Corning Gorilla Glass 5 more scratch prone than GG4

thexzenon

retina_720.jpg

One of the (minor) selling points of the new Samsung Galaxy Note 7 was its new screen made of Corning Gorilla Glass 5, which is touted as being more shatter-resistant. This, however, may come at the cost of reduced scratch resistance as seen in the following video.

Galaxy Note 7 scratch test:

Spoiler

Testing starts at about 0:45.

As observed in the video, the screen gets scratched at a level 3 on the Mohs scale, whereas the previous version of the Gorilla Glass started showing signs at level 6 (see LG G5 test below).

Spoiler

According to Android Authority, two representatives from Corning have actually come out and claimed that the test is not accurate enough as it wasn't conducted in a controlled environment. They also claim that the marks on the screen might not even be scratches, but some leftover material from the picks used to test the screen.

Jaymin Amin, Corning's VP of Technology:

Spoiler

The hardness pick that was used in the video was a 3, that’s considerably softer than the glass material. Oftentimes when you have a softer material like that, and depending on what kind of loads you have used, you tend to see material transfer on the test substrate.

Material transfer on the test substrate is not necessarily a scratch but it can appear to the untrained eye as a pretty visible scratch. We don’t know whether or not that is what is being seen in the video. Certainly in the testing we’ve done internally, we don’t see that issue at all with similar picks on the Mohs hardness scale.

Jon Pasansky, Corning's Business Technical Director for Gorilla Glass added:

Spoiler

It’s a function of the difference in the hardness of the materials, but in particular the load is very important. So you could have a lower hardness pick with a much higher load and still achieve a condition that would look like a slightly higher hardness pick with a lighter load. It’s a combination of pressure and material hardness differences that exist between the pick and the material that’s being contacted.

My take on all this:

This discussion is only related to the scratch resistance of the new Gorilla Glass, which is indeed advertised as being more shatter-resistant. However, this doesn't mean that being more prone to scratches is fine. Many people use cases and screen protectors to keep their screens from shattering (and scratching) so they won't care about this. Many people (myself included), however, don't cover the phone as it ruins the aesthetics, so for those who are careful enough not to drop their phones the only problem remaining is scratching, which apparently is a bigger issue with GG5, compared to the previous model.

The representatives also mentioned that those marks might not be scratches, but remaining bits of material onto the screen. To me this sounds like some PR bullshit (never mind, proven wrong by you guys), because people won't care if their screen has leftover materials or actual scratches on them. A visible, irremovable mark is still a scratch in my book and I'm sure most users that complain about a mark will not say "I have some soft material debris on my screen" instead of "My screen is scratched".

I know this stuff isn't the biggest news ever, especially now that the tech news section is flooded by Zen rumors and news, but I still found this interesting and thought some you might want to know about. It is, after all, information that concerns the new Note 7.

Sources:

Article from Android Authority - http://www.androidauthority.com/corning-responds-samsung-galaxy-note-7-scratch-test-video-711210/

Videos linked in the spoilers above.

First things first, the mohs scale is not linear or particularly useful in a technical sense...

Secondly it just isn't possible for gc5 to be softer than mohs scale 3. Literally impossible. 

That said, trading scratch resistance for shatter resistance is actually a thing, and I wouldn't be surprised to see gc5 to be slightly softer than gc4 (which is much harder than gc3 and prior).

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

#ripharambe

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

6 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

#ripharambe

I was about to report you for shitposting and then the image loaded for me... :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

2 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

I was about to report you for shitposting and then the image loaded for me... :P

:P didn't you read the title of the thread. :Po.O 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

2 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

:P didn't you read the title of the thread. :Po.O 

*goes back and carefully rereads the title three times*

i-get-it.jpg

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Hmm interesting. Though shame if it's true cause phone is more prone to scratch at least what I'd say. We'll how it will go after. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, crisro996 said:

"To me this sounds like some PR bullshit"

It's certainly not PR bullshit, it's actually more scratch resistant. This coming from a family that works at Corning.

Generally, being scratch resistant and shatter resistant are two different goals that would tend to require the opposite material properties. To avoid scratches, you want a material that's very hard. But harder materials are usually also more brittle, making them more prone to shatter.

Of course they can work on getting better materials with a better combination of properties, but there's always going to be some tradeoff between scratch resistance and shatter resistance.

4 minutes ago, thefinalemblem said:

It's certainly not PR bullshit, it's actually more scratch resistant. This coming from a family that works at Corning.

It still scratched way easier than the thin sheet of Gorilla Glass 4 on the G5.

3 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

First things first, the mohs scale is not linear or particularly useful in a technical sense...

Secondly it just isn't possible for gc5 to be softer than mohs scale 3. Literally impossible. 

That said, trading scratch resistance for shatter resistance is actually a thing, and I wouldn't be surprised to see gc5 to be slightly softer than gc4 (which is much harder than gc3 and prior).

Yeah, regular glass has a hardness of ~5.5. So unless this thing isn't glass, there is no way a copper pick should be scratching it. At 2-2.5 we're talking about fingernails being able to scratch something, which for a screen designed for touch and pen controls is obviously not ideal. 

My guess is what looks like scratches are actually bits of his tools themselves getting rubbed into the screen. I've done this myself while testing hard minerals. I'll think I have scratched a mineral with a nail or something but it's actually the other way around and the nail is the one getting scratched.

So maybe they are not technically scratches, but the end result of a non-pristine screen is still the same. 

CPU: Intel 4790k Cooler: Corsair h100i Mobo: ASUS Z97-A RAM: Corsair 16GB Vengeance 1866 GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 Storage: Crucial mx100 512GB & x3 2TB HDDs Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl PSU: Seasonic SSR-650RM Monitors: Acer XB271HU and Asus VG236 Keyboard: Corsair Gaming k70 RGB Mouse: Cyborg RAT 7 Headset: Sennheiser 558 + Antlion ModMic 4.0 Speakers: Harmon Kardon Soundsticks

1 hour ago, Badly Browned said:

Yeah, regular glass has a hardness of ~5.5. So unless this thing isn't glass, there is no way a copper pick should be scratching it. At 2-2.5 we're talking about fingernails being able to scratch something, which for a screen designed for touch and pen controls is obviously not ideal. 

My guess is what looks like scratches are actually bits of his tools themselves getting rubbed into the screen. I've done this myself while testing hard minerals. I'll think I have scratched a mineral with a nail or something but it's actually the other way around and the nail is the one getting scratched.

So maybe they are not technically scratches, but the end result of a non-pristine screen is still the same. 

Except of course that you can wash off the "tool leftovers"

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

12 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Except of course that you can wash off the "tool leftovers"

Usually, but sometimes it takes some elbow grease to take it out.

Just saying it makes more sense than a screen that apparently can be scratched by a fingernail, which is what a sub-3 Mohs would entail. 

CPU: Intel 4790k Cooler: Corsair h100i Mobo: ASUS Z97-A RAM: Corsair 16GB Vengeance 1866 GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 Storage: Crucial mx100 512GB & x3 2TB HDDs Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl PSU: Seasonic SSR-650RM Monitors: Acer XB271HU and Asus VG236 Keyboard: Corsair Gaming k70 RGB Mouse: Cyborg RAT 7 Headset: Sennheiser 558 + Antlion ModMic 4.0 Speakers: Harmon Kardon Soundsticks

39 minutes ago, Badly Browned said:

Usually, but sometimes it takes some elbow grease to take it out.

Just saying it makes more sense than a screen that apparently can be scratched by a fingernail, which is what a sub-3 Mohs would entail. 

Oh yea, ofc. I just was lashing out against the OP's statement that it is the same thing as a scratched screen.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS