Upgrading Windows 8 in UEFI mode?

mgsstar
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Hey,

I don't have a system with UEFI to test to know 100% for sure, but it should be like any Windows installation with the BIOS and the classic MBR partition.

You should not have to do anything.

If you do, at startup, disable SecureBoot in the UEFI setup, and once Windows 8 is installed, enable it back.

The above is assume a clean install.

For upgrade, it should be like a normal Windows Upgrade. Run the setup in Windows 7, and let the setup do all the work. Be sure to uninstall your security software before upgrading Windows 8, to make sure it won't block the setup and screw everything.

How do I upgrade Windows 8 from Windows 7 through windows in UEFI mode? If my boot drive is a GPT partition, would it automatically detect it and upgrade in UEFI mode? Please provide sources if you can. Thanks in advance.

@GoodBytes

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Hey,

I don't have a system with UEFI to test to know 100% for sure, but it should be like any Windows installation with the BIOS and the classic MBR partition.

You should not have to do anything.

If you do, at startup, disable SecureBoot in the UEFI setup, and once Windows 8 is installed, enable it back.

The above is assume a clean install.

For upgrade, it should be like a normal Windows Upgrade. Run the setup in Windows 7, and let the setup do all the work. Be sure to uninstall your security software before upgrading Windows 8, to make sure it won't block the setup and screw everything.

Also for the metro UI grid, is there any way to add more icons in the row and title them?

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Also for the metro UI grid, is there any way to add more icons in the row and title them?

This depends on your screen size and resolution (yes, it somehow knows your screen size).

So, a 10inch 1080p display, will only have, by default 3 rows. while on a 23inch, you'll have 6 rows. The tile is the same size, it knows which DPI setting to scale.

Anyway, to see if you can add more rows, simply go on the Start Screen, and do Win+I, and click on Tiles option.

If you see: Show more tiles, then you can add more tiles. If not, then your resolution or size of the screen is too low to support more tiles.

They are registry hack to force things, but they are reports it breaks other element(s), but all related to touch screen device, such as the on screen keyboard size being all wrong. I am mentioning this warning, because, well for your personal information if you get a Windows powered tablet one day or have one, but also, because you can have unreported issues, possibily. So something to keep in mind, if you fall with visual glitches, you know what 'caused it and revert back.

To force more rows: Open the registry and go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\Grid

Then create a DWORD (32-bit) called: Layout_MaximumRowCount

and then set the value you want.

Once done, signout of your account, and log back in. If the changes don't apply, then it's because it really doesn't support it.

Windows 8.1 is more nice, and allows to see the option in the Start Screen setting panel. I think it makes the tiles smaller if you didn't have it before, to fit another row. But I am not sure.. beside it's Preview stuff, not final, so it could be different.

This depends on your screen size and resolution (yes, it somehow knows your screen size).

So, a 10inch 1080p display, will only have, by default 3 rows. while on a 23inch, you'll have 6 rows. The tile is the same size, it knows which DPI setting to scale.

Anyway, to see if you can add more rows, simply go on the Start Screen, and do Win+I, and click on Tiles option.

If you see: Show more tiles, then you can add more tiles. If not, then your resolution or size of the screen is too low to support more tiles.

They are registry hack to force things, but they are reports it breaks other element(s), but all related to touch screen device, such as the on screen keyboard size being all wrong. I am mentioning this warning, because, well for your personal information if you get a Windows powered tablet one day or have one, but also, because you can have unreported issues, possibily. So something to keep in mind, if you fall with visual glitches, you know what 'caused it and revert back.

To force more rows: Open the registry and go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\Grid

Then create a DWORD (32-bit) called: Layout_MaximumRowCount

and then set the value you want.

Once done, signout of your account, and log back in. If the changes don't apply, then it's because it really doesn't support it.

Windows 8.1 is more nice, and allows to see the option in the Start Screen setting panel. I think it makes the tiles smaller if you didn't have it before, to fit another row. But I am not sure.. beside it's Preview stuff, not final, so it could be different.

So I tried the registry trick and it didn't work. :( Thanks for all your quick and detailed responses! :)

Yea, so that means your resolution is too low (or your screen size too small), for more rows. Maybe Windows 8.1

Off Topic: Is it possible to make it a section with 3 columns because I tried dragging it and it always gave me 4 columns besides adding blank tiles?