What Causes a PC to blackscreen?

Mr.Meerkat

Alright guys, I need a list of causes/reasons for a PC that blackscreens...

Situation:

At first switching out the GPU seems to have solved the blackscreening issue (and it did partly) but after playing CS (and on the map specifically cbble), every match my computer blackscreens (only on that very specific map however) so I just want a list of causes of blackscreening so I can get to work fixing it :P. R6S no longer blackscreens and whatever but if the issues still persists then it's probably something else that's faulty :/ (and PC blackscreens in other scenarios with other GPUs)

Specs:

CPU: 5820K

Mobo: Asus x99-s

Ram: Kingston 4x4GB 2400Mhz fury

GPU: Asus STRIX RX470 (which I picked up for 110 quid...), Reference 290X cooled with a H75 and gelid VRM HS, Inno3D 1060, 2 7950s (and yes, blackscreening happens in different senarios for all GPUs, before I only tested what I knew made my PC blackscreen...now I've gone into the problem further...)

PSU: XFX XTS 1kW

Causes that I know that causes a PC to blackscreen:

Dying GPU (not the case here...or at least it's not for 4 of the GPUs [the 290X is dying...I cri...])

Bad PSU (I feel like it may be the problem...5 GPUs, all have similar issues on this specific PC)

Software issues (very likely actually as I didn't reinstall windows 7 when I went from a z77 to x99...)

?? I always thought blackscreening were GPU/PSU related :/ 

Thanks peeps :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Causes of a black screen: forgot to turn on the monitor

290/290x's are notorious for having black screen issues when they get too warm... When I had mine I had the same issues. AMD say it used to be a driver issue that is now fixed but I dont believe them I think its a hardware issue. Not that its much help to you but I swapped out my AMD cards for 980Ti's and the issue resolved it self.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

4 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Alright guys, I need a list of causes/reasons for a PC that blackscreens...

Situation:

At first switching out the GPU seems to have solved the blackscreening issue (and it did partly) but after playing CS (and on the map specifically cbble), every match my computer blackscreens (only on that very specific map however) so I just want a list of causes of blackscreening so I can get to work fixing it :P. R6S no longer blackscreens and whatever but if the issues still persists then it's probably something else that's faulty :/ (and PC blackscreens in other scenarios with other GPUs)

Blackscreens permanently, or goes to black and back on again? In the latter case, it could be the GPU driver crashing and restarting.

Just now, TheRandomness said:

CPU shit itself

RAM died

GPU crapped itself

PSU surged hard

Motherboard decided to die

..etc

CPU: IDEK maybe fine?

RAM: I am getting windows errors on RAM (gonna do a ram check in a bit)

GPU: Hmmm...5 GPUs all crapping itself? I think not? (The 290X has it's vRAM chips fried I think...1.5+GB of vRAM utilisation and bam...)

PSU: IDEK, had other issues before...

Motherboard: IDEK as well...

The CPU, PSU, motherboard and RAM were all upgraded 7 months ago at the same time...so...one of them could be faulty? blackscreening did start to happen like one every three weeks when I upgraded...but it didn't concern me at the time :/ 

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Blackscreens permanently, or goes to black and back on again? In the latter case, it could be the GPU driver crashing and restarting.

Perm

Just now, Altecice said:

290/290x's are notorious for having black screen issues when they get too warm... When I had mine I had the same issues. AMD say it used to be a driver issue that is now fixed but I dont believe them I think its a hardware issue. Not that its much help to you but I swapped out my AMD cards for 980Ti's and the issue resolved it self.

I know...the issues is it's across 5 different cards...a 1060, 290X, RX470 and 2 7950s...I've only not tested my 560 with this system...

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

I know...the issues is it's across 5 different cards...a 1060, 290X, RX470 and 2 7950s...I've only not tested my 560 with this system...

Hmmm... Well I would start looking to try a different PSU, if you still have the issue I would then start looking at the motherboard.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

2 minutes ago, Altecice said:

Hmmm... Well I would start looking to try a different PSU, if you still have the issue I would then start looking at the motherboard.

egh...well time to pull apart my miner then...(that has the old PSU in it...a XFX XXX 850Watt in it, yes I used to have 2 290Xs so that's why I have 2 high wattage PSUs).

God damn, why does my PC not like me ;-;