Low price gtx 970 worth it?

HectorPunch

Hey guys I've been looking at upgrading my Gtx 760 for a while now as its struggling and I'm looking to spend under £200. I play at 1080p (witcher 3, GTA V, Rise of the tomb raider and Overwatch) don't plan on changing my monitor until it dies. My only real option with a good cooler was the plait Gtx 1060 3gb in the uk for £195 but I noticed I can get a Asus Strix 970 new for £179. Is the 970 worth it to save £15? Or should I jump ship to an AMD rx 470 nitro 4gb for £180?

Well the 970 is better in most titles than a 470 however it is limited in dx12/vulkan due to it not fully supporting it, how much is a 4GB 480 since that might be a viable option key word might (also I'd ignore the 3GB 1060 6GB or nothing on that one imo it will perform better but for how long as dx12 and vulkan are vram hoggs)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 minutes ago, HectorPunch said:

Hey guys I've been looking at upgrading my Gtx 760 for a while now as its struggling and I'm looking to spend under £200. I play at 1080p (witcher 3, GTA V, Rise of the tomb raider and Overwatch) don't plan on changing my monitor until it dies. My only real option with a good cooler was the plait Gtx 1060 3gb in the uk for £195 but I noticed I can get a Asus Strix 970 new for £179. Is the 970 worth it to save £15? Or should I jump ship to an AMD rx 470 nitro 4gb for £180?

The question is whether or not you think 980 performance is worth £15 more. But that 3gb is gonna hurt in the latest games I think. Anything under 4GB seems like a waste (even the 960 had it).

AMD isn't an option? I'd pick a 470 over a 970/1060 3gb any day at similar prices.

Thanks for the replies guys. I wasn't really keen on the idea of 3gb on a new card so yeah the rx470 is looking tempting. The rx480 nitro 4gb is about £209 actually. It's gone down since I last looked at it but also the 8gb nitro is £239, and I'm playing DOOM right now so Vulkan is a thing for me. Guess I'm back to probably getting an AMD card again for the 5th time this week until I change my mind again for some reason. Think I may have to stretch the budget a bit for the 4 or 8gb 480 nitro if the wife doesn't kill me haha

edit: just noticed that the evga 1060 6gb (not the sc) is the same price as the 8gb rx480 (£239) and now that's an option too. Too many choices. Dam first world problems!

Edited by HectorPunch

Get a 470 or 480, and then in a few months save up the money to buy a 75 or 144hz freesync monitor for around the same price (120-200), and you'll love it.  Even if the 1060 (or 970) gets 5 fps more on average, the variable refresh display will change with your own gpu's dips in frame rate creating a much smoother experience.   If i didn't find a great deal on my 1070 I was going to buy a 480 and an AOC 24" 144hz 1080p free sync display. In fact, that was my first plan, and then the 1070 deal popped up and it was too good to pass  up, or I'd be using an amd setup right now.