Ghetto Server's and Nas boxes

uzarnom

Hey all,

So Ive seen what Linus has to work with but now lets see the poor mans solution, the people who can’t afford a good setup but needs a server.

ideas on what to post

• Server Specs (prices if applicable)

• Server Purpose

• Limitations (being a dodgy build)

• Pictures

(first post sorry for suckingness, like a vacuum cleaner )

If power in your area is cheap just get a used HP ProLiant or Dell PowerEdge server. The old generation servers are all over the place for a few hundred bucks a pop. They come with ECC memory, Xeon CPUs, SAS Raid Controllers, Hot Swap HDD bays, Redundant PSUs and are generally rock solid. Except that they are old and the power supplies aren't as efficent. Also some servers are exteremely noisy.

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

For My Lap...Server

Specs

NB300 ex-school laptop ($50)

CPU: Intel atom (N450)

Ram: 2GB

Storage: 200GB external hard drive (free from road side)

5TB external hard drive ($150 after selling my soul)
Power: about $120 a year

Purpose

Mostly used for media storage, backup and light web server

Limitations

• 32 bit OS
  • Max supported RAM is 2GB
  • network lan is 10MBs
  • everytime i touch it i accidentally run "sudo apt-get install breakEverything"
  • lid needs to stay open else server turns off
  • it randomly disconnects from router until you play with the keyboard

Pictures

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

2 minutes ago, uzarnom said:

200GB external hard drive (free from road side)

I would not rely on this for backups haha, its on the road for a reason

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

2 minutes ago, Ernest_L said:

I would not rely on this for backups haha, its on the road for a reason

lol yeah i should probably have a better solution but the road side pickings are not as good as they used to be ;P

Wow what a set up xD Never seen a laptop being used lol

Gaming Rig:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X @ 4.1GHz All Cores - Ram: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE - GPU: 5600XT MSI Gaming X - Storage: Samsung EVO 840 250GB - 2TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

HTPC Rig:
CPU: i5 6400 - Ram: 16GB - GPU: 970 GTX - Storage: 120 Kingston SSD & 2x 1TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

My server isnt to bad I would say for what I'm currently using it for details below:

Spec: CPU: AMD Phenom II 1055T - Ram: 10GB - Storage: 320GB WD - 2x 1TB in Raid 1 OS: Win10

Use: Currently using it as Storage, HTPC and VM server.

As advised nothing really slowing it down currently :) Still got alot of stuff i wanna set up on it ect just havent had the time.

IMG-20160908-WA0002.jpg

Gaming Rig:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X @ 4.1GHz All Cores - Ram: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE - GPU: 5600XT MSI Gaming X - Storage: Samsung EVO 840 250GB - 2TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

HTPC Rig:
CPU: i5 6400 - Ram: 16GB - GPU: 970 GTX - Storage: 120 Kingston SSD & 2x 1TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

looking good, if i had the power i would totally use VM's. i keep breaking my linux installs

Similar thread floating around just not specifically "poor man's" more of a home setup and not business.

I guess you saw through me, looking for cool pictures of other peoples setups

M O M'S  O L D  C O M P  T U R N E D  I N T O  p f S E N S E  R O U T E R 

28425553773_90c8cd379a_b.jpg28967272091_f536034794_b.jpg

S P E C S 

AMD Athlon x2 (i think)

Some half dead foxconn motherboard

Nameless 10/100/1000 LAN card

Nameless 10/100/1000 wireless card

TP-Link LAN card

300gb 5200rpm hard drive

2.5gb of ram

This thing has a bit of a history surrounding it. Accidentally killed my entire county school's network by accidentally forgetting to put in the DnS host server. So, it started broadcasting to all the machines on the entire network- asking everyone what it was. Something like 2000 times a second? Crashed their network so bad that it took like five IT guys to find it. Took them so long because they were looking for an expensive proper server doing this much damage, not this little measly machine plugged in.

Used to be my killer router, though it died and since then have replaced with something a bit more stable. Right now it's an experimental machine I use for everything from pentesting to exploring new features and things in pfSense. 

I work as a contractor for everything from photo/video to broadcast and networking. 

I use an old HP Laptop forked up on top of a photography textbook. 

Right now this is what I use: Fuji X100T, Fuji X100, Fuji X-E1, XF 18 f2, XF 35 1.4, Nikon d7000, Nikkor 180 2,8 AFIS, Nikkor 60 1.8.

I've got more crap laying around for other jobs and hobbies, though a lot of that isn't applicable to the interests of this forum, so I'll keep myself back from adding it all to the list. 

i used a old pentium 4 system running windows 7 (i think it's been a while)

it had no Ethernet so i had to use some software to get it to communicate with my desktop at the time over the cable

it had a 1TB harddrive i had spare and it used a SATA to PATA for it to work

also it had a server MB that took (not joking) 1hr at start up and get past the BIOS, had nothing else at the time so it had to do

the max RAM it supported was 1GB of RAM

and it failed often, damn BSOD's

it gone now but jesus it was the worse

and don't ask me how i got everything to work, i can't remember how i got it to work at all in the first place let alone how i got it configed for my uses

also it was not a case and it was next to my dogs bed

i think the way it died was the dog peed on it and cut power the the house and fried the entire system expect the HDD, still have that to this date (it's dead now but hey it survived and thats peaty cool)

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

5 hours ago, JohnBRoark said:

M O M'S  O L D  C O M P  T U R N E D  I N T O  p f S E N S E  R O U T E R ...

Nice, i remember the network guy at the school i worked for came into imaging room and turned off my phone cos it was doing something similar.

2 hours ago, samiscool51 said:

i used a old pentium 4 system running windows 7 (i think it's been a while)  ...

lol, my first server was a pentium 4 from road side but i've never had the problems that plagued you. Thanks for the share :D

2 hours ago, uzarnom said:

lol, my first server was a pentium 4 from road side but i've never had the problems that plagued you. Thanks for the share :D

worse thing to use for file shareing

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

I don't understand why people keep getting these super capable big boxes just for pfSense, a $50 refurb thin client should work just fine.

No reason you need super-modern anything.  My first 'server' was a Pentium-66 (yes, the 5V variety), 12mb of RAM, and 300mb of hard drive space.  If I still had it around, I could probably throw a PCI to SATA card, put some 2Tb drives in it, and still use it for most of what I actually need it to do. 

19 hours ago, uzarnom said:

Power: about $120 a year

That seems wrong, unless you have ultra expensive power. That system would have to pull over 80w full time to cost that much, which a atom based laptop won't do.

31 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

That seems wrong, unless you have ultra expensive power. That system would have to pull over 80w full time to cost that much, which a atom based laptop won't do.

Your right i'm not sure what it draws at idle but i estimate full load (90w + drives) 24/7 use, not the case but i'd rather over estimate yearly costs so i can budget and not worry

22 hours ago, uzarnom said:

Nice, i remember the network guy at the school i worked for came into imaging room and turned off my phone cos it was doing something similar.

Haha- yeah it was a broadcast issue. Took them like a whole day to find it. I was about to spoof my MAC, though I forgot to. If I had they probably wouldn't have been able to do so.

I work as a contractor for everything from photo/video to broadcast and networking. 

I use an old HP Laptop forked up on top of a photography textbook. 

Right now this is what I use: Fuji X100T, Fuji X100, Fuji X-E1, XF 18 f2, XF 35 1.4, Nikon d7000, Nikkor 180 2,8 AFIS, Nikkor 60 1.8.

I've got more crap laying around for other jobs and hobbies, though a lot of that isn't applicable to the interests of this forum, so I'll keep myself back from adding it all to the list. 

• 2 weeks later...

i got a server for plex teamspeak and other game servers with 24TB of harddrive two sandisk 240gb ssd in raid 1.  2x intel 5540 (4c) xeons in a supermicro mobo with 48GB of ddr3 ecc and  a mellanox 10GBE nic and windows 2012 server (trail)

and thats on all the time

and an intel 2011 mobo with 2x intel 2670 (8c) 128gb ddr3 ecc and a micron P320h ssd  two seagate 120gb ssds raid 1 and windows 10 pro

it stays off most of the time but its for more cpu hungry stuff.