New PC Build: Advice on some parts?

CN_Minus

I have put together a list of parts for a PC which I may or may not decide to build in the not too distant future. Right now here is the list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/gvhpHN

What I need help with:

1. Advice on a good RAM kit and how to pick good RAM kits in the future

2. Possible alternatives to the ASUS Maximus VIII Hero MOBO and how to pick good MOBOs in the future (I picked this one because I had the VI Hero and I know someone who has the VII)

3. Possible CPU case fan recommendations preferably with LEDs

4. Some cool CPU coolers to check out.

5. Any extra advice is welcome!

Thanks!

That is a really good build actually.  

1. For RAM, don't fall for the "speed doesn't matter" myth.  If you are playing at high FPS on a 144hz display, RAM speed matters a lot.  3200mhz is a good one, but don't go any slower.

2. no comment

3. The Noctua NF F12 is more of a heatsink fan - the NF A14 is better for case fan.  I'm a Noctua fanboy so I don't know who makes good LED fans.

4. NZXT Kraken x61 is nice if you want AIO water cooling.  Dark Rock or Noctua for air.

5. Be sure to give yourself extra time during the build for cable management as it can be extremely satisfying to have really neat cable runs.  Consider getting sleeved cables.  Also shop around for a better case with new features like front USB-C ports etc, the Corsair 750D is getting a bit dated.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

1 hour ago, CN_Minus said:

I have put together a list of parts for a PC which I may or may not decide to build in the not too distant future.

Great, then decide if you'll actually buy it and we'll be more than happy to help with current prices and discounts. Until then, keep your build in mind.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

On 9/9/2016 at 11:46 AM, CostcoSamples said:

That is a really good build actually.  

1. For RAM, don't fall for the "speed doesn't matter" myth.  If you are playing at high FPS on a 144hz display, RAM speed matters a lot.  3200mhz is a good one, but don't go any slower.

2. no comment

3. The Noctua NF F12 is more of a heatsink fan - the NF A14 is better for case fan.  I'm a Noctua fanboy so I don't know who makes good LED fans.

4. NZXT Kraken x61 is nice if you want AIO water cooling.  Dark Rock or Noctua for air.

5. Be sure to give yourself extra time during the build for cable management as it can be extremely satisfying to have really neat cable runs.  Consider getting sleeved cables.  Also shop around for a better case with new features like front USB-C ports etc, the Corsair 750D is getting a bit dated.

Thanks!

On 9/9/2016 at 11:31 AM, CN_Minus said:

I have put together a list of parts for a PC which I may or may not decide to build in the not too distant future. Right now here is the list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/gvhpHN

What I need help with:

1. Advice on a good RAM kit and how to pick good RAM kits in the future

2. Possible alternatives to the ASUS Maximus VIII Hero MOBO and how to pick good MOBOs in the future (I picked this one because I had the VI Hero and I know someone who has the VII)

3. Possible CPU case fan recommendations preferably with LEDs

4. Some cool CPU coolers to check out.

5. Any extra advice is welcome!

Thanks!

1. Memory speed does matter, but so do the sub-timings, a DDR4-3200 CL 14 kit is likely better than a DDR4-3333 CL 16 kit. Price also matters. In games where it matters, differences in performance are usually only a few fps. So spending a lot more for a particular kit is likely less optimal than improving some other aspect of the system.
  2. Personally I like Asus motherboards. I find their general quality and BIOS superior. They usually have a decent feature set. On the other hand, they tend to command higher prices. The Hero is a good premium gaming motherboard. For me it comes down to budget. Among good motherboards performance differences are very small, so for me its importance is below cpu, storage, cooling and memory. Gaming motherboards do have some features that improve gaming. But a decent non-gaming motherboard can provide an experience that for most people is indistinguishable.
  3. If you have an expansive budget, take a look at the new Corsair ML fans.
  4. No magic bullet when it comes to cpu coolers. If you want quiet and don't plan to push the overclocking, stick with air towers like those made by Noctua, Cryorig, beQuiet!, and Phanteks. (Don't forget to take into account memory clearances.) If overclocking and/or looks are important you may want to investigate the Nzxt Kraken X61 or hard to get Swiftech H220-X2 or H320-X2. Although the ever popular Corsair H100i V2 is decent.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.