Help with Python 3

TechSage
Go to solution Solved by alpenwasser,

Usually when starting to learn a new language I google around for tutorials, select

one and then work through it. If the tutorial is decent enough, I should then have

at least the basics of the language down, and any gaps I can usually close by looking

at other tutorials, stackoverflow etc. Of course I switch tutorials if I find the

one I've selected to be lacking.

I recommend having a look at the programming resources thread, and additionally you

may be interested in these (I haven't used any of them though, so I don't know how

good they actually are):

So, with the help of the forum members (thank you) I managed to get everything I needed to start writing code in python 3, but the thing is, the only language I know so far is BASIC, so now when I'm starting in python, the basic syntax is different and I dont know how to do the basics. 

Such as

Input "What is you name" ; name Print "Welcome back";name 

Now that is in BASIC, and I have no idea how the conditional statements work, for example if I wanted to make a conditional statement in python. This is how I would do it in BASIC

if name = "bob" Then Print "What a beautiful name"end ifif name <> "bob" Thenprint "I hate you."end if

I don't know the techniques involved in learning new languages, so any help or advice will be greatly appreciated since I'm a beginner.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Usually when starting to learn a new language I google around for tutorials, select

one and then work through it. If the tutorial is decent enough, I should then have

at least the basics of the language down, and any gaps I can usually close by looking

at other tutorials, stackoverflow etc. Of course I switch tutorials if I find the

one I've selected to be lacking.

I recommend having a look at the programming resources thread, and additionally you

may be interested in these (I haven't used any of them though, so I don't know how

good they actually are):

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic