 that it becomes chip-dependent. 

8 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You can go as low as you want. What I say is that all APUs are capable of at least 1866 or 2133 out of the box, it's only above 2133 that it becomes chip-dependent. 

Oh right - I see what you mean.

What I was saying is that the performance increase you would see with increased RAM speed also varies depending on which APU you're using :P