Seagate launches a monstrous 60TB SSD

Do you want one 60TB SSD?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want one 60TB SSD?

• Yes!
    • Yes! I want more than a PB!
    • No! That's a waste!

If you’ve been wanting as much storage as possible in an SSD form factor that doesn’t break the bank, well, you’ll have to keep waiting.

But for those few with enough money to buy a private island — or at least a private data center — Seagate Technology has taken the wraps off of an unbelievable 60TB solid state drive (pictured above) at the Flash Memory Summit in Silicon Valley. 

The drive features a power efficiency of just 4TB/watt (15 watts total), comes in a 3.5-inch form factor packed with ultra-dense 3D NAND flash from Micron,

and delivers more density than two 16TB 2.5-inch SSDs as a result.

The 60TB SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) SSD is intended for large-scale enterprise data centers that need maximum storage and compute performance.

With just 17 of these drives, you can hit 1PB of storage; Seagate says it’s ideal for large local or cloud-based storage arrays, active archives, online video, and read-intensive environments.

According to Anandtech, the drive sports dual port 12Gb/s SAS, with sequential read and write speeds of 1.5Gbps and 1Gbps, respectively.

Seagate claims the drive simplifies the process of accommodating “hot” and “cold” data, eliminating the need to separate data out for “near-term availability or long-term storage.” Seagate also says the drive can hold 400 million photos or 12,000 DVDs, and that the design can scale to a 100TB version as well.

That said, the company is calling the 60TB SAS SSD a “technology demonstration,” so it may still have some work to do on the reliability side before it’s ready for sale.The Seagate 60TB SAS SSD is due to arrive sometime in 2017, the company says. As for price, we imagine it’s a classic case of “if you have to ask,” though Seagate is promising the lowest cost-per-gigabyte on the market today.

Either way, the drive qualifies as literally the world’s largest SSD, almost quadrupling the size of the 16TB SSD that Samsung announced last year and began shipping this past March for a cool $10,000.

At the same event, Seagate also unveiled the 8TB Nytro XP7200 NVMe SSD, which features a single PCIe interface and four separate controllers.

The goal for this drive, Seagate says, is to deliver as much performance as possible using a single PCIe slot, crucial for high-performance computing in weather modeling and other types of science research. The 8TB Nytro XP7200 will arrive before the end of this year; pricing remains unknown for this model as well.

Sources: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/233358-seagate-unveils-the-worlds-largest-ssd-60tb

Repost.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

I don't even have a 250gb SSD. :(

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

4 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Behind Walmart.

Thanks for the tip,but i think i don't want to lose my hole body...