A good cooler for an i7 4770k 4.0ghz and up

ahmedmayed

hey guys ive been willing to overclock my i7 4770k but i only have the stock cooler  im thinking on overclocking to over 4.0 GHz hoping up to 4.3 but i have no idea on which cooler to go with my CPU thanks in advanced!

Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

What ram, case, and motherboard do you have?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

What ram, case, and motherboard do you have?

sorry not sure if this is the way to reply/ 

im located in dubai (really hot city) my budget is under 100$ and im shopping from amazon

i have 16 gb crosair vengeance ram , corsair r300 case ,  asus gryphon z87 TUF mobo

Just now, ahmedmayed said:

im located in dubai (really hot city) my budget is under 100$

i have 16 gb crosair vengeance ram , corsair r300 case ,  asus gryphon z87 TUF mobo

i think for $100 you can get a nice AIO liquid cooler. like the corsiar h100i or something

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

i think for $100 you can get a nice AIO liquid cooler. like the corsiar h100i or something

im just scared of the water and i move a lot in my house so im scared the water will drip

im located in dubai (really hot city) my budget is under 100$ and im shopping from amazon

Yep, quoting is a good way to reply.

The Macho Direct is a good option: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/TsL7YJ/thermalright-cpu-cooler-machodirect

You can mount the fan at the rear in pull for better compatibility with the Vengeance ram.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yep, quoting is a good way to reply.

The Macho Direct is a good option: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/TsL7YJ/thermalright-cpu-cooler-machodirect

You can mount the fan at the rear in pull for better compatibility with the Vengeance ram.

im sorry might be a stupid question but whats the rear in pull? and thanks for the suggestion :3

12 minutes ago, ahmedmayed said:

hey guys ive been willing to overclock my i7 4770k but i only have the stock cooler  im thinking on overclocking to over 4.0 GHz hoping up to 4.3 but i have no idea on which cooler to go with my CPU thanks in advanced!

Depending on the case you've got, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is a good choice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just now, TheKDub said:

Depending on the case you've got, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is a good choice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

i thought of the 212 but i heard its for light OC im not sure if a 4.0 and above is a light OC but its a good price for it btw i have the corsair 300r case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K63N29563&cm_re=corsair_r-_-9SIA1K63N29563-_-Product

i thought of the 212 but i heard its for light OC im not sure if a 4.0 and above is a light OC but its a good price for it btw i have the corsair 300r case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K63N29563&cm_re=corsair_r-_-9SIA1K63N29563-_-Product

i have a hyper 212 evo and i ran a 6 core Xeon X5660 overclocked to 4.5GHz and the max load temps were 70c 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

i have a hyper 212 evo and i ran a 6 core Xeon X5660 overclocked to 4.5GHz and the max load temps were 70c 

wow. so should i go with the hyper 212 evo and save my money for something else that can be useful too?

7 minutes ago, ahmedmayed said:

im sorry might be a stupid question but whats the rear in pull? and thanks for the suggestion :3

The product pictures show the fan in the front of the heatsink in push. Fans can be mounted as push or pull in respect to a heatsink, rad, or obstruction. Push/pull refers to whether the fan is pushing air or pulling air through the heatsink. 

For example: Push-Pull-config.png

The Macho Direct is offset for ram clearance but you may need to move the fan to the other side if you need more.

1025059_3__65925-3.jpg?1450340123

3 minutes ago, ahmedmayed said:

4.3ghz isn't that much for a 4770k and should be fine for a 212 Evo. The Macho Direct is a good step or two up from the 212 Evo and is also quieter though.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The product pictures show the fan in the front of the heatsink in push. Fans can be mounted as push or pull in respect to a heatsink, rad, or obstruction. Push/pull refers to whether the fan is pushing air or pulling air through the heatsink. 

For example: Push-Pull-config.png

The Macho Direct is offset for ram clearance but you may need to move the fan to the other side if you need more.

1025059_3__65925-3.jpg?1450340123

4.3ghz isn't that much for a 4770k and should be fine for a 212 Evo. The Macho Direct is a good step or two up from the 212 Evo and is also quieter though.

noise istn really a problem (PLEASE DONT HATE ME) because i play a lot of cpu intensive games for eg arma 3 and u cant run that game unless u have an amazing cpu with a good OC so i really want to OC wto the highest i an with my cpu

3 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

yea the hyper 212 evo isnt a bad choice at all for a budget CPU cooler. 4.3GHz isn much of an OC on that 4770k plus you have a 4 core 8 thread CPU while i have a 6 core 12 thread CPU. though keep in mind that since you are in dubai the temperature there is hotter so it will affect your OCs and thermal headroom so id recommend a liquid cooler since they are much more efficient than an air cooler especially when ambient air temperature is higher than average. 

noise istn really a problem (PLEASE DONT HATE ME) because i play alot of cpu intensive games for eg arma 3 and u cant run that game unless u got an amazing cpu with a good OC so i really want to OC wto the highest i an with my cpu

With the 212 Evo, you can pretty reliably hit 4.3ghz or more. The Macho Direct is in the 'better than 212 Evo' tier and you should be able to hit 4.5ghz or more with it depending on your chip.

2 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

yea the hyper 212 evo isnt a bad choice at all for a budget CPU cooler. 4.3GHz isn much of an OC on that 4770k plus you have a 4 core 8 thread CPU while i have a 6 core 12 thread CPU. though keep in mind that since you are in dubai the temperature there is hotter so it will affect your OCs and thermal headroom so id recommend a liquid cooler since they are much more efficient than an air cooler especially when ambient air temperature is higher than average. 

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

With the 212 Evo, you can pretty reliably hit 4.3ghz or more. The Macho Direct is in the 'better than 212 Evo' tier and you should be able to hit 4.5ghz or more with it depending on your chip.

so what do you guys think is the highest and most stable i can go  if i OC ? because i wouldn't mind adding another 30$ for the macho cooler

so what do you guys think is the highest and most stable i can go  if i OC ? because i wouldn't mind adding another 30$ for the macho cooler

How far you can push your cpu depends on your luck with the silicon lottery. You won't know until you try. 

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

How far you can push your cpu depends on your luck with the silicon lottery. You won't know until you try. 

xD only thing now left is for me to learn how to OC!

2 minutes ago, ahmedmayed said:

xD only thing now left is for me to learn how to OC!

Here's one way to start: 

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Here's one way to start: 

LOL i watched this like 3 or 2  years ago should of came back thanks for it btw!

how far should i overclock myi7 4770k  and what cooler should i have for it? 

i have been told that the hyper evo 212 is good for  4.3ghz OC but im still not sure about how far i can go and what the best cooler i should go for water cooling or air cooling 

BIG QUESTION !!!  i move my steup alot around my house will this affect my watter cooling or do i have to empty it everytime that i change its place i also move my pc in my car if i am going to take it in for repair or just a lan party 

thanks in advanced!

specs:

gtx 980 SC

16GB corsair vengeance 

i7 4770k (obv its in the title)

720w PSU

corsair r300 case

3 minutes ago, ahmedmayed said:

how far should i overclock myi7 4770k  and what cooler should i have for it? 

i have been told that the hyper evo 212 is good for  4.3ghz OC but im still not sure about how far i can go and what the best cooler i should go for water cooling or air cooling 

BIG QUESTION !!!  i move my steup alot around my house will this affect my watter cooling or do i have to empty it everytime that i change its place i also move my pc in my car if i am going to take it in for repair or just a lan party 

thanks in advanced!

i would get a AIO watercooling solution for this. Maybe a Corsair Hydro H100i V2 or something like that. It should give you enough headroom for some awesome overclocks while still being functional. They recuire no additional maintenance, and you can move your rig around like normal.

Edited by RollinLower
typos

I hate to overclock CPU's and i have never overclocked one but if we are talking about cooling Corsair H100i or NZXT Kraken X61

Push it as far as you can while keeping voltages and temps in check. 

Below 1.35-1.4v and 85c at load is a good guideline.

If you're not sure how far you want to push your oc, a cooler like the 212 Evo or something a step better would get you the most bang for your buck. 

The difference between pushing your oc as far as you can with a monster cooler and a lower mid tier cooler like the 212 Evo isn't that much. (likely 4.4ghz vs 4.7ghz) 

For Air Cooling, several large heatsinks are pretty close for best performers but the NH-D15 is likely the best and most well rounded in terms of performance, acoustics, and ease of installation. 

For AIO's, 280mm's like the Kraken x61 or H110i GT take the cake. 

Prefilled AIO's are sealed aside from the few that are designed to be customizable and expanded like the EK Predator and there's no reason why you should ever open one up for any sort of maintenance like replacing the liquid. Just leave it alone asides from the occasional dusting. Moving around a system with liquid cooling is fine as long as you're not excessively rough with it. 

knowing the 477k's bad thermal performance, use a liquid cooler to be able the get a reasonable temp while overclocked, h8 or h100 would do great.