good game design program

masterkickass7

2 minutes ago, masterkickass7 said:

i'm just starting basic 2d and eventually 3d

For 2d, Unity is the better engine. For 3d, Unreal engine 4.

Just now, Magikarpdrowned said:

For 2d, Unity is the better engine. For 3d, Unreal engine 4.

unity confuses me..... i've got a long way to go

27 minutes ago, masterkickass7 said:

Start with a tutorial, brackeys or quill18 are pretty good. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

7 minutes ago, masterkickass7 said:

Every "real" game engine is hard in the start. For Unity there's a ton of very good tutorials all around the web (there's very good basic tutorials on Unitys own website), start doing them and it wouldn't hurt to learn in the mean time some basics of C#. If you're going to work alone you need to learn coding a lot more to get to the real treats of the engines, so, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a friend involved, probably someone who already knows some C#, Python or even Java helps, just someone who knows some basics of coding. Even if you're going to use Unreal4 you will need coding.

Also it's quite self explanatory to get used to the tools. Probably the most basic tools are Blender/3Ds Max and Gimp/Photoshop, because you're going to need assest and you can even use the free ones that many are using, buy some from the assest stores (both Unity and Unreal have one) but sooner or later you are going to need to make your own or at least know how to make them and especially how to implement them. Again there's a tons of tutorials how to get started on 3D modeling, animating and texturing on the web.

Even if it might sound hard and a lot when I put it like this. But trust me, after you have done some tutorials and starting to get used to the tools you will start making progress very fast and depending on how fast you can learn and how much time you use for it, in no time you will be making your first game. Also there's probably some monthly IGDA gatherings near you, go there and ask help, it's more than sure that there's other people who are just starting game development and game developers who already have skills to share and who are more than willing to help beginners.

If Unity is too complicated you might wanna take a look at Game Maker.

It got me started programming back in the day.

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro