Need headset advice/opinons/help

Hi guys since I loved the (be it small but quick) support on my last post I decided to make another one this time about audio.

This week I broke (crushed them between the chair and closet trying to pick them up) my Corsair vengeance 1300 I won on a gaming contest 2 years ago. :(

I like the headphones a lot since they were free and good quality.

Nevertheless I wanted to try something new...

So I went online and cam up with some ideas to replace my headset.

I would appreciate anyone giving me opinions, new ideas or experiences they have had with the following products:

- Logitech G230 

- Logitech G430 (not sure on these since I read a lot of driver problems and audio cutting when using Voip like TS3)

- Logitech G35

- Razer Kraken pro 7.1

- Razer Megalodon

I would like to stay under 130-135 euros since that's my limit on what i want to spend on a headset

on an extra note I have read some posts on fora with people saying to go for stereo headset/headphones and use virtual surround software.

I know Razer offers free surround software. are there other/better software packages for simulating surround sound in stereo headphones??

Fire away and thanks in advance, hope my post is not too long and my English is understandable.

My Friend has Razer Krakens, they sound pretty bassy if that's what you like. I would recommend them.

Razer Surround isn't all that great by the way. Has issues, but if you're a gamer who likes his audio it is a useful thing to have.

Separate headphones and mic is what we typically recommend around here. Is there a particular online store you shop at where we can dig around and see what's available?

Don't buy a gaming headset they're terrible.

Look for an open headphone, how much are dt 990's and ad700x's I'm your country?

the only scenario I see myself recommending a logitech headset is if they activate their ultimate ears branch to make a headset from the ground up. I also don't see a headset like this selling under $300 unless logitech EA's ultimate ears to make something cheaper. 

I know you guys prefer actual headphones... I have read some threads herd and you guys are active. For this reason . Have been looking arount to alternatives like the sennheiser 558. Buy even w/o the Mic that would be stretching my budget :S

Another thing I need to make sure is I have a good Mic since 90% of my time gaming I use teamspeak to talk to friends and command people on raids [play guidwars]. So a good Mic is importand for me. And i'm not sure I want to start fiddeling and adding/glueing/taping a Mic to my headset.

As for microphones that stand on a desk... I own and love my Razer blackwidow ultimate.. unfotunately not everyone in the guild apreciates the noise it makes and microphones on a headset are less prone to pick up this noise because they are closer to my mouth

some people at my country (local forum) recommend AKG GHS-1, Logitech G230 / G430 or Sennheiser headset. But, headphone + mic clip on still the best.

Don't buy a gaming headset they're terrible.

Look for an open headphone, how much are dt 990's and ad700x's I'm your country?

I'm your country if you snift my drift.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

if you want a headset in particular in that budget look out for a Sennheiser PC 320 or 330's or if you could get a headphone get a Sennheiser HD 518  

SoulReaper Captain

some people at my country (local forum) recommend AKG GHS-1, Logitech G230 / G430 or Sennheiser headset. But, headphone + mic clip on still the best.

I live in belgium and AKG products are very hard to find here.

I am considering the G230 and not the G430 because it seems the G430 will cut audio when you use it with VOIP (like teamspeak).

if you want a headset in particular in that budget look out for a Sennheiser PC 320 or 330's or if you could get a headphone get a Sennheiser HD 518  

Will look further into the sennheisers.. never heard off them.. usually people recoommend the sennheiser pc360 but those cost 200euros (=280 canadian dollars) here in belgium and that's over my budget.

as for real headphones with clip mic/mod stuff... I would prefer nog to do this since I feel like it would get messy.. having an extra cable .. make sure the mic doesn't come off to easily.. when it comes to peripherals i like not having to mess with them...

However I might see myself going for a more comfy and "decent" sounding Headset with a good mic for gaming.

And buying a Good pair off headphones like the sennheisers HD558 for listening to music and editing videos with Christmass.

(apologies for my long sentences and bad english)

However I might see myself going for a more comfy and "decent" sounding Headset with a good mic for gaming.

And buying a Good pair off headphones like the sennheisers HD558 for listening to music and editing videos with Christmass.

That sounds like a good plan too.

I am considering the G230 and not the G430 because it seems the G430 will cut audio when you use it with VOIP (like teamspeak).

Will look further into the sennheisers.. never heard off them.. usually people recoommend the sennheiser pc360 but those cost 200euros (=280 canadian dollars) here in belgium and that's over my budget.

as for real headphones with clip mic/mod stuff... I would prefer nog to do this since I feel like it would get messy.. having an extra cable .. make sure the mic doesn't come off to easily.. when it comes to peripherals i like not having to mess with them...

Then use a desktop mic. You can pick up the blue snowflake for cheap. No point in buying the same thing twice, just buy some DT 990's or 558's with a desktop mic and you will be set.

Then use a desktop mic. You can pick up the blue snowflake for cheap. No point in buying the same thing twice, just buy some DT 990's or 558's with a desktop mic and you will be set.

Except he has a mechanical keyboard, and doesn't want to use push to talk.

Except he has a mechanical keyboard, and doesn't want to use push to talk.

You understand! :D I play MMO games and some FPS ... not only do I hate push to talk but also playing (elementalist in guildwars 2) MMO already feels like playing the piano w/o having to find a key to talk to everyone and holding it down almost constantly. (i talk a lot in games (a) )

You understand! :D I play MMO games and some FPS ... not only do I hate push to talk but also playing (elementalist in guildwars 2) MMO already feels like playing the piano w/o having to find a key to talk to everyone and holding it down almost constantly. (i talk a lot in games (a) )

this is my cheapass push to talk. I've been waiting for it to break so that I can finally mod it with some metal parts or something scavenged but after a couple of months of usage it still hasn't broke. 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Cool-USB-Foot-Switch-Foot-Control-Keyboard-Fast-Pedal-For-Gaming-Work-Black-/290941438527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bd760a3f&_uhb=1

this is my cheapass push to talk. I've been waiting for it to break so that I can finally mod it with some metal parts or something scavenged but after a couple of months of usage it still hasn't broke. 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Cool-USB-Foot-Switch-Foot-Control-Keyboard-Fast-Pedal-For-Gaming-Work-Black-/290941438527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bd760a3f&_uhb=1

I actually have thought about this (and 4 "key" models) for actual key modifiers but never thought about using it for PTT ... interesting.

Although, doesn't it take long to get used to pressing down with your foot each time you talk?

I actually have thought about this (and 4 "key" models) for actual key modifiers but never thought about using it for PTT ... interesting.

Although, doesn't it take long to get used to pressing down with your foot each time you talk?

after using that foot pedal I started to integrate my wireless xbox racing pedals into the formula. 

as a shadowpriest I used the racing wheel pedals for a non essential cooldown like prayer of mending basically something that rhythmically comes off cooldown and has a specific "beat" when listening to music what do you do? tap your foot to the beat. if I still played a resto druid I think I would love the foot pedals I remember I used to rock around in my chair in cadence with the cooldowns and the timing of heals and foot tapping would synergize well with that kind of playstyle. 

my non dominant foot is my push to talk foot pedal I kind of wish it had a stronger spring so that I can rest my foot on top of it like what they have with the stinky footboard but my foot sits a few inches upwards from the hinge so that I can rest it on there and activate it with the force of my toes (stronger spring is why I'm hoping for it to break so I can mod it) 

it did take a bit to get used to because my push to talk was on the thumb button of my nostromo n52 gamepad since 2006. but switching was needed because with steam's integration with xbox controllers I ALWAYS use a controller and a dedicated push to talk device like this was needed. 

after getting used to push to talk foot pedal I find I like it better because I used to have to choose to use a spell or a movement or hit the push to talk and moving the push to talk to a limb that doesn't do anything else in game I don't have to make the choice between pushing to talk or hitting that last spell. 

after using that foot pedal I started to integrate my wireless xbox racing pedals into the formula. 

as a shadowpriest I used the racing wheel pedals for a non essential cooldown like prayer of mending basically something that rhythmically comes off cooldown and has a specific "beat" when listening to music what do you do? tap your foot to the beat. if I still played a resto druid I think I would love the foot pedals I remember I used to rock around in my chair in cadence with the cooldowns and the timing of heals and foot tapping would synergize well with that kind of playstyle. 

my non dominant foot is my push to talk foot pedal I kind of wish it had a stronger spring so that I can rest my foot on top of it like what they have with the stinky footboard but my foot sits a few inches upwards from the hinge so that I can rest it on there and activate it with the force of my toes (stronger spring is why I'm hoping for it to break so I can mod it) 

it did take a bit to get used to because my push to talk was on the thumb button of my nostromo n52 gamepad since 2006. but switching was needed because with steam's integration with xbox controllers I ALWAYS use a controller and a dedicated push to talk device like this was needed. 

after getting used to push to talk foot pedal I find I like it better because I used to have to choose to use a spell or a movement or hit the push to talk and moving the push to talk to a limb that doesn't do anything else in game I don't have to make the choice between pushing to talk or hitting that last spell. 

The things we do for gaming ;) though I think I would still prefer a headset with a mic close to my mouth so i can tweak the activation so it does not pick up my keyboard.

As for multiple pedals, I am currently (after 6months) still struggling with a broken leg :S

But i think we are getting too far off topic now xD

(stronger spring is why I'm hoping for it to break so I can mod it) 

Gahd I hate it when I WANT something to break and it simply WON'T.... :)

If you want a good sounding Headset with a decent mic i would definitely recommend the SteelSeries 7H

(P.S your English is perfectly fine)

SoulReaper Captain

So I have decided... placed my order on a Razer Kraken 7.1 (got another 10%off at local shop)... It should be here tomorrow...

I will keep you guys updated on my experience...

It should be good enough for all my gaming needs and if I end up disliking it for music I will probably be buying another Headphone after Christmas.

So I have decided... placed my order on a Razer Kraken 7.1 (got another 10%off at local shop)... It should be here tomorrow...

It should be good enough for all my gaming needs and if I end up disliking it for music I will probably be buying another Headphone after Christmas.

what shop do you go to ? i live in belgium aswell and i want to buy the same headphones :D

I'm too late to tell you  :o 

http://www.kaskus.co.id/show_post/525f9714a2cb172278000000/6877/-

translate:
Kraken 7.1...
Like what I expect from Kraken sound
when use Kraken, you like at 5x5 room, the sound is reflected to every corner, like have an echo
very not natural sound
the staging is like very wide (but it's not. it's like forced to have wide soundstage)
with Rp. 1,35 million (or $99), but the sound quality is very bad
Razer, please fix your sound quality, even Steelseries now have good audio quality from Flux Pro

------

http://www.kaskus.co.id/show_post/525fa56d3ecb171354000005/6879/-

translate:

compared with ATH TAD300 with Realtek onboard chipset, still good ATH TAD300

------

he is very like to review about gaming gears and audio equipments (from headphone, earphone, and of course, DAC+AMP) (he is not SS fanboy. I know because he have lot of gaming gears, even DA2013 is his favorite mouse)