NeoPixel Tie

So, this project has been in the works for a few weeks now, but I've finally gotten to a point where I feel it acceptable to share it with the forum. Partly inspired by this, partly inspired by computex 2016, I wanted to make a tie that flashes through all of the colors of the rainbow like a Corsair keyboard demo. So, with my limited Arduino knowledge, I picked up a bunch of parts, and tried prototyping my code. It's not finished and I still need help as I have not a damn clue what I'm doing, but the Adafruit Neopixel guides have been some help. Before we get started, some tags that I feel necessary: @iamdarkyoshi @Clanscorpia @themctipers @TheGhzGuy and what the hell, @straight_stewie will probably enjoy this. But anyway, on to the pictures!

I started with a cheap slim black tie that I had in my closet, tied it around my neck as normal, loosened, and took it off so I would have the length consistent for my neck. This is never to be untied as the electronics are all layed out based on how the tie fits on me.

IMG_3303.JPG

Next, I flipped it over, and plopped the Adafruit Gemma onto the back of the tip and stitched it in place on the ground, D1, and Vout pins. I tried soldering the thread in place, but I learned that stainless steel thread and solder don't particularly like each other that much. So, I guess I just have to hope that my crap stitches and knots hold up alright. I think I'll use some black thread to hold the battery in place, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. 

IMG_3307.JPG

So here's the rough layout or the rest of the pixels, as you can see, I did not have quite enough to carry the pattern of three across all the way, but whatever, the tie gets kinda narrow up there anyway so I think it's fine. Now to "wire" (is it really wire if it's thread?) them up. This gon take awhile.

ASU

This looks sick, gunna add this to my list /s . It does look super sick though

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Just now, CUDA_Cores said:

now run it off my 1.45KWh ebike battery. You probably would be able to power the tie for like, forever. 

Yeah by my rough calculations (not including the 10 ohm per foot or inch, not sure, of the wiring) I should be able to get like 40 hours of on time with the pixels and board pulling from that single battery which is about the same capacity of your average 18650, so yeah, 1.74 eternities on your monster.

ASU

10 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

now run it off my 1.45KWh ebike battery. You probably would be able to power the tie for like, forever. 

See if you can beat my lithium collection in a couple weeks...

Just now, CUDA_Cores said:

wait a minute, what lithium collection? Are you getting you hands on a bunch of 18650s also or something? 

Where have you been for the past 3~ weeks, it's all he talks about.

ASU

Awesome project!

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

If nothing else, this project will teach me how to judge where something is on the other side of a tie xD Currently wiring up the + side of all the Neopixels, hopefully I'll have all of the wiring done by next Monday.

ASU