Where else can I put a headphone jack?

Sean

Hello,

I have a pair of speakers, but because I'm cheap I don't have the proper connections for them. Right now I'm using a cable that connects via a headphone jack, but I would rather not have to have it hanging in front of the computer because it's messy.

Will I be able to plug it into the audio at the back of my motherboard? It will be an ASRock Z77 Extreme3

If not, what are my other options that aren't expensive? I've seen sound cards with headphone out but they seem expensive.

I'm not sure about this, but are there monitors with headphone outs? If would using an HDMI cable (because it carries audio) and plugging it in there work?

Thanks!

Just about all motherboards have some form of output for speakers. It's usually the green headphone jack, the rest are different ways of routing 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 ect. You can invest in a soundcard for upgraded sound quality but that asks the question if the headphones/speakers are worth it.

you said you were cheap but you are willing to explore dropping cash on a monitor to clean up the look of your computer area?

there are some cheap usb sound cards that are as big as a usb thumdrive, but the cheapest solution would be to get a 99cent wire and tuck it around a desk leg or behind a cabinet

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5Ft-1-5M-3-5mm-Male-to-Female-Audio-Stereo-Earphone-Extension-Cloth-Cable-Black-/370646735874?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item564c445c02

I haven't actually bought the system yet and don't have a monitor, so getting a monitor with that option and hdmi cable would just mean a change, not necessarily adding as much cost as a soundcard

Thanks for the tips guys! I guess I'm down to worrying about stuff that barely matters, but I'm glad to figure it out!