SureFire Unveils New FirePak Illuminator (picture heavy)

SureFire Unveils New FirePak Illuminator

BY: MATTHEW COX

Source1: http://kitup.military.com/2016/09/surefire-unveils-new-firepak-illuminator.html

Source 2: http://www.surefire.com/firepak.html

SureFire's new FirePak smartphone video illuminator. Photo: SureFire

SureFire just unveiled its latest, high-tech toy – the FirePak smartphone video illuminator.

“The revolutionary smart phone video illuminator + charger enable smart phone users to shoot vibrant high-quality video at night or in poorly lit spaces -something never before possible!” according to a Surefire press release.

FirePak features two high-performance LEDs whose light output is shaped by two specially designed reflectors that create a blended beam shaped to perfectly fit a 16:9 HD video frame – up to 1500 lumens and with an effective range of 50 feet.

FirePak features two high-performance LEDs whose light output is shaped by two specially designed reflectors that create a blended beam shaped to perfectly fit a 16:9 HD video frame – up to 1500 lumens and with an effective range of 50 feet.

This for those that like a bit more light when recording video on your phone at night.

Specs;

Capture.JPGCapture.JPGCapture.JPG

Capture.JPGfirepak-mounted

As you can see in the last picture a case is available but until December it is free.

Personally I like surefire products as I use them every day at my job.

At a msrp of $299.00 USD this is not bad but a bit pricey for me though.

Thoughts?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Surefire's are great until you realize that 7 dollar battery needs replaced often due to it's miniscule power.

I still got quite a few REALLY nice surefires sitting around that I refuse to buy batteries for anymore. 

2 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

Surefire's are great until you realize that 7 dollar battery needs replaced often due to it's miniscule power.

I still got quite a few REALLY nice surefires sitting around that I refuse to buy batteries for anymore. 

I don't buy the batteries, all my Surefire's are rechargeable, well except for one.

Surefire batteries are not that expensive, they are a $1.87 USD a piece. If you buy them bulk they are much cheaper.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

I don't buy the batteries, all my Surefire's are rechargeable, well except for one.

Surefire batteries are not that expensive, they are a $1.87 USD a piece. If you buy them bulk they are much cheaper.

All my Surefires were military issue, and they all use that damn battery. 

I stopped using my Surefires once most of the free batteries I had died.  I love them but the abysmal battery life stopped me from using them too much. 

As far as the 7 bucks, I was just going off the last price I saw in the military clothing store on base when I was in there picking up some new shorts. 

(I'm medically retired military, and I don't mind the Air Force PT shorts I had to wear, they're great for those morning runs and ALOT cheaper than any other brand shorts, plus it's got built in reflective stuff to help) 

2 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

All my Surefires were military issue, and they all use that damn battery. 

I stopped using my Surefires once most of the free batteries I had died.  I love them but the abysmal battery life stopped me from using them too much. 

As far as the 7 bucks, I was just going off the last price I saw in the military clothing store on base when I was in there picking up some new shorts. 

(I'm medically retired military, and I don't mind the Air Force PT shorts I had to wear, they're great for those morning runs and ALOT cheaper than any other brand shorts, plus it's got built in reflective stuff to help) 

Same here, mostly. (I was a Army)

The nice thing about this light is it is a rechargeable LI-ION battery non-removable.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Same here, mostly. (I was a Army)

The nice thing about this light is it is a rechargeable LI-ION battery non-removable.

I got out in 2011, Im listed at 70% disabled by the VA and get 1700 a month which pays my month to month bills and what I dont use there( About 500) is put intomy 401k each month. Then my paycheck that I pay myself, half goes into my 401k and the other half is my mess around money for whatever. Or it could all go into my 401k. I try to contribute as much as possible into my 401k, 1 year of living expenses savings acct.

So that thing is just there to add light to your phones camera and also act as a battery pack for both the light and phone?

I take pictures with my phone, but beyond the flash on my phone, thats it.  

I could see the point in this on a DSLR or so, but not for a cell phone video. 

6 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

I got out in 2011, Im listed at 70% disabled by the VA and get 1700 a month which pays my month to month bills and what I dont use there( About 500) is put intomy 401k each month. Then my paycheck that I pay myself, half goes into my 401k and the other half is my mess around money for whatever. Or it could all go into my 401k. I try to contribute as much as possible into my 401k, 1 year of living expenses savings acct.

So that thing is just there to add light to your phones camera and also act as a battery pack for both the light and phone?

I take pictures with my phone, but beyond the flash on my phone, thats it.  

I could see the point in this on a DSLR or so, but not for a cell phone video. 

I agree.

My phone's light is pretty adequate for most situations and its a RGB light so it more natural. I honestly don't see myself purchasing one of these esp since its 1500 lumens for 15mins, my flashlight puts out 1000 lumens and last for 2.25 hrs. Mine is better. 

Only somewhat recently got out myself [Oct 2014] but no disability though, I should have it though lower back injury in '08, I manage well enough. But anyhow this is offtopic, you can pm me if you like. :) 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

11 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I agree.

My phone's light is pretty adequate for most situations and its a RGB light so it more natural. I honestly don't see myself purchasing one of these esp since its 1500 lumens for 15mins, my flashlight puts out 1000 lumens and last for 2.25 hrs. Mine is better. 

What phone you got that does RGB lighting? I wouldn't mind messing with my friends with a red and blue light. LOL 

The phone I've been looking at LG V20. Since I'd rather not have an explodey Note 7 in my pocket.

1 minute ago, Katsunaka said:

What phone you got that does RGB lighting? I wouldn't mind messing with my friends with a red and blue light. LOL 

The phone I've been looking at LG V20. Since I'd rather not have an explodey Note 7 in my pocket.

MS Lumia 950XL its RGB but you cant select each color independently though. Its uses all three together to get a more natural lighting effect and it works pretty good imo.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

MS Lumia 950XL its RGB but you cant select each color independently though. Its uses all three together to get a more natural lighting effect and it works pretty good imo.

Ah, it's better than my just white light.  My phone's camera is good enough for my uses. 

But there are people who buy lenses for their phones, so a lenses, this thing and your phone, I guess it adds up to a mini DSLR.

5 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

Ah, it's better than my just white light.  My phone's camera is good enough for my uses. 

But there are people who buy lenses for their phones, so a lenses, this thing and your phone, I guess it adds up to a mini DSLR.

Yeah it nice and it does the job I need of it. 20mg pics are about the most you need any how. ;) 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER