XMP problem

Matias_Chambers

I have 16 GB's of Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM running in dual channel. (2x8) If I don't enable XMP it runs at 2133 MHz. It is advertised to run at 3000 MHz. When I have XMP mode turned on I have a problem where whenever I power on my PC from sleep mode, it doesn't work and it just keeps trying to turn on but turns off again after a few seconds in an infinite loop. This never happens when my PC has been fully shut down. It is also stable in everything also memory stress tests. Any suggestions for what could be causing the problem and how to fix it? I have tried swapping the RAM sticks around. 

34 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

I have 16 GB's of Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM running in dual channel. (2x8) If I don't enable XMP it runs at 2133 MHz. It is advertised to run at 3000 MHz. When I have XMP mode turned on I have a problem where whenever I power on my PC from sleep mode, it doesn't work and it just keeps trying to turn on but turns off again after a few seconds in an infinite loop. This never happens when my PC has been fully shut down. It is also stable in everything also memory stress tests. Any suggestions for what could be causing the problem and how to fix it? I have tried swapping the RAM sticks around. 

I know the 'turning on and off' again issue is due to the memory overclock failing (my board will do the same thing when an overclock fails).

Make sure your base clock is 100 mhz (unless you're base clock overclocking).  You'll probably get 2933mhz as an option, but it will be stable.

If that doesn't work, it could be a motherboard issue.

Motherboard?

1 minute ago, Biggerboot said:

I know the 'turning on and off' again issue is due to the memory overclock failing (my board will do the same thing when an overclock fails).

Make sure your base clock is 100 mhz (unless you're base clock overclocking).  You'll probably get 2933mhz as an option, but it will be stable.

The only XMP option I have is 3000 MHz. I believe my baseclock is at 125 Mhz which it automatically set it to when I turned on XMP. I once tried manually setting it to 2666 MHz. It wasn't stable in stresstests. 

1 minute ago, Matias_Chambers said:

The only XMP option I have is 3000 MHz. I believe my baseclock is at 125 Mhz which it automatically set it to when I turned on XMP. I once tried manually setting it to 2666 MHz. It wasn't stable in stresstests. 

You should have you memory clocked down a lot lower in a bclk overclock.  A lot of guides recommend ~2600, but it varies obviously depending on the motherboard and RAM.  You shouldn't have an option for a perfect 2666 either, because the base clock multiplies the ram speed too.

36 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Are both mobo and GPU bios updated? I've seen sleep issues fixed with those.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Imakuni said:

I will try that now. I believe there is a BIOS update for my motherboard. 

Just now, Biggerboot said:

Just be careful not to update to too new of a version if you don't want to lose your bclk oc. ;)

I didn't BCLK OC.

42 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

What is the cpu? Sounds like a weak memory controller to me

1 minute ago, Cloveh said:

Intel Core i7 5820K and the mobo is Gigabyte GA-X99-SLI. 

I'd bet on the mobo being stupid or the PSU flipping out on low power states first before I'd jump to the IMC... certainly possible, but that would definitely not be what I'd bet on.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Imakuni said:

I'd bet on the mobo being stupid or the PSU flipping out on low power states first before I'd jump to the IMC... certainly possible, but that would definitely not be what I'd bet on.

The PSU is an EVGA P2 650W by the way. 

8 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Also it is possible to be a motherboard issue but not likely. If you are having issues at base clock speeds, it's the mobo. If not, I am guessing memory controller. 

Just now, Matias_Chambers said:

Intel Core i7 5820K and the mobo is Gigabyte GA-X99-SLI. 

I had a faulty memory controller on my 6800k recently. I sent it back 2 weeks ago. It could be that. Did you use memtest?

Just now, Cloveh said:

Also it is possible to be a motherboard issue but not likely. If you are having issues at base clock speeds, it's the mobo. If not, I am guessing memory controller. 

I had a faulty memory controller on my 6800k recently. I sent it back 2 weeks ago. It could be that. Did you use memtest?

I don't have any issues without XMP on. I used AIDA 64 and Intel XTU to test the memory. I will try memtest later.

The PSU is an EVGA P2 650W by the way. 

EVGA makes good psu's, but it could be bad. Luckily they have the best rma. 

2 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

I don't have any issues without XMP on. I used AIDA 64 and Intel XTU to test the memory. I will try memtest later.

Definitely use memtest. It's the best way to figure out the problem. If it freezes during the test I have my bets on bad imc. 

18 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

One question, are these 2 motherboards the same? http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5332&dl=1#ov http://pcpartpicker.com/product/Qcqbt6/gigabyte-motherboard-gax99sli

Edited by Matias_Chambers

Yeah, they surely look identical to me.

What do you mean the same?

Like literally the same. Because when I try to run the BIOS update this happens.

Capture 3.PNG

Capture 3.PNG

Edited by Matias_Chambers

31 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

When you enable XMP, does it automatically adjust the DRAM voltage as well? You should have 1.35v with the XMP profile (as opposed to 1.2v without it).

If it's trying to run XMP clocks and timings with 1.2v it won't be stable.