i7 6700k overlclocking help!

So I need 1.38v to get to 4.6 GHz on my i7 6700k, but I see so many people who have 4.6ghz at less than 1.35v. Did I get a bad chip? I don't know if 1.38v would be safe for long term use, but it doesnt go higher than 67c at ambient 24c when stress testing for 1 hour on aida 64 and im using the h100i gtx. I'm currently running at 4.5GHz at 1.32v and the stock voltage on the motherboard bios showed as 1.3. I don't know what I should do pls help.

System

• CPU
    I7 6700K Overclocked to 4.6 GHz at 1.33v
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
    GSKILL RIPJAWS V DDR4 16GB 3000MHZ
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G overclocked to 2063 MHZ and 8900 MHZ memory clock
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
    WD 1TB BLUE AND SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
    LG 25UM58-P ULTRAWIDE and LG 29UM58-P 29 ULTRAWIDE
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
    LOGITECH G502 PROTEUS SPECTRUM
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

Just now, laushik said:

So I need 1.38v to get to 4.6 GHz on my i7 6700k, but I see so many people who have 4.6ghz at less than 1.35v. Did I get a bad chip? I don't know if 1.38v would be safe for long term use, but it doesnt go higher than 67c at ambient 24c when stress testing for 1 hour on aida 64 and im using the h100i gtx. I'm currently running at 4.5GHz at 1.32v and the stock voltage on the motherboard bios showed as 1.3. I don't know what I should do pls help.

I'm going to ask for a HWMonitor screenshot while stressing just for the sake of being 100% sure; show your mobo and CPU readings (minimize everything else) on the screenshot. To be honest, though, your numbers seem fairly normal to me.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just be happy with the OC you have, if it's stable and generates less heat then that's great. I mean really is it worth stressing about an extra 100Mhz per core? what will you do with all that extra performance? :P

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

I'm going to ask for a HWMonitor screenshot while stressing just for the sake of being 100% sure; show your mobo and CPU readings (minimize everything else) on the screenshot. To be honest, though, your numbers seem fairly normal to me.

Ok right now im at 4.5ghz do you want to switch over to 4.6ghz?

System

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

1 minute ago, laushik said:

Ok right now im at 4.5ghz do you want to switch over to 4.6ghz?

If you are complaining about 4.6, then I guess it's only natural to post a screenshot on 4.6 rather than 4.5, no?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

12 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

If you are complaining about 4.6, then I guess it's only natural to post a screenshot on 4.6 rather than 4.5, no?

Ok here are the results.

Screenshot (2).png

System

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

30 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

The CPU is only using max 1.356v, but I dont know why it needs so much voltage to stay stable.

System

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

Just now, laushik said:

The CPU is only using max 1.356v, but I dont know why it needs so much voltage to stay stable.

1.35 is really not that much. Sure, it's not amazing, but it's not bad by any means. Quite frankly, you are just flipping out for getting an average CPU rather than the golden samples people like to brag about. Just relax and enjoy your OC.

30 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

1.35 is really not that much. Sure, it's not amazing, but it's not bad by any means. Quite frankly, you are just flipping out for getting an average CPU rather than the golden samples people like to brag about. Just relax and enjoy your OC.

I think you've mistaken my comment. It takes me 1.38v to stably oc my cpu to 4.6ghz, but on hwmonitor it only uses a max of 1.356v. but I need 1.38v to stabilize it. I was asking why it needs so much more voltage than required to stabilize it.  

System

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

7 minutes ago, laushik said:

I think you've mistaken my comment. It takes me 1.38v to stably oc my cpu to 4.6ghz, but on hwmonitor it only uses a max of 1.356v. but I need 1.38v to stabilize it. I was asking why it needs so much more voltage than required to stabilize it.  

Oh, I see. Apparently, you are experiencing a case of Vdroop. You tell your CPU to run at 1.38v, but it's drooping all the way down to 1.356v when under load.

There are a couple ways to tackle it. One is to just ignore it; you need 1.356 to be stable and you are reaching that point (by requesting a higher voltage then dropping it), so you might ignore it if you want the easy way out. Right now, that's the solution you are using.

If you don't like that, though, you'll have to play with LLC. Whatever your mobo is setting while on auto, it's causing droop. So you'll have to put it at a lower level to avoid that, quite possibly even revert it (so you'll get more voltage than you tell it to).

That's the solution I'm using, I've set a lower voltage than what I want, so that my LLC level of choice overvolts it to what I actually want. If you'd like to go with this option, set LLC to the highest level available and then work your way down until you get happy.

14 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Oh, I see. Apparently, you are experiencing a case of Vdroop. You tell your CPU to run at 1.38v, but it's drooping all the way down to 1.356v when under load.

There are a couple ways to tackle it. One is to just ignore it; you need 1.356 to be stable and you are reaching that point (by requesting a higher voltage then dropping it), so you might ignore it if you want the easy way out. Right now, that's the solution you are using.

If you don't like that, though, you'll have to play with LLC. Whatever your mobo is setting while on auto, it's causing droop. So you'll have to put it at a lower level to avoid that, quite possibly even revert it (so you'll get more voltage than you tell it to).

That's the solution I'm using, I've set a lower voltage than what I want, so that my LLC level of choice overvolts it to what I actually want. If you'd like to go with this option, set LLC to the highest level available and then work your way down until you get happy.

Ok, this is my first custom pc so im not familiar with the term LLC and Vdroop. What is it and if I do what you suggested will that let me get to 4.6 ghz without using so much voltage? And if so I didnt quite understand your method.

System

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

Just now, laushik said:

Ok, this is my first custom pc so im not familiar with the term LLC and Vdroop.

Let's start with Vdroop. Basically, when under high load, the electrical current goes up. As a result, voltage goes down, even though it's not supposed to - that's Vdroop.

Load Line Calibartion (LLC) is related to that. To prevent Vdroop, the LLC setting is used to throw some extra voltage when under load to compensate for the drop.

14 minutes ago, laushik said:

What is it and if I do what you suggested will that let me get to 4.6 ghz without using so much voltage? And if so I didnt quite understand your method.

You didn't get it.

You are not using 1.38v. You might have set that in the Bios, but it's not what your CPU is actually running. Your CPU is running at 1.356v, regardless of you asking it to run at 1.38. Assuming 1.356 is the point of stability, playing with LLC won't allow you to run lower than that; it might allow you to tell it to run at a lower voltage, but in the end, it'll still require 1.356 to be stable. It will not magically allow for a better overclock.

Think of it as an appointment at 16:30 and you tell one of your friends it is a 16:00 (because you know he'll be late), you tell the other it's at 16:30 (because he arrives on point) and the other you tell it's at 17:00 (because he always arrives super early). The actual appointment is at 16:30 regardless of what you say, you are just telling different values to compensate.

10 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Let's start with Vdroop. Basically, when under high load, the electrical current goes up. As a result, voltage goes down, even though it's not supposed to - that's Vdroop.

Load Line Calibartion (LLC) is related to that. To prevent Vdroop, the LLC setting is used to throw some extra voltage when under load to compensate for the drop.

You didn't get it.

You are not using 1.38v. You might have set that in the Bios, but it's not what your CPU is actually running. Your CPU is running at 1.356v, regardless of you asking it to run at 1.38. Assuming 1.356 is the point of stability, playing with LLC won't allow you to run lower than that; it might allow you to tell it to run at a lower voltage, but in the end, it'll still require 1.356 to be stable. It will not magically allow for a better overclock.

Think of it as an appointment at 16:30 and you tell one of your friends it is a 16:00 (because you know he'll be late), you tell the other it's at 16:30 (because he arrives on point) and the other you tell it's at 17:00 (because he always arrives super early). The actual appointment is at 16:30 regardless of what you say, you are just telling different values to compensate.

Ohhhh ok great explanation! In my bios the LLC is set to 1.296v i think. How much should I lower it? And if I lower it won't use the 1.38v instead I could set it to the point of stability? (1.356v)

System

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

Just now, laushik said:

In my bios the LLC is set to 1.296v i think.

Wait... LLC shouldn't be a voltage setting. Can you take a picture with the available options please?

9 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Wait... LLC shouldn't be a voltage setting. Can you take a picture with the available options please?

Sorry nevermind there is no voltage setting. It just says auto, but It allows me to set it to a number.

IMG_0476[14701].JPG

System

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

10 minutes ago, laushik said:

Sorry nevermind there is no voltage setting. It just says auto, but It allows me to set it to a number.

There's no exact numbers here. You'll have to make a balancing act. High levels will cause droop, low levels will cause voltage to go above what you set in the bios. Ideally, you'll tel your CPU to run at 1.35v and the LLC setting of choice will slightly overshoot it to 1.356. It's trial and error at this point.

FYI, my voltage is set at 1.275 and my LLC shoots it up to 1.296. Though I use a different mobo (and CPU) so don't compare those numbers to yours.

5 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

There's no exact numbers here. You'll have to make a balancing act. High levels will cause droop, low levels will cause voltage to go above what you set in the bios. Ideally, you'll tel your CPU to run at 1.35v and the LLC setting of choice will slightly overshoot it to 1.356. It's trial and error at this point.

FYI, my voltage is set at 1.275 and my LLC shoots it up to 1.296. Though I use a different mobo (and CPU) so don't compare those numbers to yours.

Ok, but in my bios I dont have an option to set it to a percentage like others have. I can only set it to a number. what number should I set it to?

System

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

Just now, laushik said:

Ok, but in my bios I dont have an option to set it to a peercentage like others have. I can only set it to a number. what number should I set it to?

But that's exactly what it should be, a number. Mine, for instance, allows me to choose between 1~4 (and auto). Pick the highest available and work your way up. If there's no dropdown, use the + and - keys to change it.

14 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

But that's exactly what it should be, a number. Mine, for instance, allows me to choose between 1~4 (and auto). Pick the highest available and work your way up. If there's no dropdown, use the + and - keys to change it.

Ok so I set the LLC to the higest setting (what is the VAXG loadline calibration?) and then I set it to 4.6ghz at 1.36v (Haven't tried lower voltage, but probably would work at 1.356v since that is the max voltage it used) then I ran 3 cinebench tests and ran aida 64 for 5 mins and it actually worked at 1.36v instead of 1.38v!!!!!!! But the only problem is that it seems to have increased my cpu tempratures about 7 degrees Celsius (used to be 70c, now reaching upto 78c).

System

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

4 hours ago, laushik said:

Ok here are the results.

Screenshot (2).png

if im not mistaken your voltage is 1.415 under the section intel core i7 6700k - ViD which im sure is your cpu voltage its 1.415 thats probs why you think the temps are high or i must be blind and getting something wrong because ViD is the same for my cpu and mine shows 1.261 which it is in the bios also

test.png

l i7 5930k | Rampage V Extreme | Corsair H110i GTX | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 Superclocked ACX 3.0 | EVGA SuperNova 750w G2 | Samsung 960 Evo 250GB l Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | 1 TB WD Red | Corsair 900D |

Evolution - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LbJq9W

CPU-Z Validation - http://valid.x86.fr/3dxmew

20 hours ago, laushik said:

what is the VAXG loadline calibration?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it's LLC for the iGPU.

20 hours ago, laushik said:

But the only problem is that it seems to have increased my cpu tempratures about 7 degrees Celsius (used to be 70c, now reaching upto 78c).

It's probably because it's now running at a constant high voltage, rather than going down. More voltage = More heat.