Normal Temps?

Go to solution Solved by AuraDesru,
50 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

I believe that is the "intel enhanced speed step" and your C-states for frequency.  I have always had to use adaptive or offset voltage if I wanted my voltage to fluctuate.  It can be a bit tricky to keep things stable though when pushing close to the limit. 

So I found my answer on another forum, it was due to the fact that I had high performance in power options on at all time. Which led to the CPU always running on 4.3 ghz-4.5ghz all the time on all my cores. I set it to balanced and it dropped to 800mhz on idle. If I load up a program or game, it'll boost it up to 4.5ghz :D

Is this pretty normal for a MATX build? I've worried because it's almost reaching 90C. Watercooled by a seidon 120v btw.

8192166e53.png

7 minutes ago, AuraDesru said:

Is this pretty normal for a MATX build? I've worried because it's almost reaching 90C. Watercooled by a seidon 120v btw.

8192166e53.png

It's a little high. I would not worry to much though. Did you over clock? If so, go down to like 3.5 ghs. 

that voltage is a little on the high side but that is an OK temp would get  a better cooler

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

At what load level are you getting these temps, gaming or stress test like Aida64.

i7 4790K | MSI Z97S Krait | Gigabyte 980ti Gaming G1 SLI |  2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB + WD Black 4TB | EVGA Supernova P2 1200 | Phanteks Enthoo Primo (White)| Dell P2715Q x2 | Corsiar K70 | Corsair M95 | Full Custom Loop CPU + GPUs 

that seems reasonable to me for a 120mm if you are running something like p95 or IBT which I'm assuming you are judging by your min/max voltages.  That'd be a little concerning even for aida I think.  That voltage is decently high though, most 4790k's can do a little lower voltage for 4.6ghz but it does depend on the chip.  I can do 1.285v at 4.8ghz but I think I have a fairly decent chip. 

What are your gaming temps like?  P95 for me gets 90°c+ since I run 5.0 @1.43v, but I stay under 55°c while gaming in a hot room

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Those are my temps during gaming for a long time.

I did put my cpu to turbo performance in bios today for the lulz

Ill put it back to stock then.

My fractal case is really small so...

1 hour ago, AuraDesru said:

Those are my temps during gaming for a long time.

I did put my cpu to turbo performance in bios today for the lulz

Ill put it back to stock then.

My fractal case is really small so...

try manually overclocking.  I think you'll find you can do it while making less heat.  I would also probably try and remount your cooler just to be safe if you have more thermal paste.  Take a good look at it when you take the block off the cpu and see how well it's smashed down too

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

7 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

try manually overclocking.  I think you'll find you can do it while making less heat.  I would also probably try and remount your cooler just to be safe if you have more thermal paste.  Take a good look at it when you take the block off the cpu and see how well it's smashed down too

I havent replaced my thermal paste since last summer. I feel like getting a bigger case might solve the issue? 

Just now, AuraDesru said:

I havent replaced my thermal paste since last summer. I feel like getting a bigger case might solve the issue? 

getting a bigger cooler would help solve the issue probably, if you need a bigger case to do that then yeah it could help.  120mm isn't a lot of heat dissipation for a 4790k over 1.3v.

What kind of fan speeds are you running?  If they aren't at max then crank them to 100% or try better fans

2 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

getting a bigger cooler would help solve the issue probably, if you need a bigger case to do that then yeah it could help.  120mm isn't a lot of heat dissipation for a 4790k over 1.3v.

What kind of fan speeds are you running?  If they aren't at max then crank them to 100% or try better fans

Did that already in bios

Would the temp in my house effect it dramatically?

I dont have AC and its really hot in my room.

Usually the temps are lower than 80C

1 hour ago, AuraDesru said:

Did that already in bios

Would the temp in my house effect it dramatically?

I dont have AC and its really hot in my room.

Usually the temps are lower than 80C

yeah, your component/water temps rise 1° for every 1°c that the "ambient" temp rises.  Same thing with the water temp compared to your component temp.   but the difference between 80f and 70f in Celsius is only about 6°c so your temps would be about 6°c lower if your room temps were 10°f lower. 

One thing you can do to see if you just need more radiator space-

run a stress test like aida and what your load temps are like over time.  If they start around 70°c and then rise over time to 90°c then that is the "water" warming up because the radiator can't keep up the the amount of heat being put into the loop.  Every loop will increase water temps over time, but if it's going up 30°c over ambient then your cpu will also get that much hotter than it would with cooler water.  

A bigger radiator will get rid of more heat so it will balance out at a lower temperature

22 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

yeah, your component/water temps rise 1° for every 1°c that the "ambient" temp rises.  Same thing with the water temp compared to your component temp.   but the difference between 80f and 70f in Celsius is only about 6°c so your temps would be about 6°c lower if your room temps were 10°f lower. 

One thing you can do to see if you just need more radiator space-

run a stress test like aida and what your load temps are like over time.  If they start around 70°c and then rise over time to 90°c then that is the "water" warming up because the radiator can't keep up the the amount of heat being put into the loop.  Every loop will increase water temps over time, but if it's going up 30°c over ambient then your cpu will also get that much hotter than it would with cooler water.  

A bigger radiator will get rid of more heat so it will balance out at a lower temperature

I don't have that space to fit a bigger radiator :\

I set my clocks on my bios to default. It's currently only stuck at 4.00 ghz and the max on load is 57C. Do you know if there is anyway to set it to where the CPU will only boost the clocks to 4.5ghz if the load becomes necessary. If I use XMP profile or turbo boost in my bios. It just keeps it around 4.3-4.6ghz for some reason. I don't know whether updating my bios changed how turbo boosting works.

28 minutes ago, AuraDesru said:

I don't have that space to fit a bigger radiator :\

I set my clocks on my bios to default. It's currently only stuck at 4.00 ghz and the max on load is 57C. Do you know if there is anyway to set it to where the CPU will only boost the clocks to 4.5ghz if the load becomes necessary. If I use XMP profile or turbo boost in my bios. It just keeps it around 4.3-4.6ghz for some reason. I don't know whether updating my bios changed how turbo boosting works.

I believe that is the "intel enhanced speed step" and your C-states for frequency.  I have always had to use adaptive or offset voltage if I wanted my voltage to fluctuate.  It can be a bit tricky to keep things stable though when pushing close to the limit. 

50 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

So I found my answer on another forum, it was due to the fact that I had high performance in power options on at all time. Which led to the CPU always running on 4.3 ghz-4.5ghz all the time on all my cores. I set it to balanced and it dropped to 800mhz on idle. If I load up a program or game, it'll boost it up to 4.5ghz :D