Take control of friend's desktop environment from a distance

Crowcore

Greetings,

A very non-techie friend of mine has a small software issue that I could fix in 5min (talking him through it would take hours, believe me). I remember 10 years ago a colleague of my mother "took over" our home PC from his office for the same reason. 

How can I do this ? Is there a feature in Windows or is an additional program required ? I was 13, I don't recall. My contact has Vista (32bits I think) and I Seven 64 bits Pro.

Thanks in advance!

Gotomypc, i think you have to pay for it, you could use team viewer as that is free even if its quite laggy.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Teamviewer. Or you can do it through the built in Windows networking feature, but it's probably easier to do the former.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

teamviewer would be the way, but there are some serious flaws, one the password thing that makes it if he powers it off you will have to relog so its not really good for long periods of control,

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Teamviewer. Or you can do it through the built in Windows networking feature, but it's probably easier to do the former.

Thanks. Tell me more abt this built-in networking feature... Is it really hard to use for someone who doesn't know anything abt internet and networking protocols ?

Thanks. Tell me more abt this built-in networking feature... Is it really hard to use for someone who doesn't know anything abt internet and networking protocols ?

Its not hard to set up per se because there are a lot of guides available online. Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection is pretty useful but imo teamviewer is more user friendly due to the fact that there are less steps required to set it up. My only experience with RDC is within my own home network, controlling various computers in different rooms and such. Nowadays, my go-to is Teamviewer for communication at any distance.

There are a bunch of things you have to enable first should you decide you want to use RDC. Microsoft has a walkthrough in their FAQ.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/connect-using-remote-desktop-connection#connect-using-remote-desktop-connection=windows-vista

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB