Best free antivirus for gaming

What is best and most simple antivirus for gaming. And of course for free.

Gaming Laptop: Dell G5 5587

Use the built in Windows Defender.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Common sense. Just playing games won't give you viruses.

Read: Not pirating or running software you don't actually trust.

Just now, Jade said:

Common sense is a nonsense reason. Common sense will only aid in prevention. It will not aid in stopping an attack.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Jade said:

Read: Not pirating or running software you don't actually trust.

common sense? i simply want a simple anti virus that wont affect much on my gaming.

who said im getting viruses?

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

i use avast, and even bought it. but i'd look elsewhere, because the client sucks 

i dont need to buy an antivirus because i wont use most of what it offers. Thanks!

Another vote for Avast. There gaming mode doesnt post any popups. It is also very lightweight.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

I'm using AVG Free edition but it is constantly trying to upsell me to the point I want to replace it.  All I want is basic virus protection, but it wants me to have browser protection, firewall, email protection all sorts of stuff that I don't really want.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

17 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Common sense is a nonsense reason. Common sense will only aid in prevention. It will not aid in stopping an attack.

Very few things will. If you get infected with anything new then it won't be detected. You know as well as I do that malware is constantly changing.'

17 minutes ago, Mr Fister said:

common sense? i simply want a simple anti virus that wont affect much on my gaming.

who said im getting viruses?

Right. Common sense won't affect your game. In fact, it might improve the game. Windows Defender in 10 is free, works well enough. Malwarebytes is also free. Works great as well.

8 minutes ago, Jade said:

Very few things will. If you get infected with anything new then it won't be detected. You know as well as I do that malware is constantly changing.'

Except many antivirus programs have heuristics which is improving constantly so they can improve on their ability to stop zero-day attacks. Yes, malware is constantly changing, but I see no reason why common sense is somehow superior to security software running on a PC.

Really, they should be going hand-in-hand with each other, acting as lines of defense. Common sense preventing someone from doing stupid stuff that would inevitably have their PC become infected, and the security software to be there to attempt to save their butts.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

On 8/16/2016 at 7:45 PM, Aytex said:

Malwarebytes, Windows defender, Avast

Malwarebytes is actually an antimalware program, not antivirus

12 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

Malwarebytes is actually an antimalware program, not antivirus

9b3.png

A Virus is a type of malware

Malware is the base term.........

A virus and malware are not two different things

a virus specific type of malware

• 5 weeks later...

Seems kind of toxic in here....

Generally though @Jade hits the hammer on the nail here, the best antivirus for gaming is no antivirus at all. The reasons I say this are:

1. Having an antivirus installed is kind of just bloat for your system. By default, most antivirus programs passively scan your computer in the background, Norton notoriously eats up a ton of CPU usage when it does this.

2. Free-antivirus software tend to only give you part of what their premium package offers. Even if you have free antivirus, its really only picks up on things every now and then. Unless you're clicking on every Ad you see or you go to those 'get rich quick' scam sites, you're not going to get a virus from browsing forums, watching YT or scrolling through FB most of the time.

3. All free-antivirus is generally nagware til' you purchase it. (i.e. Winrar) 

If I had to go with any antivirus, I would go with Avast! personally, though I would pay for at least the 'pro' protection which I believe is $20 a year. Not bad.

Just run a few tools periodically such as Spybot or like everyone else is saying, Malwarebytes, and do your research if something ever seems funky with your computer.

"I did it once... I can do it again! That's why I have two children" - Linus 2k15

7 minutes ago, ministrsinister said:

Generally though @Jade hits the hammer on the nail here, the best antivirus for gaming is no antivirus at all. The reasons I say this are:

Uh, this post is a month old, friend.

Just now, Jade said:

... I lurk a bit too much

"I did it once... I can do it again! That's why I have two children" - Linus 2k15

15 hours ago, Jade said:

15 hours ago, ministrsinister said:

... I lurk a bit too much

lol thanks anyways. i chose Avast or Windows Defender :) either one