GT720M overclocking

Hey guys, I looked for it and I didn't find anything, but I hope I'm not starting an already solved thread or anything.

I own an Asus X550CC (check my profile for more info) and of course it is not a great gaming machine, but it's been doing a decent job, it lets me play with not too bad graphics and not too bad framerates some of the best titles out there. GTA V, CS GO, ETS2, DIRT 3...

Well, even though I could say they are quite playable, I'd like to get rid of some occasional stutter without having to go down on graphics. I've tried to use MSI Afterburner but it seems to always crash my drivers because it's not that stable. So does anyone know any way or any values I can change so I can overclock it without crashing? 

Thank you guys.

It is barely faster then intel hd 4000 graphics and behind intel hd 4400 mobile graphics, if you really want better gaming performance upgrade the gpu if possible, or get a better laptop.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce-GT-720M-vs-Intel-HD-4000-Mobile-125-GHz/m7921vsm7653

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce-GT-720M-vs-Intel-HD-4400-Mobile-1011-GHz/m7921vsm7668

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

I really don't recommend overclocking a laptop, even though I do it myself, since it won't bring a noticeable difference (most of the time), but if you must, then try Evga PrecisionX. Move the core clock up by 5mhz at a time until you see signs of instability. Repeat with memory clock. Don't touch power limits. And there. You'll have an extra 5-ish fps depending on the game. 

I'm worried about the crashes you're having with Msi. Maybe make sure you have the latest drivers for your gpu.

Nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for the replies!! I might be trading the laptop for a desktop soon, but I'd like to see how far I can go, sorry for taking so long, I've been on Holidays aha :)

• 3 months later...

Hello there, i have the same laptop :D x550cc i3-3217u gt720m 2gb 4gbRAM 1tb hdd etc... so i used afterburner and (not pushing it to the limits becouse of the well known heat issues) i got up to 1hz on the core clock and around 1ghz on the mem clock. Gained about +20 fps on Test Drive Unlimited, and will be testing it on gta 5. If you still have the laptop and/or you want to know the effect on gta5 simply reply, i'll be happy to reply as well. Oh i forgot and its running between 70-80 celsius with a laptop cooler (under the laptop), on Performance Power mode. So for other questions you got it ;D  

On 13/01/2017 at 10:49 PM, Nissan Primera GT said:

Hello there, i have the same laptop :D x550cc i3-3217u gt720m 2gb 4gbRAM 1tb hdd etc... so i used afterburner and (not pushing it to the limits becouse of the well known heat issues) i got up to 1hz on the core clock and around 1ghz on the mem clock. Gained about +20 fps on Test Drive Unlimited, and will be testing it on gta 5. If you still have the laptop and/or you want to know the effect on gta5 simply reply, i'll be happy to reply as well. Oh i forgot and its running between 70-80 celsius with a laptop cooler (under the laptop), on Performance Power mode. So for other questions you got it ;D  

Oh ahah, I sold the laptop a few days ago, I tried to overclock my graphics card exactly like I saw a video on Youtube with Afterburner but it always crashed and I had to force reboot it, but thank you for your reply :)

On 1/15/2017 at 10:59 PM, gabrielcosta523 said:

Oh ahah, I sold the laptop a few days ago, I tried to overclock my graphics card exactly like I saw a video on Youtube with Afterburner but it always crashed and I had to force reboot it, but thank you for your reply :)

Oh, np mate i just registered :) when i played it for a test run on 1038clock and 1k memory, on the lighter games it bugged the textures. On tdu whatever i change on setting (include downgrading) it just freezes the game but not the whole pc. Strange things :D Also on nfs u2 it tryed to do the same(this time 1018clock and 900memory) thats why it didnt but the screen made same "refreshing" efect and i turned on Vsync and no problems with 60 not 100fps ;dd nfs u2 all on max* (the hardest game ever made xd)also before we quit this topic i'd like to mention that i got up to 160fps on max setting 2xMSAA while strearing to the floor on car mechanic sim 2015. Avare while playing 50-70 but it varies a lot.