VMs insted of dual booting

Dayo1337

After watching the 7/8 gamers 1 CPU videos i was wondering if i could do something similar with my PC so i don't have to dual boot. Idea was to have 1 VM for Windows 10 that i would use for gaming, mainly games like Battlefield 1/4, Battlefront, Overwatch etc ... Then another VM for development this would run Arch Linux + XFCE. I would then use a KVM to easily switch between the two.

Questions are:

Would the KVM switch have a negative impact.

Is there a performance impact on doing this.

I'm sure the PC is good enough for it but just thought i would see if there is anywhere i can improve.

PC

CPU: 6700k - AIO Water cooled

Memory: 32GB DDR4

GPU: EVGA 980Ti FTW + something like a 750/760 that i have lying around for the development VM

PSU: Seasonic 1000W

You wouldn't need a KVM switch for VM software on a single PC. Also, you wouldn't need to use something like they did in the video, you could just use VMWare to simulate whichever OS you aren't using as the main OS.

Use whichever OS you want as the main OS, and launch VMWare to install/use the other operating systems. 

I used to be quite active here.

If you have windows 10 pro just enable hyper v and you can run  vms.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyperv_on_windows/quick_start/walkthrough_install

KVM switches are useful if you have multiple physical computers and one keyboard to control.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

I'd be interested to know if 3 cores with hyperthreading would bottleneck some games vs 4 cores. For the most part it doesn't looks like it but some games are known to like at least 4 physical cores though so not sure, let me know if you do find out.

-------

Current Rig

-------