g4400 vs fx-4300 (for gaming)

Go to solution Solved by Mr.Meerkat,

If you're only considering pure gaming performance then the FX4300 easily but if you consider the future upgrade path then the G4400 is better as it's on an socket where i3s, i5s and i7s are available :P (and you already have DDR4)

What budget do you have? I'll quickly whisk something up for you if you want me to :D 

double edit: Never mind, the pentium is LGA 1151 xD

Just now, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Which games are those? About the only thing I can think of are emulators.

Any source games. Any. Also a few others I can't name (World of tanks/warplans(lol)/warships I forgot about)

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

With tax Jay built a very usable system for under 400 bucks. Just saying. Also for those going omg AMD cpu no upgrade path, consider that the cpu and mobo together was like 40 bucks. Its very reasonable just to take that hit because you would by changing and intel cpu anyway.

For a purpose gaming machine, I'm going to say neither. Whichever way you go, you're giving up performance in some games (whether they favor single thread, or won't even boot on a 2 thread cpu). 

To avoid such a compromise, an i3 is minimum. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Please save a little more money and buy the i3-6100 - the pentium and the FX are really not going to cut it!

You would be better off buying an old i5-2400 and suitable motherboard for similar money rather than buying the FX or the pentium

(I owned the Pentium, its not enough, choked out even a 650ti)

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

10 hours ago, Cheddle said:

Please save a little more money and buy the i3-6100 - the pentium and the FX are really not going to cut it!

You would be better off buying an old i5-2400 and suitable motherboard for similar money rather than buying the FX or the pentium

(I owned the Pentium, its not enough, choked out even a 650ti)

And an athlon x4 is just as fast as sandy i5s...so you may as well be buying the FX chip (the FX has a slightly lower IPC than the athlon but it has L3 cache so it's faster than the athlon in some scenarios). 

18 hours ago, Imglidinhere said:

Teens generally don't care enough to build a state of the art PC for pennies on the dollar. The HD 520 is capable enough for any E-sports title and handles games on medium settings well enough. Most everyday people don't need a GPU, even most budget gamers do FINE without a dedicated GPU. Hence why an i3 would be infinitely better.

HD520 is enough my ass :D 

It's enough for games like CSGO and TF2 but try playing something like the culling or R6S or something like planetside then hello 720p ;) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

10 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

And an athlon x4 is just as fast as sandy i5s...so you may as well be buying the FX chip (the FX has a slightly lower IPC than the athlon but it has L3 cache so it's faster than the athlon in some scenarios). 

HD520 is enough my ass :D 

It's enough for games like CSGO and TF2 but try playing something like the culling or R6S or something like planetside then hello 720p ;) 

And people who use budget machines generally don't play games that suck... TF2 is Free to play and CS:GO is THE most played game on the planet right now. As far as playerbase goes, it surpasses WoW. And if I'm talking out my ass, then how'd you come to that conclusion? I played on an HD4000 iGPU for nearly half a year. The HD 520 is around 50% faster in all potential scenarios at the minimum. There are plenty of games that play perfectly well with that kind of performance. I'm no super gaming enthusiast and most teens are FINE using the iGPUs of today. Besides, the iGPU I've spoken of is actually not half bad and most games on low settings still look good enough for most people. :P 

That and having a better processor and then upgrading to a dedicated GPU is always a great path to take down the road. The i3-6100 will smoke an FX-4300 in any test. Besides, the original question was "Which CPU is better?" Not "Which CPU should I buy?". The OP NEVER stated he was going to buy either processor. :P 

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260