i7 6700k 5GHZ is possible? HELP!

Cleber

Hi!

I just got the 6700k and I want to OC to 5Ghz. 

But first I want to know if is possible.

Can anyone guide me? 

I have the Z170 -A and  kraken x61 cpu cooler. 

I'm considering a custom water cooler from EK if the 5Ghz mark is possible.

2 minutes ago, Cleber said:

Hi!

Can anyone guide me? 

Sure it's possible if you got one of the top 1% chips out there.  Likely?  No.

You could see how good your chip is with the current AIO that you have and if it gets high with that then you can have it delided to take things a bit further.  Best person to talk to about this is @Lays.  He has a 5 GHz delided 6700k chip, but he's done quite a bit of work to get it there.

There are few exemplars that can do this. The chance you get one that makes 4.8 without ridiculous voltages is already rare.

A question of silicon lottery. 

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Sure it's possible if you got one of the top 1% chips out there.  Likely?  No.

You could see how good your chip is with the current AIO that you have and if it gets high with that then you can have it delided to take things a bit further.  Best person to talk to about this is @Lays.  He has a 5 GHz delided 6700k chip, but he's done quite a bit of work to get it there.

Thanks, dude! 

Maybe, but probably not.

You might want to do some more research on overclocking because it doesn't seem like you understand what the silicon lottery is.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Also, know that some motherboards are better for overclocking than others. The Z170-A is not a motherboard known for its overclocking ability.

(It may have been a good idea to think about what you were going to do with your PC before you went out and bought all the parts for it)

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Maybe, but probably not.

You might want to do some more research on overclocking because it doesn't seem like you understand what the silicon lottery is.

So is hard. =\ well...I'm going in the safe way. 4,5Ghz. 
Thanks, dude!

22 minutes ago, Cleber said:

Hi!

Can anyone guide me? 

You can, but it'll take quite a bit of overvolting, possibly exceeding well over 1.5 V. You'll need some serious water cooling to maintain this without thermtripping or getting stability issues.

9 minutes ago, Jwalbrecht2000 said:

Also, know that some motherboards are better for overclocking than others. The Z170-A is not a motherboard known for its overclocking ability.

(It may have been a good idea to think about what you were going to do with your PC before you went out and bought all the parts for it)

Can you recommend me a good motherboard for OC? 

6 minutes ago, Kavawuvi said:

You can, but it'll take quite a bit of overvolting, possibly exceeding well over 1.5 V. You'll need some serious water cooling to maintain this without thermtripping or getting stability issues.

going 4,5ghz. I don't think this thing is possible anyway,
Thanks!

My i7-3770k, I got to 4.9, temps were out of control.  I couldn't get my machine to post at 5.0 though. Running 4.5 now and temps are manageable.

1 minute ago, Cleber said:

Can you recommend me a good motherboard for OC? 

Sure I could, but do you really want to spend that much more just so you can get like 0.2 GHz more, if that?

Just now, NavyCuda said:

My i7-3770k, I got to 4.9, temps were out of control.  I couldn't get my machine to post at 5.0 though. Running 4.5 now and temps are manageable.

Thinking in give up. Going 4,4 or 4,5 
thanks.

1 minute ago, Jwalbrecht2000 said:

Sure I could, but do you really want to spend that much more just so you can get like 0.2 GHz more, if that?

How much money are you talking about? I can spend $400, no more.

Why do you want to get to 5 Ghz? The performance increase won't be big. And you should be able to get it to 4,6-7 Ghz just fine. 

I've heard good things about the Maximus VIII Series from ROG, but those get really expensive.

For example, the most popular of the series, the Hero / Hero Alpha, goes for about $230-$260. The flagship (Extreme) goes for $550. Don't forget though, the motherboard isn't everything you need for this.

IMO, save your money, use what you have.

Just now, SuchIlluminati said:

Why do you want to get to 5 Ghz? The performance increase won't be big. And you should be able to get it to 4,6-7 Ghz just fine. 

For Rendering. I think will be more fast to do my work. 
But I don't understand this stuff.

I can get 60fps in Arma 3, short of flying at high speeds over cities in single player, that's all I wanted to accomplish with my OC and why I'm at 4.5.  I saw a 20fps increase OCing from 3.9, and bumping my memory speed to 1600MHz(I had 1600 chips running at 1333 as my old video card was the weakest link in my machine).

For Rendering. I think will be more fast to do my work. 
But I don't understand this stuff.

I don't think you'll notice much difference between 4,7 and 5 Ghz.

3 minutes ago, Jwalbrecht2000 said:

I've heard good things about the Maximus VIII Series from ROG, but those get really expensive.

For example, the most popular of the series, the Hero / Hero Alpha, goes for about $230-$260. The flagship (Extreme) goes for $550. Don't forget though, the motherboard isn't everything you need for this.

IMO, save your money, use what you have.

Ok, thanks! = D I'm going to do this... I going to sell my z170-a cheap and buy this ROG extreme z170 . I really want the 5ghz mark.

1 minute ago, Cleber said:

Ok, thanks! = D I'm going to do this... I going to sell my z170-a cheap and buy this ROG extreme z170 . I really want the 5ghz mark.

If you're going to do only rendering you could also sell your mobo and your i7 and get something based on the LGA2011-3 platform. Because wasting a ton of money on a new mobo just to get 5 Ghz is not the best option out there, especially for rendering

1 minute ago, SuchIlluminati said:

If you're going to do only rendering you could also sell your mobo and your i7 and get something based on the LGA2011-3 platform. Because wasting a ton of money on a new mobo just to get 5 Ghz is not the best option out there, especially for rendering

X99? you think will do better?  5960x? 

X99? you think will do better?  5960x? 

Bro, seriously just save your money.