Partition a Storage Device (HDD/Hard Drive) for Linux, Mac, and Windows

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

I made this an open post to the community to help others if needed so feel free to use this guide wherever in a helpful manner and what not. I'm shocked I haven't found a guide like this already floating out there. Not sure if people need this or not, but I found it helpful for storing data. 

Feedback is welcome/appreciated!

Intro Note - It is not recommended to use this guide but rather as an appropriate alternative to have dedicated separate drives for each storage type (a storage drive for Mac, a storage drive for Windows, and a storage for Linux). This is because if/when the Mac's default encryption option in OS X is used to encrypt the Mac storage on a drive that is also partitioned for storing Windows and Linux, it interferes with the other two storage partitions (Windows and Linux) and their rights to access their partitions are revoked. This is just so that each OS can communicate and be in charge of their own dedicated storage systems properly. This guide was made for those that don't have the option to get other dedicated storage drives for each type.

Setting the Dedicated Space Using OS X

1. Boot into the Mac OS X USB installer

2. From the top, select, "Utilities", then select "Disk Utility"

3. Select the storage device that you want to store Mac, Windows, and Linux files to

----Be sure the storage device is formatted as GUID and not Master Boot Record or it will not work!----

4. Select the "Partition" button from the Disk Utility window

5. Click the "+" button once in the bottom left. This will create two partitions. Make sure that the Mac partition will be the size of the Mac partition and the remaining partition that has not been created yet.

6. The most recently created partition should be set to "MS-DOS (FAT)" format. Title this partition accordingly, as this will be the name of the Linux or Windows partition of choice.

7. Now that one of the three partitions have been created, it's time to separate the second and the third.

8. Select the remaining partition which contains the space for both Mac and Windows or Linux storage. Windows or Linux will depend on your choice from earlier. If you you picked Linux earlier, then you will be choosing Windows. If you picked Windows earlier, then you will be choosing Linux. With the remaining partition being selected, select the "+" button one more time on the bottom left.

9. Three separate partitions should now be shown and available. Make sure that each partition will have its own title for each type of partition. (Each title coressponding to its partition. A title for Linux, a title for Windows, and a title for Mac. )

10. For now, make sure that the Windows and Linux partitions are both set to "MS-DOS (FAT)" format. Only the Mac partition should be set to Mac format, "OS X Extended (Journaled)".

----Note – If planning on using encryption for the Mac partition, select "OS X Extended (Journaled, Encrypted)"----

Setting the Windows Partition From MS-DOS (FAT) to NTFS

Now that the Mac partition has been created successfully, it's time to move on to set the second and the third partitions. This segment will only focus on setting the Windows partition.

1. Boot into the Linux operating system (This guide will be using Fedora )

2. Swipe the mouse to the top left of the screen. On the left from the bar, select "Show All Applications"

3. Select "Utilities"

4. Select "Disks"

5. Select the drive containing the three partitions.

6. Select the Windows partition

7. Select the "-" button

8. Select the "Delete" button

9. Select the free space equal to or close to the size of the Windows partition

10. Select the "+" button

11. Select the "Compatible with most systems (NTFS)"

12. Name the partition

13. Select the "Create" button

Setting the Linux Partition From MS-DOS (FAT) to (LUKS + Ext4) or (Ext4)

Now that two of the three partitions have been created successfully, it's time to move onto the third and final partition. This segment will only be focussing on the Linux partition.

1. Select the Linux partition

2. Select the "-" button

3. Select the "Delete" button

4. Select the free space equal or close to the size of the Linux partition

5. Select the "+" button

6. Select "Compatible with Linux systems (Ext4)" or, if using encryption for the Linux partitoin, select "Encrypted, compatible with Linux systems (LUKS + Ext4)"

7. Name the partition

8. Select the "Create" button

For the record, the Mac partition in this method/guide does not fall under the rule of breaking the Apple EULA (or commonly reffered to as Hackintoshing) as this can be done with external hard drives/HDDs and be used for a Mac. You can have all three distributions, Mac, Windows, and Linux running off of a Mac and use an external drive for storage in each category. 

I figure I should clear this up as some may be confused if this would count towards the clear rule being to not post Hackintosh content/not breaking the Apple EULA (You get the idea. ). 

I made this an open post to the community to help others if needed so feel free to use this guide wherever in a helpful manner and what not. I'm shocked I haven't found a guide like this already floating out there. Not sure if people need this or not, but I found it helpful for storing data. 

Feedback is welcome/appreciated!