First build....(Seemed like a good idea at the time.)

Ok, this is what I got:

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/FDPHzM

to build a fun to build, awesome looking workstation for doing 3D modelling in Blender, silent running conversation piece.

....and this is how far I've come:

image.jpeg

Got it lighting up, it starts, fans blowing, lights changing colours and it shuts off.....them immediately starts up again runs for half a minute or so and shuts off again, etc..

Ripped everything out, reconnected it again. No improvement.

Is it a security measure that tells that something is installed wrong? Is it a faulty component? Did I connect something wrong?

Can it be it doesn't recognise my old monitor in constant dormant state?

Only thing I did not do is take the CPU cooler off, thought it best to leave that for when there can be no other cause for this sequence.

No reset button on the Phanteks Evolv ATX Tempered Glass case.

No boot, just on and off. Power switch turns it on, but not off.

All suggestions more than welcome. Thanks.

Try only connecting the bare minimum to boot, to see where the issue comes from.

Try only using one stick of ram, if you can try out a other graphics card... 

(Those sexy feet :o)

Also later on the year you should upgrade the one of the new 3D Nand PCIE SSD's. Not only are they super duper fast but they are also going to be very cheap starting at $80 for 120GB.

I'm part of the "Help a noob foundation" 

Yeah, my feet!

Thought that got someone replying! ;)

Did that, but does the single remaining ram need to be in slot nr1?

Took the graphics card out, even the cable.

The HDD, the ssd.

Do you need a current monitor to boot? A connected optical drive? I put the HDD and the SSD in Sata 0 and 1.......correct?

there are two Sata 0 and 1 connectors and Sata Express connectors.....very confusing!

Could it be a processor failure? Thermal paste thingy? (Pea-size applied)

GPU in pci-e 4, 2nd. from above because of the size of the cooler.

6 minutes ago, Carlos1010 said:

Also later on the year you should upgrade the one of the new 3D Nand PCIE SSD's. Not only are they super duper fast but they are also going to be very cheap starting at $80 for 120GB.

How do you know they will be super fast and very cheap?

Anyhow, that doesn't have much to do with the OP's question.

As @Nastier said, try stripping it down to just CPU, cooler, mobo, ram, psu, and GPU and try booting it. If that doesn't work try putting only one stick of ram in at a time and try booting. Also plug in headphones or something to listen for beep codes coming from the mobo.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

OK, so you completed the hardware build? is what I got from your text above... but that it doesn't go anywhere from that, it doesn't go into BIOS/UEFI?

Or have you already set the options in BIOS/UEFI and you are attempting to boot into the windows installer from USB or DVD? but nothing's happening?

Are you using USB stick or DVD? and how did you make it, you did make it bootable right?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Nope, no sound on the headphones.

what I find strange, however is that the pretty coloursequence (of which I an quite tired by now already) has one complete sequence, from red to...well.......réd. And then it kind of resets the computer.

It does nothing but run the fans, run a lighshow one time and shuts off, only to turn on right away and it all starts over.

If stripping it down and only using one ram stick ata time doesny work see if there is any phisical damage to any of the components, snapped or loose wire on the psu, deep scratches on the mobo or even a bend cpu socket pin, these things rarely happen but i have had to fix ~10 cpu sockets and psu cables over 2 years of working in a pc repair shop. 

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

How do you know they will be super fast and very cheap?

Ok, ripped everything out but a single ddr in slot 2,

the 24 and the 8 pin cable and the power switch.

and still it does it!

like the video about the troubleshooting said: "This pc is f*cking with me!"

well I can only say:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VOZbfgZiks4

1 hour ago, Nastier said:

Maybe this could help you :

Even if I'm not the OP what does dual boot mean at 7:35? 

@Rudolf_Rednose Did you try to put your stick in every slot ? 

1 hour ago, Carlos1010 said:

Even if I'm not the OP what does dual boot mean at 7:35? 

When you instal two OS on one computer, like say if you want to play games on Windows, but on the other hand want to be using Linux on your machine as well. You can choose which OS you want to boot on when the system start up.

Edit : He says it's a dual Bios motherboard, which means you have 2 Bioses on the motherboard, in case one becomes corrupted for any reason, you have a backup

Took everything off the mobo.

Cleaned the CPU and the heatsink, new thermal paste, put the whole thing back together outside the case. Still the same.

Cables?

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

To humor me, try unplugging the power supply for at least 30 minutes.

Then plug it in, turn on the power supply, but NOT the computer, leave it be for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then hit the power button and turn it on. If it posts and you get into the BIOS, your motherboard is broken and needs to be replaced.

(I had this problem a few years back and after building everything, it posted once, then I moved it and I couldn't get it to boot anymore, whatever I tried. This turned out to be the trick)

Hope it helps!

• Quindor from the Intermittent Technology blog (intermit.tech) and YouTube channel (Intermit.Tech)
  • Organizer of LAN-parties (1100 people) The Party and CampZone (~2000 people)
  • Officially a senior storage expert, un-officially a networking expert, besides all of that enjoys lots of different computer related subjects
  • Aspiring video maker! ;)

Just now, Rudolf_Rednose said:

Woon je in de buurt toevallig?

No clue, Brabant

• Quindor from the Intermittent Technology blog (intermit.tech) and YouTube channel (Intermit.Tech)
  • Officially a senior storage expert, un-officially a networking expert, besides all of that enjoys lots of different computer related subjects

Just now, Rudolf_Rednose said:

Woon je in de buurt toevallig?

No clue, Brabant

Nou, ik zit net over de grens bij Oldenzaal.

niet in de buurt dus.

ben je tip aan het proberen.

Nope, no change.

the board should run without any GPU or monitor, shouldn't it?

Might be my old monitor is toast.

14 minutes ago, Rudolf_Rednose said:

Nope, no change.

the board should run without any GPU or monitor, shouldn't it?

Might be my old monitor is toast.

Sucks that it didn't work. I'd return with the hardware to the shop where you bought it and have them test it and figure out what is wrong.

6 minutes ago, Quindor said:

Sucks that it didn't work. I'd return with the hardware to the shop where you bought it and have them test it and figure out what is wrong.

Hmmm,

Amazon and Mindfactory.de

but Mindfactory has got a shop aswell. Will call them tomorrow. Thanks.

Been all the way up to the north of Germany to the store that sent me most of those parts, since they offered to check out the CPU and the Motherboard (or Mozzaboad as they say.) just to be sure I brought the RAM aswell.

It seemes that was the problem. Not compatible.

Now off for a nice display, keyboard and a wifi thingamagic.

Thanks for y'all's help on this, and will keep you posted on how this turns out.....(or rather: please hang around for my next cry for help. ;) )

Looked on Pcpartpickers for some nice figurines to use the glass case to its full potential, but nothing compatible so far.

image.jpeg