What can I do to hide my router.

DarkBlade2117

Want to make my setup look nice and by far the biggest eye sore is wires, my router and we have another little box for our fucking house phones.

How can I hide it? I've though of mounting them under my desk, but that just adds more wires that have to down to the floor. I can't move it, plus I'd have to mount the little phone thing. There aren't any phones, just a box the phones get the ( insert name of the little tone thing you check to make house phone works ).

I'll put a picture and tag everyone if asked to show the monstrosity of a wire collection I've got.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Put it right next to the computer. But there is a "you should mount it" explanation too, middle of the house, non interference (walls).

I got 5GHz 3 antenna wifi router model from a couple years back, hooked up to an ISP cable modem that is 15 yrs old and only does 2.4GHz.

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Put it right next to the computer. But there is a "you should mount it" explanation too, middle of the house, non interference (walls).

I got 5GHz 3 antenna wifi router model from a couple years back, hooked up to an ISP cable modem that is 15 yrs old and only does 2.4GHz.

It is right in the middle of the house, which happens to be my desk. Just is something useless sitting on it

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

6 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

You "should" have the antennas mounted above it.

There are no antennas.

Even more reason to have the router mounted above the clutter, for the "clear sight" rule.

A router with no antenna is worse.

I am sure more knowledgable people will chime in.

Even more reason to have the router mounted above the clutter, for the "clear sight" rule.

A router with no antenna is worse.

I am sure more knowledgable people will chime in.

pics and we can give proper suggestions!

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

How old is the router?

What brand and model is the router?

And pictures if you can of where it is placed. If you cant do that then a clear descriptive statement will do.

3 hours ago, Canada EH said:

How old is the router?

What brand and model is the router?

And pictures if you can of where it is placed. If you cant do that then a clear descriptive statement will do.

The router isn't old, it well.. not to old. IT is a NETGEAR N600 and it does everything we need it to, we get full signal throughout our house and partially outside and supports the best internet we'll get.

http://imgur.com/GLn2PK1

Big mess, and need/want to clean it up. The router is right above all this on top of my desk. Also DIYing the desk and the whole right side is going to come off because it is useless space and going to make my desk all nice. ( Sorry about the hair, I legit swept this up yesterday ) also as I said DIY, all the desk legs in the picture will be gone, except for the one by the case.

I want to basically hide all these wires in some fashion. Again, mounting it all the bottom of the desk ( The router, the black box on the right side is the phone thing ect )

Though I don't know what to do with that huge power cord that I have everything plugged into, as if I mount it on the bottom, it all has to travel to the ground which I don't know how to make nice.

@BOT Edward

I'm just gonna throw it out there, put the router behind something else so you can't see it or put a towel over it, then you won't be bothered by the router but by the towel.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

1 hour ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

The router isn't old, it well.. not to old. IT is a NETGEAR N600 and it does everything we need it to, we get full signal throughout our house and partially outside and supports the best internet we'll get.

http://imgur.com/GLn2PK1

Big mess, and need/want to clean it up. The router is right above all this on top of my desk. Also DIYing the desk and the whole right side is going to come off because it is useless space and going to make my desk all nice. ( Sorry about the hair, I legit swept this up yesterday ) also as I said DIY, all the desk legs in the picture will be gone, except for the one by the case.

I want to basically hide all these wires in some fashion. Again, mounting it all the bottom of the desk ( The router, the black box on the right side is the phone thing ect )

Though I don't know what to do with that huge power cord that I have everything plugged into, as if I mount it on the bottom, it all has to travel to the ground which I don't know how to make nice.

@BOT Edward

use something like these https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Clips-Multipurpose-Management-Organizer/dp/B01G23R0K6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1472770548&sr=8-3&keywords=cable+organizer

and when you have the router mounted underneath the desk you can run the power cable/any other cable down one of the legs, it will keep it super neat and tidy and it will cost bugger all!

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

7 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Want to make my setup look nice and by far the biggest eye sore is wires, my router and we have another little box for our fucking house phones.

How can I hide it? I've though of mounting them under my desk, but that just adds more wires that have to down to the floor. I can't move it, plus I'd have to mount the little phone thing. There aren't any phones, just a box the phones get the ( insert name of the little tone thing you check to make house phone works ).

I'll put a picture and tag everyone if asked to show the monstrosity of a wire collection I've got.

Dude, @Canada EH is right, all you need are some zip ties. You can buy a bag of like, 100 of them for a few bucks at the local hardware store.

I would do a few things:

1. Wall mount that Router (how high off the ground is entirely up to you, but around half-way between floor and ceiling would likely be optimal). You could also mount it under your desk, certainly, but that will decrease your signal strength (probably not by much mind you).

2. Use zip ties on that rats nest. A few zip ties and I could make that look beautiful

3. Use drywall anchors to run the cables from the Router to the floor

BTW, the "tone" you're talking about is called the "Dial Tone". That's the "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" noise that let's you know the phone is working.

4 hours ago, Canada EH said:

LOL you got it easy. Zip Ties are your friend!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qu4wq7dbl6md2oc/IMG_0099.JPG?dl=0

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Spiral conduits are good for aggregating cables together while also being much more reusable and extensible than Cable/Zip Ties.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

4 hours ago, Nuluvius said:

Spiral conduits are good for aggregating cables together while also being much more reusable and extensible than Cable/Zip Ties.

True but I personally don't think they look as good - and zip ties are so cheap, you could literally buy a lifetime supply of them for under $100.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Do what I did previously and wall mount it xD When done properly, it looks very neat. I had made some black cat6 cables and made sure to secure them rather tightly so the whole setup looks very clean and nice. Unfortunately, I've moved since, so that router is no longer wall mounted, but rather sits on one of the shelves of my desk :/ 

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

4 hours ago, MblaZe7run said:

Do what I did previously and wall mount it xD When done properly, it looks very neat. I had made some black cat6 cables and made sure to secure them rather tightly so the whole setup looks very clean and nice. Unfortunately, I've moved since, so that router is no longer wall mounted, but rather sits on one of the shelves of my desk :/ 

I think I figured something out, I have this little shelf that will be under my desk and you can't see anything in it until you go under it, I'll only have some school books in there and think I am going to mount it on the inside of it and run the cables to my PC which won't be far from it, it'll I'll probably have most of my cables tucked in the drawer it has that I never use, it is a bit cheaty but it'll look really good in the end. 

Plus Zip tires <3

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

True but I personally don't think they look as good - and zip ties are so cheap, you could literally buy a lifetime supply of them for under $100.

9 hours ago, Nuluvius said: