R9 390X Xfire

Dave91

Hello LTT! 

So I was offered two 390X's for like 130USD, but before I buy them I wanted to check with you guys if I can even use them with my MoBo,  

It's a MSI Z87-G43,  I know it's old and all that,  but these gpu's don't use xfire bridge,  but is my mobo still good enough for the xfire through pci-e? 

David

MSI site

• Multi-GPU: AMD CrossFire Support

Yes it will,but 2x 390x's for $130 ? damnnn,even if you could not run CF i would still get them...

You will be fine, that deal though.....screw you.

Spoiler

CPU: i7 5930k  |  Motherboard: EVGA X99 Classified  |  RAM: 32 GB Crucial DDR4  |  GPU:  R9 290 Reference Tri-Crossfire w/Kraken g10 mod  | Case: Corsair 780t  |  Storage: Sandisk 960GB SSD, Crucial 960GB SSD, 128GB Sandisk SSD, Seagate 2TB Hard Drive, Seagate Archive Drive 8TB, HGST Deskstar 4TB  |  PSU: Rosewill Gold Lightning-1300, Display(s): Nixeus Vue 24"144Hz FreeSync, 50in TV, Yiynova MVP22U(V3) Tablet Monitor w/ Mechanical Arm  |  Cooling: Cosair H55, H105, 2*Kraken X41  |  Keyboard:  Rosewill Mechanical Brown Keyboard| Mouse: MX Master, G602  | Sound:  Sennheiser HD 700, Westone W40, SoundBlaster e5, Fiio e18

Yes it would work but damn, that deal though

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Would be a hell of a deal for that price. But it sounds sketchy because of it.

32 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

26 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Would be a hell of a deal for that price. But it sounds sketchy because of it.

i can assure you its real my friend,  from my uncle=) he is after the 1080 hype lol

47 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

MSI site

• Multi-GPU: AMD CrossFire Support

Yes it will,but 2x 390x's for $130 ? damnnn,even if you could not run CF i would still get them...

45 minutes ago, iLoiter said:

You will be fine, that deal though.....screw you.

46 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

People, please, don't just brainlessly say what you see on the internet.

MSI's site:

tBaeECD.png

First PCI-E slot is Gen 3 x16, but the second one is Gen 2 x4.

It will work, as Crossfire is much more flexible than SLI, but PCI-E 2.0 x4 will bottleneck the second card by around 10-15%, crippling your setup. OP should obviously get those two 390Xs for the insane price, but he also should get a better motherboard and check if his PSU can truly handle those two monsters.

Look here, different PCI-E speeds tested:

perfrel_1600_900.png

as you can see, PCI-E's 2.0 x4 bandwidth limits the Fury X by 10%. Not to mention that it's more impactful in dual-GPU setups and 390X's have that beefy, 512bit memory bus that needs that bandwidth to be fed properly.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

-snip-

Were not brainlessly saying that,he asked if it would work,it will,he did not ask if it will bottlenecked

Even if it does 390x CF for $130 justifies the second card being bottleneck even 30%...

Just now, keNNySOC said:

Were not brainlessly saying that,he asked if it would work,it will,he did not ask if it will bottlenecked

Even if it does 390x CF for $130 justifies the second card being bottleneck even 30%...

So you thought it wasn't worth mentioning that the bottleneck will be present and quite significant? It has nothing to do whether he should buy the GPUs or not, we all know he should get them in a heartbeat. Or did you simply not know that before or didn't check the mobo specs? G43 mobos from MSI are budget ones, and it was obvious it had a 2.0 x4 slot.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

4 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

So you thought it wasn't worth mentioning that the bottleneck will be present and quite significant? It has nothing to do whether he should buy the GPUs or not, we all know he should get them in a heartbeat. Or did you simply not know that before or didn't check the mobo specs? G43 mobos from MSI are budget ones, and it was obvious it had a 2.0 x4 slot.

10% is quite significant?

1 minute ago, keNNySOC said:

10% is quite significant?

It's more than 10%. Not only a 390X is bandwidth-demanding due to 512 bit memory bus, but also remember that the faster card will be able to work only as fast as the slower one in CF or SLI. Meaning that if the second card is being bottlenecked due to bandwidth limitations, so will the first card, even if it's in a 3.0 x16 slot. So you essentially lose 15% of performance. I think it's more than worth mentioning to OP.

19 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

snip

I'll admit that I should of probably pointed that out/noticed that but you could of worded the way you said it better. You coming off to me as a jerk.

Editted: A mistake

Spoiler

CPU: i7 5930k  |  Motherboard: EVGA X99 Classified  |  RAM: 32 GB Crucial DDR4  |  GPU:  R9 290 Reference Tri-Crossfire w/Kraken g10 mod  | Case: Corsair 780t  |  Storage: Sandisk 960GB SSD, Crucial 960GB SSD, 128GB Sandisk SSD, Seagate 2TB Hard Drive, Seagate Archive Drive 8TB, HGST Deskstar 4TB  |  PSU: Rosewill Gold Lightning-1300, Display(s): Nixeus Vue 24"144Hz FreeSync, 50in TV, Yiynova MVP22U(V3) Tablet Monitor w/ Mechanical Arm  |  Cooling: Cosair H55, H105, 2*Kraken X41  |  Keyboard:  Rosewill Mechanical Brown Keyboard| Mouse: MX Master, G602  | Sound:  Sennheiser HD 700, Westone W40, SoundBlaster e5, Fiio e18

2 minutes ago, iLoiter said:

I'll admit that I should of probably pointed that out/noticed that but you could of worded the way you said it better. You coming off to me as a jerk.

Editted: A mistake

I prefer to be a jerk that's right, rather than a very nice guy that's an idiot ^^ Not insulting you here in particular, saying that in general.

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It's more than 10%. Not only a 390X is bandwidth-demanding due to 512 bit memory bus, but also remember that the faster card will be able to work only as fast as the slower one in CF or SLI. Meaning that if the second card is being bottlenecked due to bandwidth limitations, so will the first card, even if it's in a 3.0 x16 slot. So you essentially lose 15% of performance. I think it's more than worth mentioning to OP.

%15 is not quite significant CONSIDERING that those are 390x's in CF that are paid $130,if it was a GTX 1080 paid $700 15% is quite significant,and you sound like your bashing on everyone and like you know everything tbh...

Just now, keNNySOC said:

%15 is not quite significant CONSIDERING that those are 390x's in CF that are paid $130,if it was a GTX 1080 paid $700 15% is quite significant,and you sound like your bashing on everyone and like you know everything tbh...

Again, you're not getting the point.

He SHOULD get those cards, that's not even up for a debate. That doesn't mean that he shouldn't be thinking about a new motherboard to gain 15% more performance for not much more money if he sells his current one. Noone also asked him about his PSU, we all know two 390Xs require a decent, high-wattage PSU to run properly. Preferably 850W one.

I "bashed" you, because none out of like four people mentioned ANYTHING about a bottleneck and that the second slot is actually a 2.0 x4 one.

6 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I prefer to be a jerk that's right, rather than a very nice guy that's an idiot ^^ Not insulting you here in particular, saying that in general.

Why not be a nice guy that not an idiot, meh different stroke for different folks.

Back on topic: Even with all of the performance hit, the deal makes up for it. Hell "a" r9 390x for 130$ is still a good deal.

Spoiler

Just now, iLoiter said:

Why not be a nice guy that not an idiot, meh different stroke for different folks.

Back on topic: Even with all of performance hit, the deal makes up for it. Hell "a" r9 390x is still a good deal.

Obviously, it's true, read my post above about that, the deal is INSANE imho.

5 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Obviously, it's true, read my post above about that, the deal is INSANE imho.

So,now i want you to,give me benchmarks of 390x's in CF on 2.0 x4 and the other card on 3.0 x16

1 minute ago, keNNySOC said:

So,now i want you to,give me benchmarks of 390x's in CF on 2.0 x4 and the other card on 3.0 x16

Wait as I'm leaving everything, running to buy another 290X (essentially the same card) and test it on the same motherboard that I own, it's a Z77 one, but still G43 with the same slots.

I tried CFX 7950s with my x16 + x4 mobo over 2 years ago.. micro stuttered like crap in many games. I avoid them if i were you but what the hell, it's only $130 so try them yourself and report to us. :P 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Get them anyway, then keep only one card (or upgrade the rest of your system as well). Sell the other, or keep it as a spare for another system, because at $130 you're getting one heck of a deal.

Ye ole' train

46 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

tBaeECD.png

Why does it say PCI-Ex16    2

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation

1 minute ago, Dresta said:

Why does it say PCI-Ex16    2

It says that there are two physical x16 slots. But the first one is 3.0 x16 electrical and the second one is 2.0 x4 electrical.