What determines if a cpu runs at max boost clock or not?

Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

Two things:

• When there's enough work to do so. You can override this with UEFI and Windows settings, but there's no benefit to doing so.
  • When it's cool enough to do so. If the CPU starts tripping thermal limits, it will clock down to prevent itself from getting hotter.

I want to get a 6700 non k version because i dont have a z170 motherboard, its max turbo frequency is 4ghz. My question is what do i have to do to have it always run at max turbo? Or am i better off with getting a 6700k for only slightly more that has a turbo clock of 4.2?

1 minute ago, xYowie said:

I want to get a 6700 non k version because i dont have a z170 motherboard, its max turbo frequency is 4ghz. My question is what do i have to do to have it always run at max turbo? Or am i better off with getting a 6700k for only slightly more that has a turbo clock of 4.2?

It will run at max when the CPU is getting used intensively and if it is adequately cooled. My i7-6800K runs at 3ghz on idle.. and only boost when gaming/editing

Two things:

• When there's enough work to do so. You can override this with UEFI and Windows settings, but there's no benefit to doing so.
  • When it's cool enough to do so. If the CPU starts tripping thermal limits, it will clock down to prevent itself from getting hotter.