How to convince my parents on what school I want

djdelarosa25

Hey there. I'm an incoming senior high school student, and there are no schools in our place that have SH. There's this one university which is about an hour and a half drive away and this is where they want to send me. But, I want to go to this uni in Manila, because my girlfriend will go there. They say that it will be too costly and that my college savings will be spent just for senior high. But I know that they can support me since they buy us whatever the fuck we want. How do I convince them to let me go to the school that I want?

Never had to deal with that problem myself but i know picking a school because a friend ,or in your case your girlfriends, goes there isnt always the best choise, unless you know its a good school with good reputation.

honestly all i can suggest is that you come with good argumenst to go there(saying my girlfriend goes there isnt a good one) like the pros over that school compared to others, also if they say its to expensive ask that they don't buy you everything you want and put that towards your school, or get a 1 day weekend job if that is a posibility and pay a bit for it yourself, i know my parents loved it when i went to school and paid some of my bills myself

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

Short answer: you're wrong and probably won't listen because you're spoiled

Edit:

Also, you're going into college and your post indicates you have no idea about your financial situation at home.  This further indicates it's a bad idea.  They don't owe you support.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

The university is the best for medicine in my country. Look up "University of Santo Tomas", the first uni in Asia.

Well, I am 2nd honors in our class. So maybe that's the reason why they buy me stuff that I want. Maybe if I limit stuff that I want, they'll let me?

10 hours ago, djdelarosa25 said:

But, I want to go to this uni in Manila, because my girlfriend will go there.

This is not a valid reason for choosing a school. Listen to your parents and don't be selfish unless you're willing to work to go to this university in Manila. Tell your parents you don't need their money and do it on your own, then they have no say in where you go.

-KuJoe

5 hours ago, greaves1111 said:

do yourself a favor and go to college a single man... lol

It's his soulmate, no other girl in the entire universe will ever look at him the same.  He still thinks this way since he's so young, we need to ease him out of it slowly.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Let me ask you this, would you even consider the school in Manali if it weren't for the fact that your girlfriend is going there? If the answer is no then this is a bad idea and you should give up. "My girlfriend goes there" is not a valid argument. 

You do know that college expenses can put you in debt for a veeeery long time, right? Getting in more debt just because you want to go to the same school as your girlfriend is a terrible idea. 

Your parents are most likely right here. In the end, it is their money they have saved for your education. 

I don't know of your financial status but "they buy what we want" is not an indicator of how wealthy your family is, unless "whatever the fuck we want" are brand new Ferraris. They might be pretty poor but putting all their disposable income towards the things you want and need. I don't know "whatever the fuck we want" means, but when talking about college education we are potentially talking over a hundred thousand dollars. I doubt they spend that kind of money on you in a whim. 

I do have one way of solving this. 100% success rate. Don't use any of the money they have saved up, and instead you get a job and take a loan. Then you move to Manila. How does that sound? It's a bit harder to justify "my girlfriend wants to go there" now that it is at the expense of your own time and money, isn't it? 

They can't say no if it's your own money that you have earned for this specific purpose, right? 

Dude your girlfriend will see how insecure you are if you follow her to a new school and when she meets the way hotter guy than you and you catch her banging him, you'll wish you had listening to your parents.  Pretty much guaranteed she's going to be well used by the end of university and not by you.  Think with your head, not your dick.

On 2016-08-29 at 7:21 AM, djdelarosa25 said:

Hey there. I'm an incoming senior high school student, and there are no schools in our place that have SH. There's this one university which is about an hour and a half drive away and this is where they want to send me. But, I want to go to this uni in Manila, because my girlfriend will go there. They say that it will be too costly and that my college savings will be spent just for senior high. But I know that they can support me since they buy us whatever the fuck we want. How do I convince them to let me go to the school that I want?

Here's the thing.

Listen to everyone else in this thread. No offense, but this makes you sound super entitled. Basically you sound like a rich kid brat who isn't getting their way for once. Maybe that's not the case - I don't know you, so I cannot comment about your personality or your situation at home, but from the limited info you've provided, this is how it comes across.

I have a potential compromise for you though:

1. Calculate the cost of going to the University in Manila - include cost of living (budget for food, residence at the uni/renting privately, small amount of spending money, text books/school supplies/software/a computer (if needed)/tuition, etc).

2. Do the same for the cost of going to University that is only 1.5 hours away.

3. Subtract #2 from #1

4. Offer to pay for the difference yourself. Get a part time job and save up that amount of money, and/or take out a student loan.

Your parents are under no obligation to send you to whatever the fuck school you want. Their money, their choice. Don't like it? Use someone else's money.

I had to pay for my own College. And because of that, I went to the school I wanted. BUT because I was paying my own way, I chose a school that wasn't overly impractical or expensive.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)