AMD or NVIDIA... Pls help

Synatec

Hi everyone!

I am currently looking to buy either an AMD GPU or a NVIDIA GPU, there is just one slight problem. I don't know what to choose!

My mind has been fighting for 2 GPUs, either one of the NVIDIA's 1000 series or the AMD 460/470/480 Crossfire. I have heard about Crossfire being absolute horseshit but I might aswell give it a try, unless there are other AMD cars that perform just like 2 460/470/480s. The NVIDIA cards are more expensive than the AMD cars but I've never had an AMD cars before, this is really guiding me towards NVIDIA as I just don't know anything about AMD. 

I would highly apprieciate it if someone tells me a bit about AMD, just some basic information is enough. All I know is that it is not called SLI but Crossfire and they are cheap.

FYI; I am currently using a NVIDIA NVS 510 (HP) and it is not made for gaming but I want to game... 

Feel free to suggest any other GPUs, just make sure it can run Crysis 3 (kappa).

Thanks for reading,

Synatec.

Just now, spartaman64 said:

you shouldnt decided based on brand you should decide based on specific cards and recently crossfire has been better than sli

Yeah, I know but Crossfire they all look similar. This is why I made this post.

Just now, Synatec said:

Yeah, I know but Crossfire they all look similar. This is why I made this post.

what price range are you looking at

2 minutes ago, Synatec said:

Hi everyone!

I am currently looking to buy either an AMD GPU or a NVIDIA GPU, there is just one slight problem. I don't know what to choose!

My mind has been fighting for 2 GPUs, either one of the NVIDIA's 1000 series or the AMD 460/470/480 Crossfire. I have heard about Crossfire being absolute horseshit but I might aswell give it a try, unless there are other AMD cars that perform just like 2 460/470/480s. The NVIDIA cards are more expensive than the AMD cars but I've never had an AMD cars before, this is really guiding me towards NVIDIA as I just don't know anything about AMD. 

I would highly apprieciate it if someone tells me a bit about AMD, just some basic information is enough. All I know is that it is not called SLI but Crossfire and they are cheap.

FYI; I am currently using a NVIDIA NVS 510 (HP) and it is not made for gaming but I want to game... 

Feel free to suggest any other GPUs, just make sure it can run Crysis 3 (kappa).

Thanks for reading,

Synatec.

Here's the way I would look at it:

Do you need to buy this now, or can you wait?

If you can wait, how long?

What's your budget? Buy the best SINGLE CARD at your budget level. The RX480 is similar to GTX 1060 performance. So if you're looking at anything higher than the 1060, then there's no real point in looking at AMD right now.

With that in mind, there are rumours (unconfirmed, with some indication that they might be straight up false) that AMD's Vega GPU's might launch in a couple months.

But if you need a GPU right now, just buy the best GPU you can afford.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It depends on your budget and current setup. How much do you want to spend? What parts do you already have in your computer?

what price range are you looking at

Anywhere between $0 and $600.

I am going to buy an Intel i5-6600K

I am going to buy 16GB of RAM.

Nvidia cards aren't just more expensive.... they're better if you're looking at current 10 series Nvidia vs current 400 series AMD. The question isn't Nvidia or AMD. The question is how much money do you want to spend? concerning those two categories, the more money you spend, the better your GPU will be.

But largely speaking don't look to brands to base your purchases on. Base it on individual products.

e4764d2cf5.png

These are my current specs but I ordered a few parts today.

i5-6600K

16GB of RAM (DDR4)

BenQ RL2455HM

My peripherals are fine already.

1 minute ago, Synatec said:

get at least a GTX 1070 to go with your build. 6600k and 1070 is a good combo. getting a lesser GPU with that CPU will be wasteful.

what is the resolution of your monitor but im leaning towards the 1070 unless you want to wait for vega

do you want the best or do you want the budget option? that is basically the difference sadly. AMD cant compete with anything everything they put out is a generation behind

what is the resolution of your monitor but im leaning towards the 1070 unless you want to wait for vega

I posted it, scroll up a bit.

The monitor is 24 inch 1920x1080 on 60hz

If your budget is "$0 to $600", we'll just call it "$600".

In that case, you have two choices for current gen cards:

1. GTX 1070 - prices are ~$450.

2. GTX 1080 - this goes a LITTLE over your budget, but you can find them for as cheap as $650 (or a little less sometimes).

Decide whether you want to spend $450 or $650.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

you shouldnt decided based on brand you should decide based on specific cards and recently crossfire has been better than sli

but single card with similar performance is still better than CF.

Just now, Synatec said:

If you haven't ordered your CPU yet, a good combo for that resolution and refresh rate would be an i5 6500 and GTX 1060 (or RX 480 if you want).

If you get 6600k and GTX 1070, you're going to have more headroom than you can really take advantage off for the most part, even when playing at max graphical settings. Albeit there is nothing wrong with that approach (i have a 6700k and 980ti on the same monitor) but you could save yourself some money if you want.

Just now, Zyndo said:

If you haven't ordered your CPU yet, a good combo for that resolution and refresh rate would be an i5 6500 and GTX 1060 (or RX 480 if you want).

If you get 6600k and GTX 1070, you're going to have more headroom than you can really take advantage off for the most part, even when playing at max graphical settings. Albeit there is nothing wrong with that approach (i have a 6700k and 980ti on the same monitor) but you could save yourself some money if you want.

Yup, ordered already. It was 20% off.... 

3 minutes ago, Synatec said:

Then a 1070 would be slightly over kill and you can go for a Rx 480 or 1060 and use the money somewhere else or you can get the 1070 and have a nice cushion for the future

Just now, Synatec said:

Well there isn't really anything wrong with that. Future proofing is an excellent thing too. on a monitor like that your CPU will be more than enough for all of your needs for many years to come. so its not like you made a bad investment =) Same would go for the 1070. It would be a bit overkill for that monitor, but that just means you have good headroom for the future =) (but all you really need is 480/1060)

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

Then a 1070 would be slightly over kill and you can go for a Rx 480 or 1060 and use the money somewhere else or you can get the 1070 and have a nice cushion for the future

Alright, I think I'll stick with NVIDIA and go for either the 1060 or 1070, one final question...If I would go for the 1060, 3G or 6G...

for 1080p 60fps, a 1070 is a bit overkill, like everyone else said. perhaps you can look into a 1080p 144hz or 1440p monitors when your budget allows? 

1 minute ago, Synatec said:

Alright, I think I'll stick with NVIDIA and go for either the 1060 or 1070, one final question...If I would go for the 1060, 3G or 6G...

the 1060 6gb. just ignore the fact that the 3gb version exists 

5 minutes ago, Synatec said:

go for the 1060 6GB. not only will it be beneficial to have the 6GB of VRAM (3 can be potentially limiting) but the 3GB version is actually also a bit weaker than the 6GB version. Not really worth it if you aren't limited by budget (still a fine option if its all you can afford though).

Lucky for me, I had the option to cancel the order for my monitor. I will go with the 1060 6GB and will invest the spare money into a better monitor! The BenQ XL2411Z for example. I will think about this but I'll but this topic as solved for the time being.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

Forget Crossfire crap... In 1080p, a GTX 1070 beats a RX 480 crossfire setup. And consumes even less than ONE rx 480 ^^

Since you have a HP PC, your PSU might be a bit weak (and wouldn#t support crossfire anyway).

so the GTX 1060 is the best choice. Not just because it's faster than a RX 480, but also consumes much less power, which is always better for such a PC System like you have, with a maybe smaller PSU.

But just to be sure. Could you post a Picture of that Datasheet that's on your PSU? Before even a 1060 is too much...