mITX Prodigy i5 4570 and an R9 270X, First R7/R9 build on LTT?

Demos

So I built a computer back in December 2012, and my goal with that PC was silence. I wanted it as quiet as possible, and spent a lot of money doing so over a long period of time.

Heres the Build Log and photos in an Imgur Album

One of my friends actually offered to buy my build 2 days ago, and for not much less than I payed for it, so I decided to take him up on the offer and build a new system, one which suited me better and in my favourite case, the Prodigy. I kept my 2 SSD's and sold him the rest of my build. I still need to fix up the cable management, but I can't be bothered at the moment. Prices don't reflect what I payed for, I spent around $1300NZD on new parts. I also got the NH-U12s on a locked processor because I do not like the stock coolers one bit, and the U12s is a fantastic cooler.

Here are some photos, the rest of  the album is here

yXuhZ6Vh.jpg

Wmv4GTyh.jpg

L1D8DQZh.jpg

fa42btTh.jpg

EltYJOah.jpg

c1P05bch.jpg

lEIXeVbh.jpg

rCw0KRVh.jpg

3lYi0PVh.jpg

De8jG4Mh.jpg

RAM Choice: Single channel because of price at time of buying, am aiming to get another 8GB DIMM in the near future, a dual RAM kit was around $30 more.

CPU Choice: I went with what suited me. My old rig had a 3570k that I didn't even overclock, because I wanted to future proof at the time. I went with a more suitable 4570 and an H87 mobo.

Case Choice: My reasoning behind mITX is because I fell into BAPC trap of "Get ATX its future proof", and bought beyond what I needed. Don't need a 2nd GPU because I'm fine with basically a 7870. Don't need a soundcard as I have a Fiio E10. Disclaimer this case, while looking nice, is a fucking awful building experience. Beyond ridiculous.

Cooler choice: I went with Noctua for CPU Cooling because I had a good experience with them on my last build, its a nice quality heatsink that doesn't break the budget and is really quiet. I'm well aware its on a locked processor, but the stock heatsink is a joke, it barely keeps the chip cool and it's loud as all buggery.

GPU Choice: Just as I was about to buy a 7870, my local retailer listed the R9 270x on their website, put in a pre-order and shipped 2 days before official release. Not bad. Also the same price as the 7870, so no loss there.

Future plans include,

• Adding a Window
  • Adding an NZXT Hue
  • Possibly more SSD's
  • Watercooling in March next year, Full loop.

CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | CPU:  i5 4570| CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U12s | MOTHERBOARD: Asus H87-I Plus| RAM: Muskin Blackline 8GB | SSD: Samsung 830 128gb | 

SSD: Samsung 840 128gb SSD(Games) | GPU: Asus R9 270X DCUII | PSU: Seasonic 660w | MONITORS: LG 23" IPS 5ms |

Looks nice awesome job!

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

One thing I can tell you is that its a lot easier to build in the itx version than the m-atx version :P

Cpu: Intel i5 3570k @4.3Ghz *cooled by Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme* | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy-M | Motherbord: Asus P8Z77-M Ram: Patriot Viper 3 8gb @1600mhz | Video Card: Asus HD7870 @1180/1300 |

Power Supply: Corsair HX650 Monitor: LG 22EN43 | KeyBord: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid  | Mouse: Corsair M60 | Sound CardCreative Sound Blaster Z|Headset : Audio Techinca ATH-M50 |

Storage : Sandisk Extreme 120gb and 1tb Seagate Barracuda |

Yeah, the clearance with the power supply is so small that the PCIe harness would not fit and I had to use molex adapters. Not to mention trying to cable manage the 24 pin.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

R9 270X  :wub:

6600K  |  16GB HYPERX  |  GTX1070 FE  |  Z170X-UD3  |  AIR540

Respect the past, Embrace the future.

looks nice!

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Everything looks great...

except the mouse... 

Case: Xigmatek Alfar (Black) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 @3.2GHz | MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 1600MHz | GFX: Gigabyte GTX 660Ti 2GB
Cooler: beQuiet! Shadow Rock | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | HDD: Seagate 'Barracuda' 2TB| OS: Windows 8.1 PRO (64-bit) | PSU: Zalman ZM600-GT 600W 80+ Bronze
 Screen: ASUS VS228 | Mouse: Razer Naga Molten | Headphones: Qpad QH-85 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 w/ Cherry MX Blue

Yeah, the clearance with the power supply is so small that the PCIe harness would not fit and I had to use molex adapters. Not to mention trying to cable manage the 24 pin.

Oh its ridiculous how little space there is for cables.

R9 270X  :wub:

<3 Its a lovely card.

looks nice!

Why thank you! :)

Everything looks great...

except the mouse... 

Its my testing mouse, the DeathAdder 2012 I have sometimes doesn't like to play nice with UEFI.

CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | CPU:  i5 4570| CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U12s | MOTHERBOARD: Asus H87-I Plus| RAM: Muskin Blackline 8GB | SSD: Samsung 830 128gb | 

SSD: Samsung 840 128gb SSD(Games) | GPU: Asus R9 270X DCUII | PSU: Seasonic 660w | MONITORS: LG 23" IPS 5ms |

Dat depth of field. Any reason you didn't go for the new Phenom M case?

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Dat depth of field. Any reason you didn't go for the new Phenom M case?

:D F/2.0 lens.

Not availabe in NZ until late Novemeber, plus I love the look of the Prodigy!

I like it Man looks great  ;)

PC everything!

CPU-FX8350@4.2  GPU- Sapphire 7870  RAM-8Gb Corsair Vengence @1866 Case-Arc Midi R2 PSU-Rosewill Xtreme Series 850W  Hard Drive-1.5T MOBO-ASRock 970 Extreme3

Looks sick!

that a Shine 2 there? :rolleyes:

I like it Man looks great  ;)

Many thanks!

Looks sick!

that a Shine 2 there? :rolleyes:

Shine II indeed! Its so lovely to use, Cherry MX Browns :D

Many thanks!

Shine II indeed! Its so lovely to use, Cherry MX Browns :D

hell yeah, I have a Cherry brown shine II as well ;) (blue backlit and white keycaps)

Looks really nice and clean for a prodigy build. Also, couldn't you find a 7870 for a lower price (since it's the same thing)?

hell yeah, I have a Cherry brown shine II as well ;) (blue backlit and white keycaps)

:D Nice!

Looks really nice and clean for a prodigy build. Also, couldn't you find a 7870 for a lower price (since it's the same thing)?

I could, but why? It was like a $10 price difference for a 10%-15% slower card.

I could, but why? It was like a $10 price difference for a 10%-15% slower card.

A slight overclock would have given you the same performance, but yeah $10 isn't much, if the cooler is similar I'd probably have done the same.  :P

A slight overclock would have given you the same performance, but yeah $10 isn't much, if the cooler is similar I'd probably have done the same.  :P

But then if I overclocked the R9, it'd still be better.

Oh the Sapphire's cooler on my old 7870 is much better than the cooler on the Asus. I fucking hate this DCUII Design, it's awful and loud.

It says 20% quieter on the box, I only imagine they mean 20% quieter than a Boeing 747.

Why will you be doing a full liquid cooling loop in the future if you can't overclock the cpu?

Nice clean build btw!

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

But then if I overclocked the R9, it'd still be better.

Oh the Sapphire's cooler on my old 7870 is much better than the cooler on the Asus. I fucking hate this DCUII Design, it's awful and loud.

It says 20% quieter on the box, I only imagine they mean 20% quieter than a Boeing 747.

There is usually slightly less oc headroom on the r9 since they are the exact same chips, in fact you should be able to run them in crossfire.

I have heard the vapor-x cooler on sapphire cards is awesome, although I do hate the blue pcb...

Why will you be doing a full liquid cooling loop in the future if you can't overclock the cpu?

Nice clean build btw!

Thank you! :) Same reason I bought a CPU cooler for my locked CPU, quiet cooling.

Although, there are no full cover waterblocks for the damned R9 270X....

There is usually slightly less oc headroom on the r9 since they are the exact same chips, in fact you should be able to run them in crossfire.

..... Can't run crossfire on an mITX board haha. Also the 270X chip I believe is a Tahiti LE, meaning basically a 7930.

..... Can't run crossfire on an mITX board haha. Also the 270X chip I believe is a Tahiti LE, meaning basically a 7930.

Wasn't talking about your board in particular, just stating it was possible :D. AFAIK it uses  the same Pitcairn GPU (AMD is actually calling it Curacao but it's the same thing) as in the 7870 Ghz Edition. You can easily check that with GPU-z.

Wasn't talking about your board in particular, just stating it was possible :D. AFAIK it uses  the same Pitcairn GPU (AMD is actually calling it Curacao but it's the same thing) as in the 7870 Ghz Edition. You can easily check that with GPU-z.

Oh what the fuck, it is a Pitcairn GPU, 28nm. It is significantly OC'ed out of the box though, 1120mhz Base clock and 1400mhz Memory clock.

• 2 months later...

i want to build a quiet pc to be put inside my room as well...

this will be my first pc and i don't know anything about PC in general. i used laptops and the softwares, but i hv zero knowledge about PC hardware.

so far from googling i managed to collect these parts for PC quiet...

Intel i5 3570

Noctua NH-U12P

MSI H87-G43 or MSI H87I

Corsair Vengeance 8gb DDR3 1600mhz

MSI GTX 650 Ti Boost 2gb

Spare SSD

Spare HDD

the part where im still confused is the PSU and the casing.

im confused whether i should go bitfenix prodigy or fractal define R3 for my build case

and whether i should go seasonic M12II 520W bronze or G450W gold...?

i dont hv enough to buy G550W gold though which is why i don't put it there... do you think seasonic PSU is quiet enough?

Did you ditch your antec water cooler when you bought the Noctua fans or did you used both?

=====

i posted the same post on your other thread as well cheerss

Nice build, here and the one you sold. I was wondering what sound foam you have used before. FWIW I thought the MB color in your other build looked fine.