X79 Motherboards

Hello guys,

I just bought a cheap Xeon E7-8890 v2 on eBay, I need an LGA 2011 motherboard but they all seem ridiculously expensive, $400 CAD  or more for used boards on eBay and I can't find any new ones either, however I came across this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-DELL-Precision-T3600-Socket-LGA2011-System-Motherboard-0PTTT9-PTTT9/182220811634?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38702%26meid%3Dc60326c87f3246c2a7bc15391a6b326a%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D262594229455

Does anyone know if this will work with the CPU I listed, it should as they are both the same socket, but I am not sure if the Bios will support it, also does anyone know of any cheaper X79 motherboards?

Yea x79 mobos are some of the hardest things to come across in current times.. That is why those xeons are so cheap.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Oh I see, any idea if the motherboard I listed would work, those servers come with Intel Xeon E5-2667.

4 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Oh I see, any idea if the motherboard I listed would work, those servers come with Intel Xeon E5-2667.

Should work fine, but its not a atx board, and won't fit in most cases

Yeah it looks a bit strange, but its alright, I got a Dremel, thanks for your help guys, I will update the thread once I get both and test them.

2 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Yeah it looks a bit strange, but its alright, I got a Dremel, thanks for your help guys, I will update the thread once I get both and test them.

No it won't just work like that. Also id get a 8 core cpu if you going 2011. 

You might as well get a who used system for a hunded or two more. There quiet, fast and well built.

Oh I bought this CPU because it was incredibly cheap, what do you mean by "it won't just work like that", you mean I might need a BIOS update or something like that?

2 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Oh I bought this CPU because it was incredibly cheap, what do you mean by "it won't just work like that", you mean I might need a BIOS update or something like that?

Won't fit in a case with a dremel. Its very different.

Id get a 8 core if you haven't bought the cpu yet.

Id also get a premade dell t3600.

Oh I got it for $105 USD, an E5-2670 is about $75-$80, I figured it would be much better since its 15 core/22nm and the E5-2670 is 8 core/32nm, this system won't be used for gaming, it will be more of a video editing machine.

Which CPU would you recommend for Adobe Premiere 4k video editing? 

8 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

You can get a barbones dell t7810. Its a dual lga 2011 system for about 500 on ebay like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-PRECISION-T7810-Barebone-Workstation-Build-your-own-System-/321680862904?hash=item4ae5ac6eb8:g:C2kAAOSwcu5UPyFe

]

You can also get a dell r7910 for even cheaper and its dual lga 2011v3, but its rack mount.

1 minute ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Oh I got it for $105 USD, an E5-2670 is about $75-$80, I figured it would be much better since its 15 core/22nm and the E5-2670 is 8 core/32nm, this system won't be used for gaming, it will be more of a video editing machine.

Which CPU would you recommend for Adobe Premiere 4k video editing? 

Budget?

Adobe likes clock speed.

E7's are for top notch type servers only.  Typically they're outfitted with 4 processors each and you can connect two together to form a single 8 processor machine.  The only system you're likely to find that will work with one of them is a blade server for e7 xeons.  The e5 is what you should have gotten for a dual or single socket setup and the e3 for single socket only.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

Hmm, okay, thanks for your suggestions, I might just re-sell the CPU and go with an i7-6800k

1 minute ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

These boards are expensive, and pretty much all require 2+ CPU's.

5 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X10DBT-T.cfm

Found a board that supports it, but the board only comes installed in a complete server.

A dell r920 would also work fine, but its big and heavy.

Your not getting a desktop or workstation with a e7. These are designed for 1tb+ of ram and huge databases and workloads like that.

Well, I guess I will resell it, thanks for your help guys.

One quick question, would a Dell Precision T3600 motherboard work with an E5-2670, or generally speaking, whats the cheapest motherboard that would support 1 or 2 E5-2670's, this is not for video editing, I know someone who is hosting game servers and needs something like this.