Best linux distro for beginners

Right now i am using windwos and ubuntu and i am slowly wanting to go to only linux. 

So can you tell me which linux distro i should choose or should i just stick with ubuntu.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Just now, Dat Guy said:

Depends on why you want to go to Linux at all. There are different distros for different purposes.

Well, no tracking from anyone, wanna learn programming, barely any virus, it is relatively less recourse intensive. And it is fun to use. 

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

I've been working with linux a while now. I started with Mint and it's what I'd recommend for a beginner as it's very user friendly in my opinion.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

7 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

Well, no tracking from anyone,

Windows contacts Microsoft for updates.

Linux contacts your distributor for updates.

Everything else is configurable. By the way, I thought you were using Ubuntu?

wanna learn programming

No reason to use Linux. In fact, Windows supports programming in every language you can work with on Linux, plus .net languages (Delphi, C#, ...).

barely any virus

Not true anymore. Linux (due to its market share on servers) is a famous target for malware developers.

it is relatively less recourse intensive.

Depends on your configuration. openSUSE with default KDE settings is awfully resource-intensive. However:

And it is fun to use. 

I can't say much against that though. ;) 

So if you're after programming and low resources and you're still insisting on using Linux, I can recommend you to have a look at Slackware. Awesome distribution, large friendly community, doesn't ever get in your way.

Write in C.

Just now, Dat Guy said:

Everythign else is configurable. By the way, I thought you were using Ubuntu?

Dual booting on my laptop as secondary os when windows derps

Build

Spoiler

21 hours ago, hatuko said:

If you want to learn go with Gentoo :P

Shitty meme.

I would reccomend downloading Kubuntu. It looks good and feels more like windows. You can move on later to Arch linux or any more advanced distro. 

I used to use ubuntu on my old laptop, but have recently switched to manjaro with the xfce4 desktop environment.  I really just wanted to use an arch based OS to see if I would like it.  It has been pretty solid so far.  Matthew Moore and Spatry have some good manjaro tutorials on their respective youtube channels if you are interested.

Elementary OS

Got an Android, never going back to apple again (notice I spelled apple with a lowercase and Android with an uppercase)

If you want a challenge and really learn, try Arch. I'm going to try installing it myself this weekend and I to wanna get into programing. 

On 31.8.2016 at 5:55 PM, Morzone said:

If you want a challenge and really learn, try Arch. I'm going to try installing it myself this weekend and I to wanna get into programing. 

I am building a new system over the weekend and will install Arch on it.

The documentation for Arch, the wiki, is pretty damn good. You certainly won't be starved for information if you have to troubleshoot.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

On 8/24/2016 at 2:54 AM, DeezNoNos said:

Right now i am using windwos and ubuntu and i am slowly wanting to go to only linux. 

So can you tell me which linux distro i should choose or should i just stick with ubuntu.

I would recommend looking at a majority of favored Linux distributions before making a choice. If you want to know some favored distributions, feel free to ask. 

I started off with Ubuntu (not for long) and then switched over to Fedora and Manjaro. 

On 8/29/2016 at 8:33 AM, ha966 said:

Shitty meme.

I would reccomend downloading Kubuntu. It looks good and feels more like windows. You can move on later to Arch linux or any more advanced distro. 

Is Kubuntu a form of Ubuntu? Or a descendant or something like that? 

17 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

Kubuntu is Ubuntu with a different default desktop. 

ohhhhhhhh

On 8/31/2016 at 6:31 PM, Ethann_AKA_CPU1 said:

if you really want to learn linux then install arch linux the official way

I don't wanna sound dumb but what do people mean by this? I wanna try out Linux and Arch seems interesting since I always read good things about it.

On 9/4/2016 at 5:14 AM, Excitedtaco said:

I don't wanna sound dumb but what do people mean by this? I wanna try out Linux and Arch seems interesting since I always read good things about it.

If I can jump in; What basically the installation of arch does is do every step that will create your operating system in theory from just a terminal. You start with configuring partitions then deciding what filesystem you will use on them and where to mount them, then install some basic packages, configure closest server to get updates, configure bootloader, the display manager and desktop environment etc etc .... All step which are done while you do a normal linux install but in the case of Ubuntu simplified to a few steps in a GUI. The difference is that since you are doing everything manually on Arch you can thoroughly understand your system also keep it very barebone and decide yourself what u want to install. All the knowledge needed to understand this fully is usually taken in an Operating Systems class or an Operating Systems book if u are a self learner. Of course resources like the Arch wiki installation guide are very useful. 

main(){
  extrn a,b,c;
  putchar(a); putchar(b); putchar(c); putchar('!*n');
  }

a 'hell';
b 'o, w';
c 'orld';

On 8/24/2016 at 11:54 AM, DeezNoNos said:

First of all I do not agree with the statement there are different distros for different purposes. While this is most certainly true, there are actually distros with very specific purposes, however the most popular distros out there(Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, OpenSuse, Fedora, Arch etc) do the freaking same thing just have differences in the way they are managed and the way software is distributed for them. As for a beginner I would suggest in staying in a user friendly environment until you your way around how linux works and also for your own convenience. I personally would suggest you try Ubuntu MATE. It is a flavor of ubuntu, using the same ecosystem and software but it is quite resource efficient and user friendly offering a very nice way to install software called the software boutique. (very user friendly especially in the linux world). I would not advise against arch but since it tends to be bleeding edge in terms of updates it can (although very rarely) cause the system to break. And although u might know how to fix it, sometimes it can just be an inconvenience. Anyway its hard to explain too much just in here. If u want more help shoot me a msg 

main(){
  extrn a,b,c;
  putchar(a); putchar(b); putchar(c); putchar('!*n');
  }

a 'hell';
b 'o, w';
c 'orld';

Simply put, it depends on whether you are not happy with your current distro. If you don't like the way it looks (or maybe performs), then consider other Ubuntu-derived alternatives mentioned above.

Btw if you have Windows 10, you can now do basic Terminal stuff that Linux has to offer. Check this article to learn more - http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/08/enable-bash-windows-10-anniversary-update

Again, switching distros can mean potential nightmare in terms of drivers alone. So stay away from that unless you really can't stand Ubuntu.

Ubuntu Gnome has a unique, yet user-friendly feel, and is one of the most popular "starter" distros out there.

If you are a heavy programmer, chances are that the terminal is going to become your best friend, so install zsh and then oh-my-zsh. I find it better than the default bash (in general, yet to find any short-comings).

If you're more into the Arch side, try ApricityOS. Looks and feels amazing with built in ICE SSB support which allows you to turn websites into "apps" with a couple of simple steps. zsh and oh-my-zsh are installed by default.
Oh, and Uncomplicated FireWall (UFW) is pre-installed, so you can manage your firewall easily.

Ubuntu is the closest you can get to windows. Although , if you want a long-term linux-feeling user, go for archlinux. Even for beginners, with the wikia / youtube videos it is very easy nowadays.

20 hours ago, Lawrenz said:

>>the terminal is going to become your best friend, so install zsh and then oh-my-zsh. I find it better than the default bash (in general, yet to find any short-comings).

I waited years and regret not doing it sooner. oh-my-zsh provides some very useful plugins to zsh.

Edited by CRSaka..
Redaction to oh-my-zhs plugin claims: confused Vundle plugins with oh-my-zsh

BitBucket/Github:

PM if interested.

In accordance to Forum Community Standards:

No advertising of any non LTT/LMG material

• Personal websites or businesses

Signatures

• No Advertising/External Links, other than to other LTT forum posts