Post crimson 16.7.2 freeze

Hey all,

I am running a laptop and if I am trying to update the crimson drivers post 16.7.2 my laptop will just freeze upon reboot and shutting down.

I get this message in event viewer after shutting down manually:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Kernel id 41, Task category (63) with bugcheckcode 0.

I have tried a lot with the chipset drivers and intel management engine, I also tried some power settings adjustments and uninstalling the sata driver from intel.

I am running a laptop with: i7 4700mq, 24gb ddr3 ram, 500gb seagate hdd, 480 gb ocz arc 100 ssd and a HD8970m/ R9 M290X in crossfire.

I have updated the vbios mxm from clevo. I run a custom bios with premamod. Anyone know what to do about this?

I tried refreshing my windows 10 installation but to no avail might reinstalling windows 10 fully be the option?

I have tried sfc /scannow in command prompt but even with the recovery image it did not succeed. Don't know if it has anything to do with it.

Kind regards,

Mergpijp

I have no problem in windows because I reverted back to 16.7.2 using ddu. I actually have little trouble using the newest drivers in windows but only when rebooting shutting down windows fill freeze. I have modified the vbios indeed using VBE7.0.0.7b for power limit and core/memory clocks unlock. But I could try reverting back to the stock vbios you think that will help? Thank you.

Does it still give you that problem if you disable crossfire and then shut down?

I did not try that I do not know how to disable crossfire is it in the additional settings in crimson? I think it was removed or not? Cant find it anymore.

I do need to mention though that for modding the vbios I need to convert windows 10 uefi boot to mbr using AOMEI tool, otherwise I would have no screen for some reason. Will happily try if I know how to disable cf.

It is in gaming and global settings. That's where you should find the toggle on and off.

Yes thank you that resolved the issue, however I want to actually use crossfire. Can I now safely turn it on again?

I'd suggest you restore the vBios to factory version and try Crossfire again. In my experience with Crossfire and Dual Graphics I find that it can get extremely touchy with even the most minimal things. Specially the Crimson Drivers, CCC didn't care most of the time.

If it still doesn't like it, try 16.8.3 here:http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows 10 - 64

If you want to underclock/undervolt your video card, you can try AMD Overdrive. It interfaces with Crimson.

Edited by Vadise
Bad Driver Link

Hmm this doesn't seem to work, but VBE7 is also telling me that they are UEFI vbioses so maybe they have no effect? Do I need to change windows boot from MBR to UEFI back again for this to fully work again? It is just that some memory clocks are capped in the stock vbios, not a huge different. As I am overclocking this thing which maybe not that good in the long run. I already had the latest AMD drivers btw.

The main cause that Crossfire will fail is that the cards are unable to match eachother's memory frequencies. Have you in any way manually locked one or the other's memory frequencies? I have never modified the vbios on any computer, so I am completely at a loss here regarding that.

I have only modified the max memory & core clock in the editor and the power limit settings. Maybe it is MSI afterburner that is putting both cards at 1500mhz at fault. Should I lower this value maybe for it to work back to stock?  The powerplay states are all the same as I did not want to higher the voltage but do it manually in afterburner.

picture.png

Try disabling afterburner and see if that will let you re enable crossfire without incident. Also, since you mentioned you are on a laptop, are you on the balanced windows power plan or the performance one? If you overclock, you should always keep the performance power plan on.

Yes I did all the power options optimizations and set power plan to performance. I uninstalled afterburner but to no avail. Hmm I think I should revert back to UEFI luckily I can restore with a disk if it goes wrong. I don't think of many users of similar systems knew you could flash the vbios as I too had the black screen and thought it was bricked. But maybe you still got ideas?

Unfortunately, I do not. Given I never modified a vBios before. I think I should step aside and make way for a more experienced person to give their thoughts, so far we tried everything I could think of, sorry.

Unfortunately, I do not. Given I never modified a vBios before. I think I should step aside and make way for a more experienced person to give their thoughts, so far we tried everything I could think of, sorry.

Well given that I already found a trick in afterburner to unlock  the voltages and that I only lose some memory overclock I am not at loss here staying at the stock vbios. Also I couldnt higher up the core clocks to much anyway. I think I am well prepared to go UEFI mode for windows, remember I am not going to flash anything I am stable at stock vbios. So might as well give it a try right?

Give it a go, and post your results afterwards, hopefully that's it, otherwise I am sure someone else will know.

Hey, I tried swapping from MBR to UEFI and it did not help. I was confused at what the stock vbios could be so I found the older clevo bios for my card but I was to overconfident and bricked both my cards, should have only tried one. Luckily I had one seller of MXM cards which send me a cheap a-version for 20 euros the NVS5100, and everything is up and running again. I begin to actually doubt it is the vbios, might as well reinstall windows to see. Because I did hear some stories that the anniversary update could make future crimson drivers unstables, but I do not know what order is best updating the crimson drivers and the updating windows or vice versa?

Hmm for me right now it is to much work to reinstall windows and all the things I have. Just found out that going to UEFI mode is not without risks, especially if you modified the original vbios. The whole system will act weird and only the external display will work and there will be no option to enter the bios anymore. Even using a different mxm card will not work anymore as it seems the bios is bound to the current config. Only flashing in windows back to stock vbios will make the laptop display and bios accessible again. For this sole reason I will never go UEFI again as it is a really restricting factor. Will post results when I have the time to reinstall windows. But thanks for the help.