Just got a 1060. Why are the clock speeds acting so weird?

Not a super big concern but just a question: When I'm playing Overwatch on my 1060 it runs beautifully even on max settings. However sometimes when I'm playing it the GPU will run at around 1000 Mhz and have maybe 60-80% usage, but other times it will run at the full boost clock of around 1930 for seemingly no reason, and sit at like 30-50% usage. I'd rather it run at 1000 ish Mhz always when playing this game because I get the same framerate (I have the display based frame limiter on) but the card stays cooler and quieter. Is this just GPUBoost derping or something else, and how can I fix it?

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

What's CPU usage like?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

That's what happens when you pair an expensive new GPU with a shitty OEM PSU.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

25 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

shitty OEM PSU

Delta is a shitty OEM PSU ..

Spoiler

facepalm.jpg

---

the boost clock fluctuates on pretty much anything

increase the power target, ramp up the fan curve - it will give some smoother boost clock

Just now, zMeul said:

Delta is a shitty OEM PSU 

facepalm.jpg

Even Delta/SeaSonic can have cheap units when the company ordering them is Acer or Asus.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

my 1070 does something like this in Mad Max. could be gpu boost 3.0 but i'm not sure about that 

35 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What's CPU usage like?

40-70%

Just now, Spork829 said:

40-70%

Does it occur in any other title?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

36 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Not a super big concern but just a question: When I'm playing Overwatch on my 1060 it runs beautifully even on max settings. However sometimes when I'm playing it the GPU will run at around 1000 Mhz and have maybe 60-80% usage, but other times it will run at the full boost clock of around 1930 for seemingly no reason, and sit at like 30-50% usage. I'd rather it run at 1000 ish Mhz always when playing this game because I get the same framerate (I have the display based frame limiter on) but the card stays cooler and quieter. Is this just GPUBoost derping or something else, and how can I fix it?

you have a frame limiter set to 60hz so sometimes when the sequence on screen is action packed the GPU is boosting to 1930mhz and when it's easier to render it doesnt need to go that fast to meet your target FPS therefore to save power/heat/noise the nvidia card will trottle down.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Does it occur in any other title?

Yeah, sometimes. Actually a good example that might help is that when I open Osu! (which takes basically no graphics power at all) it will run at 1506 Mhz for like 20 seconds at like 2-4% usage, and then finally figure out it doesn't need to be at that clock speed and goes down to like 600.

Just now, Spork829 said:

Yeah, sometimes. Actually a good example that might help is that when I open Osu! (which takes basically no graphics power at all) it will run at 1506 Mhz for like 20 seconds at like 2-4% usage, and then finally figure out it doesn't need to be at that clock speed and goes down to like 600.

but why is this bothering you exactly? i think you focus too much on the PC stats...you should just enjoy your games instead ;)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

7 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Even Delta/SeaSonic can have cheap units when the company ordering them is Acer or Asus.

Kind of spooky that you say that, my Delta PSU came out of an Asus prebuilt 0_0. Good thing my birthday is on Monday so I'm upgrading that and maybe getting an SSD as well.

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

but why is this bothering you exactly? i think you focus too much on the PC stats...you should just enjoy your games instead ;)

Well with the Osu! thing I don't care, but it gets noticeably hotter and louder when it boosts up to (what seems to be) higher than necessary in Overwatch. I'd rather it stay cooler and quieter. But yeah it's not overheating or anything (75C max) nor does it get that loud so I was more just wondering why it does this, not a big concern.

Just now, Spork829 said:

Well with the Osu! thing I don't care, but it gets noticeably hotter and louder when it boosts up to (what seems to be) higher than necessary in Overwatch. I'd rather it stay cooler and quieter. But yeah it's not overheating or anything (75C max) nor does it get that loud so I was more just wondering why it does this, not a big concern.

the algorithm that drive GPU boost 3.0 are pretty elaborate and sofisticated...so if the card is boosting it's probably because there is a need or request for more performance...

the algorithm that drive GPU boost 3.0 are pretty elaborate and sofisticated...so if the card is boosting it's probably because there is a need or request for more performance...

Right, it's just odd that once it boosts it's only at like 40% usage, so I'm not sure why the algorithm thinks I need more performance there.

Just now, Spork829 said:

Right, it's just odd that once it boosts it's only at like 40% usage, so I'm not sure why the algorithm thinks I need more performance there.

It's just the way it works. If the frame rate is remaining the same, then I think the GPU is just compensating by of course increasing usage, but also clock speeds.

That's probably the most logical conclusion that can be made here.

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

still if the GPU usage is low like that the card must be remaining decently cool and very quiet...no?

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

still if the GPU usage is low like that the card must be remaining decently cool and very quiet...no?

Yes, like I said it's not a big problem or anything. When it's staying at ~1000 Mhz it's at like 50-55 degrees, whereas boosted up to ~1930 it'll get up to maybe 65 degrees and be a bit louder.

Just now, Spork829 said:

Yes, like I said it's not a big problem or anything. When it's staying at ~1000 Mhz it's at like 50-55 degrees, whereas boosted up to ~1930 it'll get up to maybe 65 degrees and be a bit louder.

that shouldnt be though...if the card is running faster but the overall GPU load is then lower because of that...technically the card is processing about the same amount of data so again technically the temperatures should remain pretty much the same...it's wierd :P

that shouldnt be though...if the card is running faster but the overall GPU load is then lower because of that...technically the card is processing about the same amount of data so again technically the temperatures should remain pretty much the same...it's wierd :P

It may increase voltage, which would produce more heat.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

i see, yes technically that's a possibility.

out of curiosity is it set to prefer maximum performance in the nvidia control panel?  If not at least try that.

Welcome to the pascal club where GPU boost 3.0 dictates every thing on your new card and reduces your overclocks lol.

[CPU: 4.3 GHZ I5-4670K] [MB: Gigabyte Z87-D3H] [RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1833 MHZ (8GB)]

[GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070] [PSU: Corsair CX-750] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 2TB 7200RPM HDD / 500GB Samsung 850 EVO ] [Case: ThermalTake Chaser-MK 1]

[Keyboard:Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX] [Mouse: Razer DeathAdder] [Monitor: 2 x ASUS 24 INCH IPS (1440p Soon)]

2 hours ago, Gullerback said:

out of curiosity is it set to prefer maximum performance in the nvidia control panel?  If not at least try that.

It's set to "let the 3D application decide".

3 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Makes sense.