Theatre Vs Netflix

Paranoid Kami

I had watched the Star Wars movie when it first came out in the cinemas and hated that pile of crap, but then I decided to check it out again in Netflix just today and actually enjoyed the movie for some reason. Is there something different in the Netflix version like not being 24 fps blurry garbage or something? Better audio? I don't know, but there is a difference of some kind to make me actually like it. Maybe because the theatre one is more blown up so I could see every detail. Maybe it's because I wasn't expecting much and had lower standards watching it a second time.

Things I remember hating in the theatre version: Ren's face, production value dropping after beginning, fighting where people stand out in the open, never get shot and kill everyone,  and the lightsaber fight at the end for having no skilled combat of any kind.

Netflix version used: Windows 10 desktop app

Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z

Audio: Sennheiser PC 350 SE

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:06 AM, Paranoid Kami said:

I had watched the Star Wars movie when it first came out in the cinemas and hated that pile of crap, but then I decided to check it out again in Netflix just today and actually enjoyed the movie for some reason. Is there something different in the Netflix version like not being 24 fps blurry garbage or something? Better audio? I don't know, but there is a difference of some kind to make me actually like it. Maybe because the theatre one is more blown up so I could see every detail. Maybe it's because I wasn't expecting much and had lower standards watching it a second time.

Things I remember hating in the theatre version: Ren's face, production value dropping after beginning, fighting where people stand out in the open, never get shot and kill everyone,  and the lightsaber fight at the end for having no skilled combat of any kind.

1) The movie was shot in 24fps and Netflix would also be streaming it at 24fps.

2) The audio in the theater would be superior.  Digital Cinema Package (The standard format for cinema distributing) uses Linear Pulse Code Modulation (LPCM) for it's audio format.  That's true uncompressed audio with up to 16 channels, 24bit, and 96khz, where as Netflix best audio format is lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 (Commonly called 'AC-3') which is a compression codec dating back to the 1990s.

3) The very idea that you might like a movie better just because of audio compression or frame rate is foolish.  Those don't make you 'enjoy' a movie better.  Any difference you experienced is almost certainly not technical but psychological.  For some reason you just enjoyed the movie from the perspective you had on the second time round.  Stop trying to assign a technical cause to that.

4 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

1) The movie was shot in 24fps and Netflix would also be streaming it at 24fps.

2) The audio in the theater would be superior.  Digital Cinema Package (The standard format for cinema distributing) uses Linear Pulse Code Modulation (LPCM) for it's audio format.  That's true uncompressed audio with up to 16 channels, 24bit, and 96khz, where as Netflix best audio format is lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 (Commonly called 'AC-3') which is a compression codec dating back to the 1990s.

3) The very idea that you might like a movie better just because of audio compression or frame rate is foolish.  Those don't make you 'enjoy' a movie better.  Any difference you experienced is almost certainly not technical but psychological.  For some reason you just enjoyed the movie from the perspective you had on the second time round.  Stop trying to assign a technical cause to that.

I was shocked that I actually liked the movie the second time so I had tried to search online to see if there was a technical difference or if it was physiological and came up with nothing. Decided to make a post here to see if anyone actually had any information on it. Thanks for that.

2 hours ago, Paranoid Kami said:

I was shocked that I actually liked the movie the second time so I had tried to search online to see if there was a technical difference or if it was physiological and came up with nothing. Decided to make a post here to see if anyone actually had any information on it. Thanks for that.

i personally enjoyed episode 7 in theaters more than me streaming it via... illegal means.

although i went to "ultra avx" (cineplex)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

• 3 weeks later...

I found Star Wars: The Force Awakens to be better with a second viewing because I accepted it as an enjoyable film, however I don't think it is a masterpiece or as good as The Dark Knight or Blade Runner.

I think you have a more realistic and grounded expectation when you view it the second time because you are not expecting it to exceed your expectations anymore.

On 2016-08-10 at 0:06 AM, Paranoid Kami said:

@AshleyAshes has some great points about the technicals.

However, I will say that the particular theatre, and the quality of their equipment, CAN make a difference in visual/auditory quality. However, if you went to any of the major chain theatres, you likely had amazing quality.

I saw it in theatres using Landmark Cinemas (Formerly Empire Theatre), and their "EXTRA" projection/sound system (It's their in-house version of UltraAVX or Digital IMAX), and the quality was fucking kickass.

So you just liked the movie more the second time. Don't think about it too much, it's just psychological. There's not an "extended" cut or anything (yet lol).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)