yavuz650

My current specs are

i7 2600k
16gb ddr3 ram
gtx 750ti
1tb seagate hdd
PEGATRON motherboard(pre built pc)
windows 10* home installed

I'm planning to get an 1151 motherboard. Probably an h110. Along with the mobo I'll also get an i5-6500. So,when I get the parts I'm just gonna replace the motherboard and CPU rest of the system remains the same. When I'm done installing the new mobo and the CPU, is there anything I should be aware of when I boot it the first time? Will the windows 10 remain as it is or will I have to reinstall it somehow? 

Also, what about the motherboard drivers? Do I need to remove the previous drivers(ME,Audio,Lan...so on)? Or should I just install the new motherboard's drivers?

*Pre-built pc came with windows 7 installed when I first bought it. Recently I received the free upgrade to windows 10, as everyone else I did upgrade it. Thus I don't have a concrete windows 10 key but I do have a windows 7 home premium key.

Thanks in advance.

When you first boot the machine, be sure to get into your BIOS/UEFI settings to make sure anything specific to your hardware is set, and to double-check that the time and date are set correctly (this can mess with some authentication checks).

Though newer Windows-versions have been increasingly adept at adapting to significant hardware changes, there is still a good chance that your system won't boot to the desktop just like that. So far I've been unable to find any logic in it: sometimes your system will need a reboot or two to adjust to its new innards, sometimes no matter how minor the motherboard change seems to be, it just won't work and you'll need to reinstall completely. Back-ups ahead of time are a good idea.

If your system does boot to desktop, congratulations! You've just saved a ton of extra work. You'll still want to make sure your new drivers are installed. The old drivers are there, but won't be used as the hardware isn't present. If your old motherboard came with any software for tuning or other special features, that may still run, so be sure to uninstall that at least before you do the upgrade.

In any case, you'll need to re-activate Windows after the motherboard change, as your system will now be considered a new computer. The Windows 10 upgrade automatically authenticates based on your motherboard hardware profile, so you may actually not be able to activate on the new board. If you had upgraded from a Windows 7 retail version, you might have been able to fix this with a call to the automated phone authentication system. Since you were using an OEM version that came with the pre-built system, that license is technically tied to the old configuration and you may need to get your hands on a new Windows 10 license.

I know most of this post is rather vague about what can and can not be done. As much experience as I have with swapping out mainboards on a multitude of systems, there really haven't been any patterns that I could discern as to what does and does not let your system boot afterward, and I've always warned my customers to expect to need a clean install. And the free Windows 10 upgrade has only just ended, so not much experience with upgrading (hardware) upgraded (Windows 10) computers yet...

Good luck with the upgrade!

daily driver
Intel Core i7-950 | ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 | 6x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800 | ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SB X-Fi Titanium
Samsung 840 EVO + WD Caviar Black | Fractal Define R3 | Phanteks/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 | Apple Mac-F222BEC8 | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-8500 | GeForce 320M
SanDisk SDSSDP | Apple A1278 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

Microsoft Lumia 950

Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 | 3GB RAM | Adreno 418 | Windows 10 Mobile

daily driver 2

Intel Core i5-750 | ASUS P7P55-M | 4x1GB Elpida PC3-8500 | Sapphire Radeon HD5870 | SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
Crucial M4 + WD AV-GP Green | Fractal Define R3 | Scythe/Gelid/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Intel Core i7-3615QM | Apple Mac-4B7AC7E434945597E | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-12800 | GeForce GT650M
WD Blue | Apple A1286 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

server

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1620 | Jetway JNC62K | 2GB Corsair Value Select PC2-6400 | GeForce 8200 IGP
WD Caviar SE16 + AV-GP Green + 2x Red | Chenbro ES34069 | Scythe/Nexus/Noctua cooling | Windows Home Server

coming soon: Eve V

Intel Core i7-7Y75 | Skybay U3E1 | 2x8GB Samsung PC3LP-14900 | Intel HD 615
Intel 600P | Eve V Aluminium Unibody | Windows 10 Pro

Basically what you're saying is, I can not know what is going to happen. I have to find a solution depending on the whatever case I'm going to face and that case really could vary. I'm fine with that, computer hardware stuff has always been this way.

About the windows 10 authentication... which scares me most, honestly. You're saying that most likely I won't be able to re-activate the windows 10. However though, you mentioned that automated phone authentication system. I hope that's a way of activating windows 10 without paying for a new license key. . Could you tell me about it a bit more?

5 minutes ago, yavuz650 said:

Basically what you're saying is, I can not know what is going to happen. I have to find a solution depending on the whatever case I'm going to face and that case really could vary. I'm fine with that, computer hardware stuff has always been this way.

About the windows 10 authentication... which scares me most, honestly. You're saying that most likely I won't be able to re-activate the windows 10. However though, you mentioned that automated phone authentication system. I hope that's a way of activating windows 10 without paying for a new license key. . Could you tell me about it a bit more?

TDLR: you will have to reinstall windows, you might have to buy a new key.

you can get a key cheap off kinguin for like 30 bucks

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

TDLR: you will have to reinstall windows, you might have to buy a new key.

you can get a key cheap off kinguin for like 30 bucks

I would rather resort to Windows customer support and ask for their help. Do you think they might supply me with a new license key? Because.. you see I already have a windows 10 license. It shouldn't be wasted for a motherboard upgrade...

If this doesn't work then I might consider buying it.

And no it was not too long and I did read all of it several times. I sincerely thank DHelios for his time.

Just now, yavuz650 said:

I would rather resort to Windows customer support and ask for their help. Do you think they might supply me with a new license key?

If this doesn't work then I might consider buying it.

And no it was not too long and I did read all of it several times. I sincerely thank DHelios for his time.

you wont get a new key but they might be able to help u with activation, keep a hold of the windows 7 sticker on the side of ur case

Just now, TrigrH said:

you wont get a new key but they might be able to help u with activation, keep a hold of the windows 7 sticker on the side of ur case

ROFL! You nailed the windows 7 sticker part! Yeah a new key isn't needed, i just need the activation...

12 minutes ago, yavuz650 said:

I did not fully read this thread. but however if you did the free upgrade to windows 10 and you have to reinstall the OS, just download the program microsoft supplies on their website burn it to a DVD or USB then when you go back and install the OS and it asks for the product key just selece "I don't have a product key" and when it finishes installing it will automatically reactivate your liscense. I have done it multiple times and it is not stealing from the company, its the way they designed it to work, basically your hardware is synced to your microsoft account and will reactivate whenever you install it on the same machine as long as you dont just switched out every peice of hardware at once. if your going to rebuild your pc with all brandnew parts my suggestion would be to switch out one peice every other day and let your new hardware sync with your microsoft account until you have switched out all hardware.

Brandon Marsh

4 minutes ago, marshmallowbam said:

I did not fully read this thread. but however if you did the free upgrade to windows 10 and you have to reinstall the OS, just download the program microsoft supplies on their website burn it to a DVD or USB then when you go back and install the OS and it asks for the product key just selece "I don't have a product key" and when it finishes installing it will automatically reactivate your liscense. I have done it multiple times and it is not stealing from the company, its the way they designed it to work, basically your hardware is synced to your microsoft account and will reactivate whenever you install it on the same machine as long as you dont just switched out every peice of hardware at once. if your going to rebuild your pc with all brandnew parts my suggestion would be to switch out one peice every other day and let your new hardware sync with your microsoft account until you have switched out all hardware.

Are you sure about this? Switching out parts every other day... that seems extremely weird.. It is not my case though, I'm just gonna upgrade the motherboard and the CPU

When you say the program microsoft supplies on their website, I think you refer to Media Creation Tool which I recently did use to download windows 10 setup to a USB. 

You say it will automatically reactivate my license. Do you know how this works? How does windows know I'm the same guy with a valid license and just reactivates itself?

When Windows fails to authenticate, you'll be offered the option to call Microsoft. Your computer will generate an activation request key and give you a phone number based on your location. At least here in the Netherlands, the call is toll-free.

Initially you'll be put in contact with an automated system. You enter the activation request key, and they will analyse it and give you a response. Since the request key is generated based on your license key and your hardware profile, it will show Microsoft that you're basically installing Windows on a new computer. They might give you a response key that you then enter into the computer, but more than likely they'll not okay it so easily.

If they do not accept your request key, a few things might happen. First, they may simply ask you 'how many computers have you installed this license on'. If you then answer 'one', they'll generally just give you the response key. If they do not, you'll probably be put through to an employee.

Now, this employee will probably be in India, and will probably be working off a script. I'd recommend telling them that your computer broke down and the motherboard had to be replaced to fix it. That way, you're still using 'the same computer' and they'll usually give you a response key or put you back on with the automated system which will then give you the response key.

The license on the side of your case is an OEM license though, and going by the rules, it's only valid for the computer it came with. You make significant changes to that machine, and Microsoft can consider it a 'new computer' and deny your activation request.

daily driver
Intel Core i7-950 | ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 | 6x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800 | ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SB X-Fi Titanium
Samsung 840 EVO + WD Caviar Black | Fractal Define R3 | Phanteks/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 | Apple Mac-F222BEC8 | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-8500 | GeForce 320M

Microsoft Lumia 950

daily driver 2

Intel Core i5-750 | ASUS P7P55-M | 4x1GB Elpida PC3-8500 | Sapphire Radeon HD5870 | SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
Crucial M4 + WD AV-GP Green | Fractal Define R3 | Scythe/Gelid/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

Intel Core i7-3615QM | Apple Mac-4B7AC7E434945597E | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-12800 | GeForce GT650M

server

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1620 | Jetway JNC62K | 2GB Corsair Value Select PC2-6400 | GeForce 8200 IGP
WD Caviar SE16 + AV-GP Green + 2x Red | Chenbro ES34069 | Scythe/Nexus/Noctua cooling | Windows Home Server

1 minute ago, yavuz650 said:

Are you sure about this? Switching out parts every other day... that seems extremely weird.. It is not my case though, I'm just gonna upgrade the motherboard and the CPU

When you say the program microsoft supplies on their website, I think you refer to Media Creation Tool which I recently did use to download windows 10 setup to a USB. 

You say it will automatically reactivate my license. Do you know how this works? How does windows know I'm the same guy with a valid license and just reactivates itself?

basically it will sync your hardware configuration to your microsoft account you use to sign into your computer. I had used this method more then 10 times now cause i kept having harddrive failures where my MBR would randomly go missing to the point where i couldnt create another one without corrupting the file format of the drive itself. As for what information it syncs specifically i have no idea, im not sure if it just registers EX. Core I5, 760GTX, 8gb Ram, 2x 1tb harddrives or if it registers the produc ID codes specifically to your account.

Brandon Marsh

6 minutes ago, DHelios said:

When Windows fails to authenticate, you'll be offered the option to call Microsoft. Your computer will generate an activation request key and give you a phone number based on your location. At least here in the Netherlands, the call is toll-free.

Initially you'll be put in contact with an automated system. You enter the activation request key, and they will analyse it and give you a response. Since the request key is generated based on your license key and your hardware profile, it will show Microsoft that you're basically installing Windows on a new computer. They might give you a response key that you then enter into the computer, but more than likely they'll not okay it so easily.

If they do not accept your request key, a few things might happen. First, they may simply ask you 'how many computers have you installed this license on'. If you then answer 'one', they'll generally just give you the response key. If they do not, you'll probably be put through to an employee.

Now, this employee will probably be in India, and will probably be working off a script. I'd recommend telling them that your computer broke down and the motherboard had to be replaced to fix it. That way, you're still using 'the same computer' and they'll usually give you a response key or put you back on with the automated system which will then give you the response key.

The license on the side of your case is an OEM license though, and going by the rules, it's only valid for the computer it came with. You make significant changes to that machine, and Microsoft can consider it a 'new computer' and deny your activation request.

Very useful information. Thanks a lot! I'll see what happens when I upgrade the motherboard. I will make sure to contact this forum if I run into a problem with the activation part.

For the Windows 10 upgrade, your system hardware ID is basically used as your license key. So instead of earlier versions where an activation request key was generated based on your license key and the hardware profile (so Microsoft can check that that key was used on that same computer before), they just check that that computer was authorised to run Windows 10.

If you have to reinstall using the same hardware, you should not need to enter any key. Just pick 'I have no license key' during install, and Windows will handle authentication once it can connect to Microsoft's servers.

If you have different hardware though, the whole idea behind this system is that it doesn't activate your Windows.

Swapping out bits and pieces may help with smaller upgrades, but motherboard and CPU are pretty much a given for needing re-authentication. From techtarget.com:

What triggers the need to reactivate Windows? As intended, each hardware component gets a relative weight, and from that WGA determines whether your copy of Windows 7 needs reactivation. The weight and the number of changes is apparently a guarded secret. If you upgrade too much at once, WAT decides that your PC is new, and things can get messy.

The actual algorithm that Microsoft uses is not disclosed, but we do know the weighting of components is as follows, from highest to lowest:

1. Motherboard (and CPU)
  2. Hard drive
  3. Network interface card (NIC)
  4. Graphics card
  5. RAM

daily driver

Microsoft Lumia 950

daily driver 2

server

5 minutes ago, DHelios said:

For the Windows 10 upgrade, your system hardware ID is basically used as your license key. So instead of earlier versions where an activation request key was generated based on your license key and the hardware profile (so Microsoft can check that that key was used on that same computer before), they just check that that computer was authorised to run Windows 10.

If you have to reinstall using the same hardware, you should not need to enter any key. Just pick 'I have no license key' during install, and Windows will handle authentication once it can connect to Microsoft's servers.

If you have different hardware though, the whole idea behind this system is that it doesn't activate your Windows.

Swapping out bits and pieces may help with smaller upgrades, but motherboard and CPU are pretty much a given for needing re-authentication. From techtarget.com:

Does that mean windows isn't going to reactivate? Because obviously CPU and motherboard are on the top of that list....

I guess I'll need to re-authenticate? Is this where the phone automated system kicks in?

And... have you read this article?

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

1 hour ago, yavuz650 said:

Does that mean windows isn't going to reactivate? Because obviously CPU and motherboard are on the top of that list....

I guess I'll need to re-authenticate? Is this where the phone automated system kicks in?

And... have you read this article?

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

sorry for highjacking ur post ..... and thanks for the article link .... i have a prebuilt dell pc ........  i have to change motherboard as none of the back usb ports work ?? ....... 

but because of everything being, like proprietary psu cables and front header connection from cabinet ..... i have change most things ....... 

so i short i am going to use the cpu, graphics card, hard disk and optical drive from pre-built and everything will be new do i still have to buy windows 10 as like OP i also have upgraded from windows 7 home to windows 10 ....

Any help will be highly appreciated .....

Any specific reason why you concider upgrading from a i7-2600K to a Skylake i5 6500?

Asside from some new feutures that come with the skylake platform.

I personaly dont realy see much reasons for this upgrade atall.

Other then benefitting from some of those newer feutures.

If you realy need some of the newer feutures that the Skylake platform has to offer.

Then sure, but going from a decently performing i7 to an i5 just mainly because of a platform that offers newer feutures.

I´m not realy sure if that would be a satisfying upgrade.

I would personaly rather go with.

- 6700K + Z170 board.

- 6700 + H170 / H110, B150 or one of the cheaper Z170 boards.

- Xeon E3-1230-V5 + Asus E3-V5 pro gaming or Asrock E3-V5 performance OC motherboard.

Of course the Skylake 6500 has better per core performance and ipc then the Sandybridge cpu´s.

And also comes with certain new feutures and instruction sets.

But it highly depends on what kind of workloads you are doing.

If we talk about gaming, an overclocked 2600K is still decently enough for the latest AAA titles.

2 hours ago, Sintezza said:

Any specific reason why you concider upgrading from a i7-2600K to a Skylake i5 6500?

Asside from some new feutures that come with the skylake platform.

I personaly dont realy see much reasons for this upgrade atall.

Other then benefitting from some of those newer feutures.

If you realy need some of the newer feutures that the Skylake platform has to offer.

Then sure, but going from a decently performing i7 to an i5 just mainly because of a platform that offers newer feutures.

I´m not realy sure if that would be a satisfying upgrade.

I would personaly rather go with.

- 6700K + Z170 board.

- 6700 + H170 / H110, B150 or one of the cheaper Z170 boards.

- Xeon E3-1230-V5 + Asus E3-V5 pro gaming or Asrock E3-V5 performance OC motherboard.

Of course the Skylake 6500 has better per core performance and ipc then the Sandybridge cpu´s.

And also comes with certain new feutures and instruction sets.

But it highly depends on what kind of workloads you are doing.

If we talk about gaming, an overclocked 2600K is still decently enough for the latest AAA titles.

Yeah I would like to get those z170 boards with fancy 6700k CPUs... But money doesn't grow on trees remember?

My Rx 480 is incompatible with my current motherboard. Therefore I need a new motherboard, and with a new motherboard obviously I'm gonna need a new cpu because of the socket difference. 6500 is affordable and server well for gaming..

@Tim Serious

you should follow the instructions in this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Once you done these steps, I think you'll be fine after the upgrade. Although I would love to get expert's ideas.

Especially @DHelios  What do you think about this method I just described?

42 minutes ago, yavuz650 said:

@Tim Serious

you should follow the instructions in this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Once you done these steps, I think you'll be fine after the upgrade. Although I would love to get expert's ideas.

thnx

18 hours ago, yavuz650 said:

[...]

Looks like that got introduced with the Anniversary Update. Tie your Windows license to your account rather than to your machine, like with Office 365... I like it. If it works as advertised, that may just save you a lot of hassle! That said, I don't have any experience using this new feature, so I'll be curious to read what happened afterwards.

daily driver

Microsoft Lumia 950

daily driver 2

server

19 hours ago, yavuz650 said:

Yeah I would like to get those z170 boards with fancy 6700k CPUs... But money doesn't grow on trees remember?

My Rx 480 is incompatible with my current motherboard. Therefore I need a new motherboard.

isnt it?

Does your board shut down wenn running a RX480 in it?

Also which RX480 are we talking about?

The pci-e out of spec isnt an issue anymore with custom cards.

Only with referense cards, but i have only seen 3 or 4 people that were complaining about shutting down issues with an older board.

The pci-e out of spec hype train, is realy blown out of porportion.

Also another option would be to search for a Z77 board.

On ‎13‎.‎09‎.‎2016 at 2:21 PM, Sintezza said:

isnt it?

Does your board shut down wenn running a RX480 in it?

Also which RX480 are we talking about?

The pci-e out of spec isnt an issue anymore with custom cards.

Only with referense cards, but i have only seen 3 or 4 people that were complaining about shutting down issues with an older board.

The pci-e out of spec hype train, is realy blown out of porportion.

Also another option would be to search for a Z77 board.

It's a Sapphire Rx 480 nitro 8gb video card. No nothing shuts down when running rx 480. When i install the card to the motherboard and boot the pc up. The GPU's leds light up and fans start spinning but I don't get a signal on the monitor. The GPU doesn't send any signal it's just a blackscreen and it just stands by like that forever. The motherboard is P67 one. It's a Pegatron so it's not something you can buy from a retailer. But yeah 750ti works fine with it.

I did some research about this incompatibility issue. Many people did have this problem, however as they updated their BIOS problem seems to disappear. This isn't possible with a Pegatron.

I was also told by the company whom I had bought the PC from that it was possible for GPU's to send no signal when they are installed to an older motherboard such as mine.

3 hours ago, yavuz650 said:

It's a Sapphire Rx 480 nitro 8gb video card. No nothing shuts down when running rx 480. When i install the card to the motherboard and boot the pc up. The GPU's leds light up and fans start spinning but I don't get a signal on the monitor. The GPU doesn't send any signal it's just a blackscreen and it just stands by like that forever. The motherboard is P67 one. It's a Pegatron so it's not something you can buy from a retailer. But yeah 750ti works fine with it.

I did some research about this incompatibility issue. Many people did have this problem, however as they updated their BIOS problem seems to disappear. This isn't possible with a Pegatron.

Yeah i know that pegatron boards are kinda a pain in the ass sometimes.

But how about look and if you could find a decent Z77 board for cheap?

Wouldnt that be a cheaper option?

It would. I did make some search for them. Couldn't find any retailer selling one. All I could find was H61 motherboards which are very old.