No Man's Sky - STEAM or GOG?

JJBTEXAS

Where will you send your $$  

47 members have voted

1. 1. GOG or STEAM?

• GOG - DRM free for life
    • STEAM - Valve or bust
    • Not interested in NMS

Who's buying No Man's Sky and what service are you using?  

3 minutes ago, JJBTEXAS said:

Who's buying No Man's Sky and what service are you using?  

Going forward I plan to use DRM free as much as possible so GoG

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Neither because NMS looks really empty and boring to be honnest ! 

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

8 minutes ago, roylapoutre said:

I don't know it could become awesome, right now it's basically a find and sell game in a massive universe. 18 trillion planets I believe.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

22 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Going forward I plan to use DRM free as much as possible so GoG

I'm a huge fan of the DRM free obviously, but some of Steam's features are just so darn convenient.  For example, if they later release a Linux version, I would have both.  I don't think GOG does that.  Also, Steam Link to the bedroom TV!

21 minutes ago, roylapoutre said:

I'm on the fence.  The delay of the PC version didn't even bother me because I was going to wait for reviews of the game play.  Depending on which reviews you read, the most consistent complaint seems to be about graphics (draw distance, textures, etc).  I'm hoping the PC version really gets to stretch it's legs a little more with the much stronger hardware.

1 minute ago, JJBTEXAS said:

I'm a huge fan of the DRM free obviously, but some of Steam's features are just so darn convenient.  For example, if they later release a Linux version, I would have both.  I don't think GOG does that.  Also, Steam Link to the bedroom TV!

I

True, but you can add any game to steam and stream it through steam link without owning a steam version

but I agree, steam cloud saves, steam link and others are all great

i mean currently 98% of my pc games are through steam and I have like 650, so i guess it seems pointless to move towards DRMf ree

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

51 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

True, but you can add any game to steam and stream it through steam link without owning a steam version

but I agree, steam cloud saves, steam link and others are all great

i mean currently 98% of my pc games are through steam and I have like 650, so i guess it seems pointless to move towards DRMf ree

Yeah, cloud save is amazing.

I wonder if it's ethical to get it through Steam, but download a DRM free version for safe keeping.

1 minute ago, JJBTEXAS said:

Yeah, cloud save is amazing.

I wonder if it's ethical to get it through Steam, but download a DRM free version for safe keeping.

Eh, if it comes to it in the future im sure you can download something if steam ever shit down, but they have a plan for that apparnetly, so it might never matter

Ethical? eh kinda, on the fence

I bought the Witcher 3 from GoG (the price was incredible for all the games in a bundle) and my love GoG. But for a game like NMS Ifeel like the GoG "advantages" are not super big compare to Steam cloud, achievements (trading cards maybe?) number of hours played, steam overlay etc. etc. etc. 
I mean the biggest advantages is to play the game on 2 computers at the same time...? (Which is not accepted into the end user agreement of GoG if im right)

(Me i would like to have a steam version with all the bonus from steam and a standalone game like GoG if im offline but sadly this isnt really possible except if i buy both games version.)

Im all in to own my games at 100% but what are the advantage you guys find that make the switch worth it to you?

If/when I do buy it, my choice will probably depend on whether the best price available is a Steam code or a GOG code. All things equal I'd rather have the GOG version of a game, but I probably wouldn't buy No Man's Sky while all prices are equal.

I would go for steam, lately gog has let you redeem games that you already own on steam there too, so there's a chance that may happen in the future for this title too.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

If and thats a big if atm. Steam. But what i have seen so far, is very repetitive and becomes boring very quick. I wait with NMS.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 minute ago, Praesi said:

If and thats a big if atm. Steam. But what i have seen so far, is very repetitive and becomes boring very quick. I wait with NMS.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

18 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

I don't know it could become awesome, right now it's basically a find and sell game in a massive universe. 18 trillion planets I believe.

Yes I know but I feel like it was sold solely for its huge universe. I mean, more is not always better if you have nothing to do ! I prefer a smaller universe, but a rich one rather than what seems to be NMS... And believe me, I find the concept of an entire universe to visit awesome but I want content and some changes in the world. NMS feels empty and repetitive, and it was only sold as an infinite universe, but nothing else. If you look at the gameplay itself, it's pretty simplistic and lazy. 

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

Not buying it yet. I want to see some footage from it on PC and maybe a little bit of the end-game. 

1 hour ago, noobadin said:

I'll be torrenting it and saving $60 USD.

The devs are happy to release it drm free on gog on day one and bell ends like you abuse it.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

i have a couple of games bought on GOG already including witcher 3, and all work pretty well (though a few of them still require some hoops to go through). steam's cloud save i don't like as much anymore cause some games don't support it. and if my pc gets screwed over, but i didn't back up my saves... it already happened with Dark Souls 3 and plenty others. neverthless, i'll miss steam link and possible linux support. 

28 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

The devs are happy to release it drm free on gog on day one and bell ends like you abuse it.

let's face it - there'll always be pirates. maybe devs should be more creative when people pirate their games, and i think a few games already do some pretty funny stuff in pirated versions. 

GOG is good in it with DRM and cloud saving however it requires hoop jumping (No prepaid cards, PayPal obviously limited unless tied to your BANK! and I have trouble trusting services with my debit card) and sales MAY not be as impressive than Steam. Steam is easy, convenient and you could catch a good price especially during sales but DRM is real and cloud service MAY get flakey but remember NMS uses there OWN servers for that. But honestly I can't get myself to buy it No Man's Lag aka So Arkham Sky is just not good performance wise and will get boring after 5 hours of gameplay

Build Name:

Anton

CPU: I7 4790K

GPU: ZOTAC RTX 2060 SUPER AMP EXTREME

RAM: 16GB 1600MHZ

MOBO: MSI H81M-E33

CASE: COOLER MASTER N300

PSU: THERMALTAKE 600 WATT

STORAGE: TOTAL 6.5TB, 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO BOOT DRIVE, 2TB HDD 1, 2TB HDD 2, 2TB WESTERN DIGITAL USB 3.0 BACKUP DRIVE

- CRACK!

On 8/11/2016 at 4:31 PM, Thozi said:

Not buying it yet. I want to see some footage from it on PC and maybe a little bit of the end-game. 

95IOWre.png

And the graphic of this game is no better than 2008 games

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

On 8/11/2016 at 5:53 PM, leelaa14 said:

That's why I like Steam. 

On 11. 8. 2016 at 10:08 AM, roylapoutre said:

Yes I know but I feel like it was sold solely for its huge universe. I mean, more is not always better if you have nothing to do ! I prefer a smaller universe, but a rich one rather than what seems to be NMS... And believe me, I find the concept of an entire universe to visit awesome but I want content and some changes in the world. NMS feels empty and repetitive, and it was only sold as an infinite universe, but nothing else. If you look at the gameplay itself, it's pretty simplistic and lazy. 

On 10. 8. 2016 at 3:55 PM, vorticalbox said:

Elite Dangerous has 400 billion systems and thats already too much, also there is more to do in Elite than nms ,its also cheaper

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

5 hours ago, GarnetDevil said:

95IOWre.png

And the graphic of this game is no better than 2008 games

Could be wrong but I think there's some other kind of issues with the game than performance issues, which just seem like FPS dropping and such.

My 750TI - i5 4600 rig is rocking the game with way higher settings than the "optimized" settings determined by nVidia, and I don't see my FPS dropping that much yet no matter what I've done. Truth be told I haven't really measured my FPS and being pretty much blind as a bat when it comes to over 30 FPS I think I might even be somewhat wrong when I think I don't get any issues.

But overall the complaints about not being able to run it with "good setup" are in my stand point probably just compatibility issues and glitching.

Edited by U.Ho