mechanical keyboard vs normal

TimZy

Hello guys,

I have heard a lot of good things about mechanical keyboards, but I´ve also heard that they type quite loud which I don´t like. (I Skype a lot) I have  seen this keyboard, which which has fast reaction time because the keys aren't that high, Roccat Isku FX Multicolor gaming. Is a mechanical keyboard a lot more different than a normal keyboard?

The typing experience is different on a mechanical keyboard. Most people like it over normal keyboards, but some don't. If you don't like loud keys, you can pick up a keyboard with the CherryMX Black switches.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The typing experience is different on a mechanical keyboard. Most people like it over normal keyboards, but some don't. If you don't like loud keys, you can pick up a keyboard with the CherryMX Black switches.

All chery mx switches are louder than normal membranes/scissor switches if you bottom out.

I bottom out, I hate mechanical s, membranes are comfortable (Chiclets ones)

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Cherry MX blacks are still pretty loud! I would go for Cherry MX Browns with O rings.

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

All chery mx switches are louder than normal membranes/scissor switches if you bottom out.

I was referring to the switch. Not people bottoming out.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

that's true. But most people do bottom out that will be coming from membrane. To yes I would suggest O rings perhaps that Logitech one.  Logitech G710+ :)

Also ask these guys about anything and They'll answer I'm like 80% sure ;)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/52-mechanical-keyboard-club/page-47

PROFILEYEAH

but still brown switches on there own aren't suppose to be loud as well, and also Reds don't either O.o if you were talking about switches on there own... out of the MX series only blues on their own are loud D:

PROFILEYEAH

Have you tried Topre Switches :D ? I haven't but they are supposed to be like a mix between (feel wise) mechanical and membrane.

In essence, the Topre switch feels first like a refined rubber dome and second in some ways reminiscent of some mechanical-contact switches such as the Cherry MX Red and Cream Alps.

Source: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Topre_switches

PROFILEYEAH

Are the blue MX's much louder than normal keyboards? I'm thinking of buying the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013, good choice?

Are the blue MX's much louder than normal keyboards? I'm thinking of buying the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013, good choice?

MX Blues are many multitudes louder than a traditional membrane keyboard (In my experience, the loudest of all the Cherry MX Switches). I'd recommend going for a Ducky instead, or something from CM Storm if you're more budget oriented.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

MX Blues are very loud (in comparison to non-mechanical). I'm typing this on Blues right now. It's currently 11pm and I'm trying not to bottom out my presses because the tactile "click" is loud enough to be heard in the next room if it's dead quiet let alone a full press. I'm using a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013. The Stealth Edition uses Browns which are a bit quieter.

They aren't good for family households + late night gaming. E.g. Me right now. :S

Needless to say, they're amazing to type on when you go hard.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

I love to type on my Filco Ninja blue switch. After a few months, I realize that my mechanical keyboard is precious. There is difference when you go to mechanical keyboard and switch back to membrane. So far from my experience from using them for several months. It seems like I only go back to membrane and rages when I playing a serious typing game and FPS gaming. In my opinion and feelings, if the money isn't bothering or hurt you each time stabbing the keys down on the metal plate and planning to buy new mechanical keyboard in the future, then go for the rough use. This is only my experiences when using the mechanical keyboard vs membrane. Membrane is just cheap and I like to rage press it freedomly anytime I want :P.

The typing feeling is just different. Usually it takes time to adjust if you are using a mechanical keyboard for the first time, but once you get used to it....in most cases people just don't want to go back to using membrane keyboards. Also, mechanical keyboards last. They're sturdy and durable. Sure they are more expensive, but you'll probably just buy 1 for the rest of your life :o OK maybe not that long, but at least for many years xD

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition