Upgraded CPU, computer being weird, anything I can do besides reinstalling windows?

Jerochy

Hey guys,

I have this desktop at my GF's house and today I upgraded the cpu to a i7 860. I thought that windows 10 would be alright with me installing a new cpu without reinstalling because I've done it to a desktop in the past, and actually the hard drive with windows 10 on this computer was from a completely different computer without a reinstallation. 

I booted up and got some kinda sign in error, pressed ok, and things were a little strange. My resolution is only 720p and my screen is 1080p and when I went to switch it in display settings, I saw it was capped at 720p. So then I thought I had to reinstall my GPU drivers (hd 6950). I tried to autodetect drivers on AMD's website, and it could detect an amd product even though my video is through it, not onboard graphics. Then, I just manually installed drivers, and I keep getting a "Catalyst install manager has stopped working" error at around 16% through the installation. 

When I tried to uninstall raptr and the control center completely, not just the drivers, control panel wouldn't open. I restarted the computer, tried again, still wouldn't open. I ended up going through settings and apps to uninstall it, and I went to install the drivers again and I'm getting the same error. 

Clearly, a windows reinstallation is lookin like it would solve most my problems, but I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do besides that as I'm at my GF's house tonight and my usb with windows 10 is at my house? Any ideas? 

Thanks.

Probably just a driver glitch. What cpu did you upgrade from?

run that program that removes all traces of amd drivers and then reinstall..

its somewhere, i forgot the name.. @GreezyJeezy defenately knows.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

On 8/10/2016 at 7:24 PM, themctipers said:

run that program that removes all traces of amd drivers and then reinstall..

its somewhere, i forgot the name.. @GreezyJeezy defenately knows.

DDU

1 minute ago, ChipTech said:

Probably just a driver glitch. What cpu did you upgrade from?

i3 550

yup, when you go from a dual core to a quad core, windows can get screwy. You might just have to reinstall windows.

Just now, ChipTech said:

yup, when you go from a dual core to a quad core, windows can get screwy. You might just have to reinstall windows.

crapppppppppppp alright thanks.

yea, np. I know your pain, reinstalling windows sucks.

anyway good luck

3 hours ago, Jerochy said:

crapppppppppppp alright thanks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Clear CMOS first and try.

Also reinstall drivers.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)