Case Ilimination

Talking about case ilumination LTT and almost all others always use LED strips but am I the only one that thinks the look pretty ugly? I mean Yeah the can look cool and the RGB stuff is nice but I hate how you cant tell the space between every individual LED on the strip and your case is then iluminated with the strange "striped" pattern whether you want it or not. You know what I mean?

So my question goes more about asking if there are alternatives that provide a smooth lighting effect maybe RGB (or even not!) that one can get.

I think this is what the call enclosed LEDs, or LED enclosures but it really grinds my gears that this is the norm (images). I don't like the difference in intensity that is so noticible and the fact you can see and even count all the LEDs.

Do you think one can mod an enclosure? leds in a tube or smth? Maybe this belongs on the Mods thread but I wanted to ask on Cases first..... So anyway Penny for your thoughts!

2x-Blue-Red-Green-modding-PC-Case-led-stCB-LED10-RD-4.jpg

Edited by VicBar
Spell check

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

7 minutes ago, VicBar said:

-SNIP-

The LED's on the system that are red lights are the NZXT LED kit which uses individual LED dioides and not an actual strip like above so it will give you that spot like kind of effect. The LED strips minimize that and to prevent it as much as possible placing them correctly can help greatly. However in some situations if the LED are close to other surfaces it can reflect those spots of light where diffused covers over the LED strips would be best in those situations at preventing reflections and spots of light.

-Moved to Modding Section=- 

You can put something like scotch tape over the LED strips to diffuse it better, or buy LED strips that have a diffusing material on them already so the lighting is more even. The problem most strips have (other than diffusing) is they use too few LEDs which creates more apparent bright spots.

I use the Cablemod magnetic LED's and this is what my case looks like. 

Around the bottom near the NZXT there is some LED spotting, but thats due to them being CLOSE to the surface and not the LED's being junk.

(Yes I know I'm missing my PCIE extension, awaiting it's arrival from Cablemod, old one had an issue and became unusable, and I still gotta tidy up some cables, but other than that I'm content, considering it's all in a NZXT Manta)

Pics taken with my potato LG G3. 

20160908_222658.jpg20160908_222527.jpg20160908_222615.jpg

Here is the most recent image I have of my pc (sorry about it being mainly monitor...)

20160826_104831.jpg

Anyways, there is no led spots on the case illumination, outside of super minor stuff on the tubing (which would show spots/stripes even with a perfectly diffuse light source.)

The only sucky thing is that the NZXT Hue+ LEDs are pretty dim and expensive. Also they don't have great color accuracy (but that is easy to correct if you just want one color.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

On topic though, you could always use cathode tube lighting or make a diffuser panel for a more even glow.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

On topic though, you could always use cathode tube lighting or make a diffuser panel for a more even glow.

Yeah Cathode tube lighting sounds just right! I want that neon homogenous glowing feel and that should do it! Is it sold for PC building cases or would I have to DIY it?

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

2 minutes ago, VicBar said:

Yeah Cathode tube lighting sounds just right! I want that neon homogenous glowing feel and that should do it! Is it sold for PC building cases or would I have to DIY it?

You can buy for pc's, but just fyi they can be really shotty sometimes... 12" lengths are pretty standard.

https://www.amazon.com/12-Cold-Cathode-Case-Lights/dp/B000JQ17WU

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Excelent, thank

Curufinwe_wins

You can buy for pc's, but just fyi they can be really shotty sometimes... 12" lengths are pretty standard.

https://www.amazon.com/12-Cold-Cathode-Case-Lights/dp/B000JQ17WU

you yea this look great. I'll be careful. BTW ever heard of frozencpu.com ? O.o

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

[OLD]

10 hours ago, VicBar said:

BTW ever heard of frozencpu.com ? O.o

#triggered 

[spoiler=Blue^3http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/388528-blue3/ I5 4690k | Asrock Z97 Pro4 mATX | RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Blue Edition and Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Black Edition | GPU: XFX DD R9 390x | PSU: Corsair AX760 | SSD: Samsung 840- 120GB | Hard Drives: 2x1TB WD Blue | Watercooling Kit: XSPC Raystorm 240 

Well you should never see the led strip directly but if you have a couple inches/centimeters from the led strip to the window I think its not that big of a deal

16 hours ago, VicBar said:

You can get the same lighting effect from LED's as long as they are installed correctly, where you want to never see the lights directly since they are very bright but to have the LED's cast that light out towards the components and reflect off them to light the surrounding. 

there is also neon wire, i remember it on the auto scene like a decade ago, i see performance-pc had both neon wire and cathode tubes (from 4-20in)