Audio Technica ATH-M50X

Terra

Is this headset worth it when to compared to any other gaming headsets/headphones? i know this is not a gaming headset/headphones though.

AMDr Ryzen 5 3600 | ASRock A320M-HDV R4.0| 8GB Ram |  MSI GTX 980 Ti 6G | CM MasterBox Q300L | Primary: Samsung Evo 850 250GB

Secondary: WD Blue 1 TB | Cooler Master V850

4 minutes ago, Terra said:

Is this headset worth it when to compared to any other gaming headsets? i know this is not a gaming headset though.

1. The term you're looking for is headphone.

2. No. They really aren't good. What price-range are you looking at?

2 minutes ago, Terra said:

Is this headset worth it when to compared to any other gaming headsets? i know this is not a gaming headset though.

No. Gaming headsets give you a better gaming experience. ATH has gaming models if you like their brand.

Headset= Mic

Headphones = no mic

Also the m50x are shit for gaming, because no soundstage at all

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

As already said, the M50xs aren't the best for an immersive gaming experience. 

I would suggest looking at open headphones. 

If you want suggestion it would help with a budget?

31 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

No. Gaming headsets give you a better gaming experience. ATH has gaming models if you like their brand.

I'm intrigued. Could you please explain why a gaming headset offers a better experience than a non-gaming branded headphone?

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

15 minutes ago, Volbet said:

I would suggest looking at open headphones. 

If you want suggestion it would help with a budget?

I'm intrigued. Could you please explain why a gaming headset offers a better experience than a non-gaming branded headphone?

my budget is basically around the Corsair's Void price since i will not be getting the M50xs

AMDr Ryzen 5 3600 | ASRock A320M-HDV R4.0| 8GB Ram |  MSI GTX 980 Ti 6G | CM MasterBox Q300L | Primary: Samsung Evo 850 250GB

Just now, Terra said:

my budget is basically around the Corsair's Void price since i will not be getting the M50xs

Well, what does the Corsair Void cost in your neck of the woods?

the price should be around $170+ in my country.

11 minutes ago, Volbet said:

10 minutes ago, Volbet said:

So do you know or do you not know? Or did you think I said it's a better experience in everything and not just a better "gaming experience" like I did?

1 minute ago, Terra said:

the price should be around $170+ in my country.

For that price you could get a pair of Sennheiser HD558, Beyerdynamic D990 (or DT770 if you want closed) or Audio-Technica AD900x.

But it all depends on what kind of sound signature you enjoy.  

1 minute ago, MaxBunny said:

So do you know or do you not know? Or did you think I said it's a better experience in everything and not just a better "gaming experience" like I did?

I don't know. 

I'm still wondering why a gaming headset gives a better gaming experience than a non-gaming one.

1 minute ago, Volbet said:

For that price you could get a pair of Sennheiser HD558, Beyerdynamic D990 (or DT770 if you want closed) or Audio-Technica AD900x.

But it all depends on what kind of sound signature you enjoy.  

interesting, i will definitely check it out if i can them in my country. :D

1 hour ago, MaxBunny said:

Want to try explaining how?

8 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

Or did you think I said it's a better experience in everything and not just a better "gaming experience" like I did?

It's still wrong, regardless of how you try to clarify it.

4 minutes ago, Volbet said:

I don't know. 

I'm still wondering why a gaming headset gives a better gaming experience than a non-gaming one.

Why aren't the M50x's the "best for an immersive gaming experience" in your opinion?

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Want to try explaining how?

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

It's still wrong, regardless of how you try to clarify it.

Why would I explain to someone who already rejects any possible explanation? You're just being idiotic with posts like that.

8 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

Why aren't the M50x's the "best for an immersive gaming experience" in your opinion?

Why would I explain to someone who already rejects any possible explanation? You're just being idiotic with posts like that.

No, you're showing a severe lack of knowledge.

The M50x's have a pathetic soundstage, which is fairly important in really any level of gaming. What I want you to try to explain is how "gaming headsets" (I.E. cheap headphones with gamer branding and a mic) would be a better experience. That is all "gaming headsets" are, usually sub-par headphones with a mic attached.

Sorry if any of this offends you, I'm just trying  to stem the spread of misinformation.

31 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

Guys this is what it looks like when you don't know what you are talking about and then are asked to explain it, don't be like this.

Gaming headsets are mostly just plain shit for everything. There are some very few ones that are good

Sennheiser Game zero/one

HyperX cloud (any of them)

MX300

ATH-ADG1X

ATH-AG1X

That is about all of them.

If you want a more immersive experiance, then a big soundstage is god, because then the sound sounds less like it is inside of your head. The type of headphones that have the biggest soundstage is open headphones, but they are far from equal. Look at the AD700x they have a insanely big soundstage and then look at the HD 558, they have a fair soundstage for open headphones. BUT if you get headphones that doesn't fit your taste in sound signature, then you will not get the same level of immersive experiance, because it will always be in the back of your mind that you want more bass or less bass and so on.

I chose to compare those headphones because they are fairly cheap and around the same price.

The M50x suck for gaming, because they have no soundstage at all, this means that it is harder to pin point exactly where the sound is coming from and everything will just sound like it is happening in the middle of your head. There are also lots of other things wrong with the M50/M50x, but I am not going to talk about that in this thread, you can read the thread I have made about them if you want to know more about them, I have it linked in my signature.

The one that is being idiotic here is you, not JoeyDM.

PS. If you want to go up against me, then you better be damn sure that you know EVERYTHING about audio. I don't want to hear that BS that you just said.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, MaxBunny said:

Why do you refuse to answer my question? You made a statment about the superiority of gaming headset in a gaming scenario, and all I wanted was a justification of that statment.

While I don't understand why I'm the on being questioned, I will atleast answer.

I am a bit late to the part it seems, but here goes. Audio-Technica's M-line doesn't really do well in terms of soundstage.

A wide and precis soundstage is usually preferable when playing games, both from a competative standpoint and an immersion standpoint.

I'm one of the few who would argue that the sound signature of the M50x is actually rather good for competaive gaming, but the lack of soundstage is a dealbreaker for most people.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

PS. If you want to go up against me, then you better be damn sure that you know EVERYTHING about audio. I don't want to hear that BS that you just said.

You're bordering on some quite severe hubris there. 

If this had been ancient Greece you would have been turned into a wolf by now.  

1 hour ago, Volbet said:

Why do you refuse to answer my question? You made a statment about the superiority of gaming headset in a gaming scenario, and all I wanted was a justification of that statment.

Because I've been trying to see what you're fishing for. I didn't want to start a discussion that would end up like one of these @JoeyDM and @Dackzy dumbass posts. "hurr durr all audiophile headphones are better than all gaming headsets at everything doh!" They're not trying to have a discussion, they're just trying to be pointlessly malicious while they're off their meds.

1 hour ago, Volbet said:

While I don't understand why I'm the on being questioned, I will atleast answer.

I am a bit late to the part it seems, but here goes. Audio-Technica's M-line doesn't really do well in terms of soundstage.

A wide and precis soundstage is usually preferable when playing games, both from a competative standpoint and an immersion standpoint.

I'm one of the few who would argue that the sound signature of the M50x is actually rather good for competaive gaming, but the lack of soundstage is a dealbreaker for most people.

Thank you for obliging. :D  I have the m40x's and I've used them with the Razer Surround software. They're actually pretty usable and I was surprised at how much direction I was missing from even games like DOTA that I didn't know were directional.

But Dolby > RS any day, and you benefit from more boom boom calibrations since they're usually designed with certain titles (and working with competitive teams) in mind. I've taken off my headset before because I couldn't tell whether it was actually raining and thundering outside or if it was just the game. :P

The sound is fine on the m40x (and m50x I'm sure), but is it preferable to a gaming headset/headphones for the main purpose of gaming? Everyone's entitled to personal preferences. I advise against it and I don't think OP's aware of why or when he'd want one over the other. He can spend the money on audiophile headphones to find out, or take my advice and save it for the experience he probably really wants.

Good headphones are better than bad headsets. Good headsets are better than bad headphones. This shit isn't complicated. The M50X counts as a bad (value) headphone, and is not recommended for gaming.

7 hours ago, Volbet said:

You're bordering on some quite severe hubris there. 

If this had been ancient Greece you would have been turned into a wolf by now.  

meh, I am so tired of seeing the new people come in here and disrespecting people that know what they are talking about and just come up with so much bs and just end up doing well what he just did. Especially when they just twist your words. I try to be nice to as many people as possible on here, but if they start that BS like he did with joeyDM, then I don't want to be very nice to him.

5 hours ago, MaxBunny said:

Because I've been trying to see what you're fishing for. I didn't want to start a discussion that would end up like one of these @JoeyDM and @Dackzy dumbass posts. "hurr durr all audiophile headphones are better than all gaming headsets at everything doh!" They're not trying to have a discussion, they're just trying to be pointlessly malicious while they're off their meds.

Wow you are going to be like this.. Did you not see that I also explained a lot of things? Like why the m50x are bad for gaming and why a big soundstage is better for immersive gamng, but I guess that you only focused on the part where I calles you out. Also when you are being a dick to a audio member that is just trying to get you to explain things and is being nice, then I am not going to be nice. If you were nice to him and didn't start calling him or me things then I would hav been really nice and explained everything that you wanted to know. Instead of posting that bs, that is just going to make people think less about you, what about that you take it like a grown up? You see the funny thing is that you call my post dumbass, yet it has way more information in it than any of the posts you have made in here. That way you also of making fun of people makes you look like a little child, no person will ever respect you more for doing that, a lot of people will respect you less if you do that.

Wow this really escalated..

I'm with SSL here; There are good headsets and headphones.

Superiority varies everywhere depending on preference and price.

8 hours ago, MVPernula said:

Wow this really escalated..

I'm with SSL here; There are good headsets and headphones.

Superiority varies everywhere depending on preference and price.

i know right, everything just went up in flames. xD

but yeah, i will try the suggested headphones/headsets. :D

1 hour ago, Terra said:

i know right, everything just went up in flames. xD

but yeah, i will try the suggested headphones/headsets. :D

Don't forget a ModMic to go with whatever headphones you end up with :D 

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C