6700K or 6850K

Go to solution Solved by Enderman,
25 minutes ago, DrM said:

depends on your budget. for gaming, there wont be a noticable difference in fps. for rendering in inventor though, the more cores the better. 6800k will render ~40% faster (slightly lower clock speed), but the cost of the cpu and mobo is higher. it comes down to whether its worth it to you or not

14 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

Get a 5820k it overclocks better than the 6800k and it's about the same price as the 6700k but with 2 more cores. 

The 6800k is barely any better than a 6700k.

He is only doing this for school, not as a job, so extra money for x99 and a 6800k for a couple seconds or minutes is NOT worth it at all.

6700k is a much better option.

I'm starting school (hopefully), and if i do, the plan is to make my pc. Since I am going into engineering (mechanical), i would be required to use AutoCAD, and Autodesk inventor, but I want a rig than can also game well. Which cpu should i get? i7-6700K or the i7-6850K? I'm pretty stuck here.

depends on your budget. for gaming, there wont be a noticable difference in fps. for rendering in inventor though, the more cores the better. 6800k will render ~40% faster (slightly lower clock speed), but the cost of the cpu and mobo is higher. it comes down to whether its worth it to you or not

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

The 6700k is within such a small margin that it's worth getting instead. This lets you throw that extra cash into maybe a better video card or better ssd which will also benefit you more.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

3 minutes ago, DrM said:

Far from true. We are talking a few seconds at most. 40% would be minutes.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

They will be about the same. 

Also id get a 6800k over a 6850k. You don't need the extra pcie lanes.

@@Electronics Wizardy what are pcie lanes I still don't understand. I've watched several videos but don't understand jack s***

4 minutes ago, ttam said:

The 6700k is within such a small margin that it's worth getting instead. This lets you throw that extra cash into maybe a better video card or better ssd which will also benefit you more.

well i mean I am already planning for the gtx 1080 superclocked edition. and i see i see, thanks. But i mean, come on, 6 cores, i get to shame my friends who all have quad cores lmaoo

Just now, jimsterino said:

@@Electronics Wizardy what are pcie lanes I still don't understand. I've watched several videos but don't understand jack s***

Its bascially how data comes and leaves the cpu. Most of the motherboard devices(usb, gpu, sata, network) use this.

The only difference between teh 6800k and the 6850k is the 6850k has more lanes, You don't need them. Id save the 200 and get a 6800k.

Get a 5820k it overclocks better than the 6800k and it's about the same price as the 6700k but with 2 more cores. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Wouldn't a majority of this decision depend on budget? I mean I use a 6700K for 3D rendering in C4D. It's not CAD i know but I would assume similar CPU usage. Gaming wise I would also say, financially at least, that the 6700K is the better option because the base prices of 1151 boards is lower than 2011-3 boards and the overall gaming performance between the 6800K and the 6700K is nearly identical give or take a few frames here and there. Personally I think @jimsterino would be more than fine with a 6700K for his build. Money saved can go to a nice NVMe SSD or a FTW 1080 over the SuperClocked. 

2 minutes ago, westonb27 said:

Wouldn't a majority of this decision depend on budget? I mean I use a 6700K for 3D rendering in C4D. It's not CAD i know but I would assume similar CPU usage. Gaming wise I would also say, financially at least, that the 6700K is the better option because the base prices of 1151 boards is lower than 2011-3 boards and the overall gaming performance between the 6800K and the 6700K is nearly identical give or take a few frames here and there. Personally I think @jimsterino would be more than fine with a 6700K for his build. Money saved can go to a nice NVMe SSD or a FTW 1080 over the SuperClocked. 

why the FTW 1080 over the superclocked?

1 minute ago, westonb27 said:

1151 has no upgrade path from a 6700k. From a 5820k or 6800k you can go all the way to a 10 core i7 or 22 core xeon

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

1 minute ago, Jumper118 said:

1151 has no upgrade path from a 6700k. From a 5820k or 6800k you can go all the way to a 10 core i7 or 22 core xeon

@Jumper118 actually it does have an upgrade path. Once KabyLake comes out, i can upgrade to that, although idk if i really need to. but there is that.

1 minute ago, jimsterino said:

why the FTW 1080 over the superclocked?

EVGA has tiers for their GPUs. Superclocked is clocked lower than the FTW edition cards.

1 minute ago, jimsterino said:

@Jumper118 actually it does have an upgrade path. Once KabyLake comes out, i can upgrade to that, although idk if i really need to. but there is that.

You're right about that, and again. If your budget allows by all means go with the 2011-3 CPUs, but if you want power and need to save some cash then I would go for the 6700K.

25 minutes ago, DrM said:

14 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

The 6800k is barely any better than a 6700k.

He is only doing this for school, not as a job, so extra money for x99 and a 6800k for a couple seconds or minutes is NOT worth it at all.

6700k is a much better option.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

ok guys thanks for the help. I've come to the quick decision that im going to go for the 6700K. I made a build on pcpartpicker, here it is: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QrwjZ8

let me know if any changes can be made (for the better). LOL

48 minutes ago, westonb27 said:

EVGA has tiers for their GPUs. Superclocked is clocked lower than the FTW edition cards.

You're right about that, and again. If your budget allows by all means go with the 2011-3 CPUs, but if you want power and need to save some cash then I would go for the 6700K.

51 minutes ago, jimsterino said:

That's not an upgrade path lol going from a quad core to a quad core that's 5% faster is not the same as going from 6 core to 22 cores. An x99 will last a lot longer

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

17 hours ago, jimsterino said:

ok guys thanks for the help. I've come to the quick decision that im going to go for the 6700K. I made a build on pcpartpicker, here it is: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QrwjZ8

let me know if any changes can be made (for the better). LOL

Looks alright to me. Though I'm not sure why you're getting an ITX board when you have a case that supports an ATX board.

16 hours ago, Jumper118 said:

That's not an upgrade path lol going from a quad core to a quad core that's 5% faster is not the same as going from 6 core to 22 cores. An x99 will last a lot longer

While I don't disagree with you that x99 will last longer than z170, the point that this is a build for school, and really doesn't need the power of the x99 platform kinda overpowers the need for an upgrade path. Just as well the x99 upgrade path is quite expensive, even if you are saving money on a mobo and ram. So I think in this situation the 6700K is better for his intended use. 

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 2:47 AM, jimsterino said:

well i mean I am already planning for the gtx 1080 superclocked edition. and i see i see, thanks. But i mean, come on, 6 cores, i get to shame my friends who all have quad cores lmaoo

or get the 6700K and shame them all with single threaded performance. In anything that makes use of at most 4 threads the 6700 will outrun the 6 8 and 10+ core CPUs. Plus with the money you save you could go bonkers and shame them with a Titan X

On 8/30/2016 at 5:29 PM, westonb27 said:

Looks alright to me. Though I'm not sure why you're getting an ITX board when you have a case that supports an ATX board.

i changed the mobo and all. ive been playing around with parts and all that for the past couple days.