Desk and Work space Essentials

Undertow_

What non-tech items in your setup do you have that just seem to make life infinitely easier? One of the most useful things for me is one of these desk-caddy holders (https://www.amazon.com/Stock-Your-Home-Electronics-Organizer/dp/B000Y1L1MQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1472005349&sr=8-5&keywords=electronic+charging+station). Super useful for holding all of the miscellaneous bullshit on my desk. 

7 hours ago, Undertow_ said:

What non-tech items in your setup do you have that just seem to make life infinitely easier? One of the most useful things for me is one of these desk-caddy holders (https://www.amazon.com/Stock-Your-Home-Electronics-Organizer/dp/B000Y1L1MQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1472005349&sr=8-5&keywords=electronic+charging+station). Super useful for holding all of the miscellaneous bullshit on my desk. 

A good lamp is much more important than I thought it would be. I use this one: 

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-TT-DL01-Dimmable-Touch-Sensitive-Charging/dp/B00APAQSP6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1472032840&sr=8-4&keywords=taotronics+lamp

It's got everything. Adjustable brightness, adjustable colour temperature, timer, powered USB port, the works.

Also, you'd be surprised how much a few plants here and there improves a workspace.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

a stand for stuff you use often and don't want to lose. For example I have a phone stand and also a stand for my graphics tablet's pen (both made out of LEGO, so don't have a link)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Light and space (Lots of both). 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

An A4 book of grid paper for working out equations and an A6 daily planner. (I know digital options do exist but in classes its much faster to flip to the dog eared page and jot a line down.)

- snip-

I 3D printed a phone stand, but it's not great for a work space. Whenever I'm working on non academic things, I often find myself needing to write certain things down from my computer, so a pencil cup with some pens and pencils is useful. And sticky notes, sticky notes are amazing.

A second monitor is nice to have, a comfortable mouse, nice mechanical keyboard, and a large mouse pad. Think I got everything. 

ASU

On 8/24/2016 at 9:01 AM, MrDynamicMan said:

An A4 book of grid paper for working out equations and an A6 daily planner. (I know digital options do exist but in classes its much faster to flip to the dog eared page and jot a line down.)

I do the same thing for programming work and writing down todo lists and whatnot. Writing it with ink is a much better way to remember things in my opinion.

I have a whiteboard on one of my walls for math, but I also use it for... Well, a lot of stuff actually. The right side usually has a to-do list, some papers (on magnets), and maybe a list of credit charges. I've also got a massive architect's lamp bolted to the side of my desk that's pointed at the corner of my ceiling, it gives off plenty of ambient light.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.