Carbon Nanotube Storage Coming To Market - SSDs in 2018!!!

It's me!
1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

They paid GloFo to take their last foundry. The expenses were too high and were eating far too much into profits. That, and IBM is swiftly taking over cloud integration. 

They didn't have the lead and didn't have the will to bring it to market when selling so few chips. Samsung and Intel have the lead. All IBM did is put a couple extra drops in a competitor it thought stood a chance.

Okay! The way I understood it was that they sold their silicon process to focus on carbon based process

Amazing! :D
It's such a potential in speed and in endurance being said to be practically limitless due to how strong the material is.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

15 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

CNT won't be ready for that for at least 5 years. Samsung and Intel are racing for it though.

Oh man. Alternatives to silicon processes are exciting!

What I would really like, is to be able to store stuff on the same board (DIMM) that houses the system memory. With 32GB DIMMs available these days, and with NRAM not erasing when powered off, me may end up buying memory that doubles as storage.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

oooohhhs and aaaahhhhhs!

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Just as I install my first SSD this turns up.
(Pissed off face)

On 9/1/2016 at 1:56 AM, patrickjp93 said:

IBM is out of the foundry game, so it would be GloFo now (HAH!).

To be fair, IBM is heavily backing up GloFo now. Hopefully that means they can stop being shit. Or who knows, maybe TSMC will step up to bat since they're the ones being competitive now.

On 8/31/2016 at 6:52 PM, patrickjp93 said:

CNT won't be ready for that for at least 5 years. Samsung and Intel are racing for it though.

I thought the next big thing was supposed to be SiGe.

On 09/01/2016 at 1:57 AM, LucidMew said:

Carbon Nanotubes can do anything!!! besides leave the lab

- some guy I ripped the saying off of

CNT are actually used in some products nowadays. They are added to plastics to increase the strength, but compared to glas they don't break.

However, this doe not require controll of a single CNT and a few defects are not relevant. Building some RAM is much more difficult.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

5 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

To be fair, IBM is heavily backing up GloFo now. Hopefully that means they can stop being shit. Or who knows, maybe TSMC will step up to bat since they're the ones being competitive now.

I thought the next big thing was supposed to be SiGe.

SiGe is a crutch that only works down to 3nm and is close enough to silicon to be easier to work with. There's also the possibility Gallium Arsenide or another III-V material gets used. The goal is still CNT.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd