NVMe in iMac Mid-2015 Ret 5k

knightslugger

I've got a 27" Ret 5k iMac from the Haswell days (Mid-2015) and want to up the power of my storage. I REALLY like using iMovie for simple video compilations and having a faster disk in there would be most beneficial.

There is a M.2 slot on the motherboard (pain to get at, so one and done would be nice) and Apple does sell it with straight SSD storage (linus made a video about tearing it down and the one he bought had no HDD). So it got me thinking. instead of a SATAIII SSD (which is what i have in my 2008 iMac), why not capitalize on that M.2 NVMe storage Apple provides? It would be HELLA faster than a SATAIII SSD, MUCH cleaner, AND i could keep that 1TB Seagate HDD in there for dump storage when i'm done with my project (or just take it out and use it as a spare in the NAS)

TL:DR Can i use that M.2 slot with an NVMe SSD as a bootable drive?

Samsung 950 Pro

Samsung SM951

Samsung XP941

Plextor M8Peg

Toshiba RD400

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Its not a m.2 slot, its a propertiey pcie ssd. You can buy these ssds at owc.

If you don't have a imac with a ssd already, it doesn't have the slot solerded on, so you can't just add a ssd.

how certain are you of that?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

32 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Its not a m.2 slot, its a propertiey pcie ssd. You can buy these ssds at owc.

If you don't have a imac with a ssd already, it doesn't have the slot solerded on, so you can't just add a ssd.

Don't you have to take the screen off the iMac to access anything but the memory slots?

ASU